40 series tires on a 17 mustang gt

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
I have a 17 gt with stock springs and Velgen split5 20/10.5 with 305/30/20 in the rear and 20/9 with 255/35/20 on the front. I don’t want to lower my car but can’t stand the wheel gap. I was thinking about putting 305/40/20’s on rear and 275/40/20 on front..Think I would have any issues with this setup?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm not a self proclaimed tire fitment genius by any means, but I think you're being a bit drastic with your proposed tire sizes. Your current rear diameter is about 27.2", while proposed tire diameter would be about 29.6'. I'm not going to touch the subject of whether or not they'll rub with stock springs. You are correct that you will be filling about 1.2" of fender gap... but you'll also be lifting the car about 1.2" higher off the ground. Proposed front tire would also raise the car about .8" higher off the ground.

My advice is definitely to just buy springs and properly lower the car. Unless you just want to go for the donk look :p

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Yeah, I hear you.. probably end up going with the 35 series front and rear. It was just a thought, that’s way I posted it for someone’s output.

Zemedici

Established Member
I wouldn’t put that size tire on the rear, it’ll look weird.

Why don’t you want to lower the car? Best way to get rid of wheel gap is by lowering with springs / coilovers / air ride

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
The roads here in Vegas are kind of bad. I’m going with the 35’s and put on some grid performance springs which will lower it around 1 inch.

Users who are viewing this thread