5.0 vs challenger 392

dynasty_365

Established Member
Hadn't really seen anybody bring this up so I'm still wondering who wins this race. I hadn't ran across one since they came out. 412hp vs 475?? Although technically the challenger price is in the cobra territory but it's N/A. Is it a drivers race or what? Pull up next to one o the street who wins??

blake_colvin

Established Member
I think the win will go to the 5.0.. simply because of weight, the challenger 392 will put down around 410-420whp and the 5.0 will put down around 380whp and theres about at least 150lbs weight difference..

150lbs is good for at least a 10th/ a car length and 50whp is not going to make up that car length difference so i say the 5.0 GT would win by 1-2 full car lengths depending on driver..

dynasty_365

Established Member
Huh. No man the challenger weighs a good 400 pounds more than the 5.0 it's like 3600 and the challenger is 4000 if I'm not mistaken. Hell it might even b 4100. Let me check right quick

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkreHYwJt6g"]‪Mustang 5.0 vs Challenger 392‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mustang by a 1-2 cars from a roll.

From a dig I say challenger to the 1/4

Last edited:

dynasty_365

Established Member
Yea I saw that video. That's the same one that's been on YouTube for a while now. Nomote have come up since those. I wish I could see more races between those but I dnt think many people have that challenger 392.

blake_colvin

Established Member
Huh. No man the challenger weighs a good 400 pounds more than the 5.0 it's like 3600 and the challenger is 4000 if I'm not mistaken. Hell it might even b 4100. Let me check right quick

Dang okay well yea i think the 5.0 would have the advantage due to weight still..

I think it will be tight from a dig or roll.. still think the 5.0 will win by 1-2 cars.

Is there one around your area that you plan on racing.. if so dont forget the videos.

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
Watched a 5.0 and a 392 do a 40 roll the other night and it was about door to door the whole way. Gain, shift, drop back, gain, shift drop back etc etc. Ive seen a couple local 392's go 12.3 with 113 traps.

04nccobra

Established Member
Bone stock, the Challenger takes the win. Lightly modified it will be a great race.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
From videos Ive seen online the 5.0 pulls acouple cars on the 392 from 40ish rolls. Havent seen much else. I think a stock camaro ss and a challenger 392 would be a very good race.

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
Not at all. The 392 mops the SS up and has been beating the 5.0 as well stock for stock. A lot can be said for drivers ability etc as always though. The SS is the kitten of the bunch now.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Not at all. The 392 mops the SS up and has been beating the 5.0 as well stock for stock. A lot can be said for drivers ability etc as always though. The SS is the kitten of the bunch now.

Id say there are just as many wins on the 5.0s side. They both trap the same. Its a good drivers race.

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
I agree 100% the 5.0 and 392 are a drivers race. Id love to get a 5.0 and daily it. Im just broke from owning a mopar lol.

JDsfastGN

Established Member
i just watched 3 vids on yourtube of 392 cars getting the W against a 5.0 (barely) and they were all auto 392s... One vid it looked like it was well into triple digits before he finally got around him though. Should be a good run.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
i just watched 3 vids on yourtube of 392 cars getting the W against a 5.0 (barely) and they were all auto 392s... One vid it looked like it was well into triple digits before he finally got around him though. Should be a good run.

I watched acouple vids where the 5.0 won by acouple cars.....so it swings both ways.

dynasty_365

Established Member
yea probably a drivers race. and nah haven't seen one in my area. all u see around here is camaros and not even the ss just base v6 or rs packages. i've only seen the videos online and look the 5.0 took one race and the 392 took one then i saw another where they were door to door.

its not really a car you'll see around cuz fully loaded its damn near 50k if im goingto pay that for a car i'd grab a cobra. for 50k they r bout neck and neck with a 30k base 5.0. y pay 50k for that i can get a cobra and know i'm going to beat something instead of worrying if ima beat something ya know

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
y pay 50k for that i can get a cobra and know i'm going to beat something instead of worrying if ima beat something ya know

....i think the people that buy them are mostly die-hard mopar fans...given the fact that they are building a little over 1100 for the US.
i dont think they are necessarily buying them strictly for the performance aspect...

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
....i think the people that buy them are mostly die-hard mopar fans...given the fact that they are building a little over 1100 for the US.
i dont think they are necessarily buying them strictly for the performance aspect...

I agree. still the best retro design imho. but the 2011+ shelby gt500 is the best looking american made muscle car.

cobra199711

Established Member
I speak from experience (rode with my buddy)- from a 60 mph roll against the 392 which was already about half car in front and hits it first- The 5.0 caught up and was dead even till 120is.

The 5.0 is bone stock 450 miles and an auto. The 392 not sure it sounded like it had exhaust though.

Users who are viewing this thread