5.0 Turbo build w/CPR's prototype kit!!! Warning: Pic heavy!!!

keoni1984

Established Member
Hey everyone! I know this is my first thread on svtp, but just thought I'd share what I've got goin on with my 5.0!
I've personally done all the current mods to the car thus far(see sig), but now she's at CPR's shop waiting for the installation of Dustin's prototype turbo kit.
First off, I have to say what an awesome dude Dustin is... the guy is a wizard with a welder (as most of you know, I'm sure)! He has a wealth of knowledge and experience, but not only that, he's definitely a stand-up guy. Helps you out at every corner answering questions left and right. He's even a cooler dude in person.
I can't even tell you guys how long I was researching different turbo kits and options to boost my 5.0. Twin kits, single kits, kits with the turbo behind the bumper cover (come on, really?)... Finally, I discovered Dustin's prototype kit and that was it for me! The quality and attention to detail in his kit is OUTSTANDING!!!
Anyway, on to some current progress pics!

Headers are done!
photobucket-3897-1339728609531.jpg

photobucket-23588-1339728592500.jpg

photobucket-3931-1339728579238.jpg

photobucket-21159-1339734266334.jpg

photobucket-24512-1339735257412.jpg

photobucket-28626-1339735273027.jpg

photobucket-24920-1339735286916.jpg

Downpipeback.jpg

IC.jpg

The next two pics are of the new expansion tank. These are for the test kits. Production kits will come with a plastic tank.
photobucket-23442-1339735226762.jpg

photobucket-892-1339735238063.jpg

^Not my car.

Last edited:

keoni1984

Established Member
Included with the kit (taken from CPR's thread):
GT4202 mid frame turbo. Base turbo size to be determined. Same frame will house 64mm-91mm depending on HP goals. That's over a range of 1600hp without modifying the kit! Base turbo will be good for 700rwhp minimum

Turbo brace for this beast.

CPR designed and BMR built custom K-member AND tubular radiator support. Retains sway bar!!

JGS American made 40mm wastegate w Ferrea valve. (Upgradable to 50mm for higher HP applications.)

JGS American made 50mm BOV

Tubular 4-1 headers with V-bands and CNC header flanges

Cross over V-banded w flex tube and routing for internally routed dump for wastegate

5in down pipe split into dual 3in to tie back into your stock axle back. No need to buy a mid pipe after kit purchase!

Headers, cross over and down pipes mild steel and are coated black in 2000deg temp coating.

HUGE A/A intercooler. Has been proven at twice the HP level to have an inlet rise of less than half of Chinese vertical core intercoolers supplied by the competition.

Oil feed lines w adapter to tap into stock oiling system. -10 push loc with silicone drain hose for easy assembly and install.

Longest MAF tube on the market. Puts the MAF in a LONG straight section of tubing and close to the engine. Your tuner will love tuning this compared other blo thru set ups on the market.

Slim line dual fan setup to replace stock fan.

Relocated expansion tank

High quality turbo blanket

Now, along with this I also have a KB BAP(40 amp), ID1000 injectors, HPX MAF, TSS billet oil pump gears, N2MB WOT box, NGK 1 step colder plugs, Aeroforce gauge, FRPP rear diff cover and 3.31 gears. Also going to be picking up an eBoost2 controller. More pics to come!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:

keoni1984

Established Member
Sounds like a very well put together kit, only question is the 5" downpipe seems a bit excessive.
Why do you think its excessive? That would be like saying someone's johnson is too big or they have too much money LOL! When it comes to down pipes, it's the same thing. The bigger, the better! Big down pipes spool faster and make more power. Remember..... air pump. More volume flowing in and OUT of your engine=more power!

Last edited:

keoni1984

Established Member

Griever423

Established Member
Why do you think its excessive? That would be like saying someone's johnson is too big or they have too much money LOL! When it comes to down pipes, it's the same thing. The bigger, the better! Big down pipes spool faster and make more power. Remember..... air pump. More volume flowing in and OUT of your engine=more power!

Unless boost creep becomes an issue. Not familiar at all with the Mustang world and turbos so that could be a non issue as far as I know.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member

That's not entirely true. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns and you will start to move away from the ideal pressure ratio of the chosen turbine. Eventually you will decrease spool and low rpm torque.

I'm not knocking this design, just stating the facts about downpipe sizing.

keoni1984

Established Member
That's not entirely true. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns and you will start to move away from the ideal pressure ratio of the chosen turbine. Eventually you will decrease spool and low rpm torque.

I supposed that's true. However, I highly doubt we will encounter any of those issues with this kit.
A lot of high hp turbo cars I've seen are dumping right off the downpipe...

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Just from the pics of the exhaust I can see a big issue. The front wideband o2 bungs need to be before the merge for the turbo..........

CPRsm

No, pre turbine pressure skews O2 readings. The way I have it will mean reading will not be accurate bank to bank. But the lambda readings will be correct under boost.

PM me more on that Sean. Never heard of that before. Turbines that are pressure driven, spool is dependent on the pressure delta before and after the turbine. Larger down pipe=larger delta P

Last edited:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
No, pre turbine pressure skews O2 readings. The way I have it will mean reading will not be accurate bank to bank. But the lambda readings will be correct under boost.

So how exactly will the PCM know which bank to adjust if one bank goes a little rich or lean after both banks have been blended by the turbo?

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member

You are 150% wrong. How is backing up exhaust gas After the turbine wheel going to Increase spoolup? If your slowing the turbine down, your slowing how fast it spools up. You can NEVER go too large on a downpipe.

Backpressure is NEVER good post turbine. A 1:1 ratio Pre turbine is good, but you never want back pressure because your exhaust is restricting the turbo.

Unless boost creep becomes an issue. Not familiar at all with the Mustang world and turbos so that could be a non issue as far as I know.

HUH? Boost creep means the turbine wheel is spinning too much creating more boost than desired. This would mean your wastegate was not dumping off enough exhaust gas pre-turbine. You don't control boost creep by putting a restriction the turbine wheel AFTER it. That's called a bandaid.

Just from the pics of the exhaust I can see a big issue. The front wideband o2 bungs need to be before the merge for the turbo..........

You don't ever put an O2 sensor before the turbo. EMAP on a turbo car will mess up the readings. Yes a typical passenger car does use a wideband sensor and they do see some backpressure, but no where near the backpressure that a turbo causes. I'm surprised you didn't know this?

CPRsm

So how exactly will the PCM know which bank to adjust if one bank goes a little rich or lean after both banks have been blended by the turbo?

It won't. It will be an average lambda just like every other car before this closed loop ecu. Even bank to bank lambda readings, they are an average of 4 cyls. It's a compromise with a single kit done correctly. But I would much rather a car be balls on accurate at WOT. The down pipes shown, the car will be open loop because of the secondary fuel system. Plan to test these o2 readings back to back for accuracy. But not holding my breathe. They just don't read right under pressure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread