5.0 mustang engine suggestions

red03terminator

Established Member
i have a 1990 mustang gt that i want to put a new motor in and was wondering were to get a good one from. I will be adding h/c/i and a vortech
v3 supercharger. i want to push about 450rwhp. this will be a weekend street car.

Parts i have already:
afr 165 heads
holley systemax 2 intake
bbk longtubes
bbk o/r h pipe
373 gears, moser axles, auburn posi
comp cam and roller rockers

1. should i go to a 306 or stay with a 302?
2. will a rebuilt block with forged internals handle 450rwhp?
3. are the blocks from chp good?

blownfox

Established Member
I was in the same boat a month or two ago. I went with a 347 shortblock. I already had these items: trick flow head, intake, and S trim V-1. I went with woody at fordstokers.com .

I told wood that my goal was 450 rwhp and he suggested a 347 over a 331 or 306. I asked why? he replied Tq well be excellent and I would reach that goal at a lower RPM, which will help with the life of the block. My car not a track car and I do drive it a lot.

racewithsnails

Established Member
If you are going to rebuild your bottom end it makes sense to upgrade to a stroker reciprocating assembly. Stroker kits are the same price as the stock displacement kits. Since you said this will primarily be a street car you will appreciate the gobs of low end torque you will gain with this added displacement. I would reccomend a 347 or 331 stroker kit. Just make sure you buy a quality kit. I have heard good things about CHP as well as several other companies such as DSS. My personal reccomendation would be to find a good engine builder locally and have them piece together the bullet for you. With the added displacement you might want to look at cylinder heads with slightly larger ports to take full advantage of your newfound displacement.

dark98cobra

Established Member
I say go with a 347. I have a buddy who has a 90lx and it had a 347 with afr 205 heads with some other mod and this is an all motor which runs 10's and it is a street legal vehicle.

blownfox

Established Member
^^^have you got started on that 347 yet I want to see some dyno#s with you at 10psi
:beer:

Currently the Cobra bumper and spoiler are at the body shop getting painted. Once it stops snowing I will take it down there and have it installed.

Shortblock should be here early next month, so hopefully by early-mid April I will have it running. Between work and school I will only be able to work one or two days a week, if I am lucky. The sad thing is I have to put 500 miles on the spec 2 clutch before I can dyno it.

Users who are viewing this thread