5.0 internals

cam302

89 vert
Established Member
i know the block will give out at about 450-500 but that about the internals what are they good to? say if some how my block was to stay together?

wheelhopper

Established Member
The weakest part of the foxbody internals are going to be the cast rods. I would not trust them much past 400hp.

TX93Cobra

Established Member
i know the block will give out at about 450-500 but that about the internals what are they good to? say if some how my block was to stay together?

hope u upgraded the t-5 before this =)...block.. id say the rods and thatd be low 400 like he said... but i guess that all depends on how one drives the car...

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
block and internals will be fine up to 500. you will hear of a case or 2 every now and then that didnt hold up. most of the time is becuase of a crap tune. Obviously you will need to be blown or turboed on a stock block to get anywhere near 500 so you better just make sure your tune is good. I ran an s-trim with 10 psi before i switched to a 347 and my stock block that was s-trimmed now sits in some dude from craigslist rx-7. There was one guy that used to go to the same dyno i went that had a turbo on a stock block pushing 520 to the rear wheels. Do i advise that? no. hes been runnin it hard for over a year though so who knows. yes, the block is the weakest part. surprising, the t5 is a good until the point you miss a shift. they will take a good pounding until then

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
An over/under HP threshold on the stock block is utter crap science. Some people make 650 on them, others not so much. I split mine making only 260 RWHP. The problem is paper thin webbing and a 50-oz external imbalance that causes crank whip. Extended revs make the block flex, and the block splits with a crack starting at a main cap bolt hole and extending through the webbing up into the lifter valley.

Also, somebody explain to me how missing a shift breaks a transmission. It's unloaded at that point!

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
An over/under HP threshold on the stock block is utter crap science. Some people make 650 on them, others not so much. I split mine making only 260 RWHP. The problem is paper thin webbing and a 50-oz external imbalance that causes crank whip. Extended revs make the block flex, and the block splits with a crack starting at a main cap bolt hole and extending through the webbing up into the lifter valley.

Also, somebody explain to me how missing a shift breaks a transmission. It's unloaded at that point!

I guess your trying to insult me with the last part of your post and discredit what im saying in the first part. Well, the first part, your info is really bogus if you dont mind me saying. The second part, i cant beleive i have to explain this to another car forum member. Nexttime your in a car with a t5, push the clutch in, partially put it in to gear, then push all the way into gear. What happens when you miss that shift while banging gears? T5 is notorious for taking a crap very easily if you miss or to make it more clear for you, not fully engage. Happens sometimes to drag racers. ITs best to invest in a TKO.

MFE

Established Member
What's bogus? Are you saying I didn't actually split my block from crank to cam bore on all 3 center webs while only making 260 hp, or are you saying the webs aren't less than .125 thick, or are you saying that the external 50 oz imbalance isn't a known source of problems in higher RPM applications, or are you saying that crank whip doesn't exist, or are you saying that the engine builders who've studied why they break don't know what they're talking about? Which part of it is "bogus", and what tech can you provide other than re-hashed internet bullshit about a fantasyland horsepower threshold?

Users who are viewing this thread