400 my ass!!!!

kierrea35

Established Member
So....coming back from a canyon ride on a nice sunday, I had this EVO VIII fly past me on the hwy. I was on my buddies 06 GSXR 1000 which was stock. (only on that because I dropped a valve in my 07 1000:nonono:). I roll up next to him, then i hear that turbo spool up and i take off. I jump him by a whole car, look over and he's still there. We pull over I ask him whats done and he says (mind you I can hear the cam when I walk by it) "built the bottom end in my garage and a little bit bigger turbo". i then ask him how much its putting out and tells me about 410. I tell i have a cobra and wants to race him. He immediately gets this look like he saw a ghost and says no way!!!. So we leave and get back on the on ramp which he takes off again. This time I jump in behind him. I get about midrange of 4th and jump out to past him and nothing happened, I went nowhere:uh oh:. So I got back behind him and jumped out to try again, still the same result. this time I was pulling about 168 in fifth gear. YEA.....400 my ass!!!!!

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
I am thinking he is over 650hp or more to pull on a liter bike in an evo or it is the rider :dw:

650 wouldn't have him hanging with a well-ridden 06 Gixxer 1000 from those speeds getting onto the highway. Either the OP is not the best rider (to put it nicely) or that car is making stupid power. The 05-06 Gixxer 1000's are strong as hell, that's why so many people want the motors from that year.

OP, what gear did you start in and what speed? I know there are some crazy ones out there, but the typical "strong" Evos you see around here get the 35R and put down in the low to mid 500's, not NEARLY enough to think about hanging with a bike like that. That would be a decent run for my bike, and it probably wouldn't go well for him from a first gear roll unless we went up past 130-140. Second gear at 60-70 would be a good race and I might be in trouble if he can drive it well and brake boosts.

Last edited:

SlwSVT

Established Member
My thoughts exactly..

Sounds like a pretty sick evo.. should have taken him through some curves with that bike, that would have seperated the men from the boy at that moment
Not the greatest idea either. The Evo could of been setup for the turns to. A properly set up car will out handle a bike any time. 4 wheels vs 2 wheels wins when set up right.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Not the greatest idea either. The Evo could of been setup for the turns to. A properly set up car will out handle a bike any time. 4 wheels vs 2 wheels wins when set up right.

It's just not nearly as fun! :banana:

:lol1:

dsmith26

Established Member

:lol: I don't know about this. The only thing to beat a bike with properly tuned suspension around most race tracks are super karts and of course F1 cars. To think this guys EVO could hang with a stock bike and GOOD rider in the twisties is comical IMO. Even considering the stupid money they dump in those cars. The verdict on this guy being in the "good rider" category is still out.

:pop:

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
:lol: I don't know about this. The only thing to beat a bike with properly tuned suspension around most race tracks are super karts and of course F1 cars. To think this guys EVO could hang with a stock bike and GOOD rider in the twisties is comical IMO. Even considering the stupid money they dump in those cars. The verdict on this guy being in the "good rider" category is still out.

:pop:

Agreed

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member

Um no. You can out drive and beat the rider in most cases. I have raced just about everything up and down the dragon. I can take a stock klr 650 beat just about any street car.

kierrea35

Established Member
Actually I started in second gear at about 7k to 9k, right in my powerband, can't remember what the speed was at that point. As far as riding skill, I have been riding since I was 15 which is six years, and have had my 1000 since I was 17. Every since I dropped, I can ride it at about 90% to its full potential. I might as well live at chuckawalla and fontana and when i go home, I get to barbers when I can. So rider skill is pretty much out the question.

Last edited:

Deuuuce

Established Member

You know that is an interesting debate that still continues.

A friend with a LOT of track-time experience at Laguna Seca on his bike runs low 1:40s and says most guys are around that time. Supposedly a pro-driven stock Ducati or Aprilia will do 1:29s or so. The stock street car record at Laguna Seca is 1:33 in an ACR Cobra followed by a previous year ACR and a ZR1 in the 1:35s or so.

I think Laguna is a great test because of it's mid-range speeds, turns and straights that don't favor a bike nor a car. Too bad there aren't 'Ring times for bikes to compare.

blake_colvin

Established Member

Good point and it may or may not be accurate but it deff would have made for a better story of driver vs driver.. :shrug:
Besides if i was a decent rider and the OP i would have tested the waters, one reason i dont want a 600cc bike is because i ran a inexperinced rider in my old procharged 97 cobra and beat him..

if i was on a liter bike theres no way in hell id let a car show me up on the street, id have to push the limits

:beer:

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
Good point and it may or may not be accurate but it deff would have made for a better story of driver vs driver.. :shrug:
Besides if i was a decent rider and the OP i would have tested the waters, one reason i dont want a 600cc bike is because i ran a inexperinced rider in my old procharged 97 cobra and beat him..

if i was on a liter bike theres no way in hell id let a car show me up on the street, id have to push the limits

:beer:

Not wanting a certain type of vehicle because you beat someone who doesn't know how to pilot it is a terrible philosophy. Learn how to ride well and race well and you'll have a lot of fun with a modern 600 because everyone seems to think they run about as fast as a slow dirt bike. Everyone expects to get beat by liter bikes; they never see it coming with the 600 because they're used to guys that don't know how to ride.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
General consensus around here is "1,000 (hp car) for a 1000 (cc sportbike)"

OP, you say you can ride. My only question to you is this. How much do you weigh, 400 pounds?

blake_colvin

Established Member
Not wanting a certain type of vehicle because you beat someone who doesn't know how to pilot it is a terrible philosophy. Learn how to ride well and race well and you'll have a lot of fun with a modern 600 because everyone seems to think they run about as fast as a slow dirt bike. Everyone expects to get beat by liter bikes; they never see it coming with the 600 because they're used to guys that don't know how to ride.

Good point but for now id rather have the 10 second car ive always wanted, so my money will go to that and if the right deal comes along maybe i will pick up a 600.

Users who are viewing this thread