40% Drive train loss

Abdul_f150

Sorry is this is in the wrong place.
I just installed a phase 2 roush supercharger on my 2016 f150 xlt crew cap (4wd). I tried it on couple of local dynos and I’m have around 40% drivetrain loss. The costume tuning had a slight increase in rwhp over the roush calibration (best result was 391 rwhp) but still no where near the expected results. Could anyone please point me toward what might be the reason behind the big loss? And what can I do to retrieve some of the lost hp?

Mods:
Jba headers + catback borla atak
Fox 2.5 shocks
17” method wheels wrapped in 285/70/17 BFs all terrain

Attachments

• B662146C-9ED0-4F8B-87BA-9A9C72680BC4.jpeg
    B662146C-9ED0-4F8B-87BA-9A9C72680BC4.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 262
  • 2C8455AC-BE2F-4B74-B97B-FCAB00E60968.jpeg
    2C8455AC-BE2F-4B74-B97B-FCAB00E60968.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 233

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm with Josh. How does the truck drive out?

The big tires will hurt dyno numbers. Not to mention, what gear are you doing the pull in?

EDIT: Also, losing the KC lights on the roof would be good for 10rwhp.

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
Unless he's only running something like 10 psi in the tires or the dyno is loaded to like 10000 lbs that combo should make 500whp easily...

Abdul_f150

Your massive tires will contribute greatly to drivetrain loss.

However, how does the truck FEEL? Can you run it against a similarly modified truck? I wouldn't get too caught up in dyno numbers, more so I'd be interested in how the truck performs.
I thought so but I saw some dyno runs online with similar setup (massive tires) and still managed to get 504 rwhp.
On the street it is a monster a huge difference over the stock performance thats why i was frustrated when i say the dyno result

Zemedici

Established Member
If it moves on the street I wouldn’t worry about dyno numbers

A dyno is solely a tuning tool, to get similar conditions each time. It can be manipulated to read anything you want, don’t worry about the numbers. Enjoy the truck, it looks good

Abdul_f150

I'm with Josh. How does the truck drive out?

The big tires will hurt dyno numbers. Not to mention, what gear are you doing the pull in?

EDIT: Also, losing the KC lights on the roof would be good for 10rwhp.
These are the result of two different dynos using the roush calibration. Unfortunately didn’t take a pic of the one using cutom tuning (I was regretting the choices I’ve made through my life) buf it was at 391 rwhp

Attachments

• 35747C01-BCDA-4497-8E82-196B2861EA30.jpeg
    35747C01-BCDA-4497-8E82-196B2861EA30.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 201
  • 7FFA9B7A-2279-4E62-93D0-DE2DC895C114.jpeg
    7FFA9B7A-2279-4E62-93D0-DE2DC895C114.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 232

Abdul_f150

If it moves on the street I wouldn’t worry about dyno numbers

A dyno is solely a tuning tool, to get similar conditions each time. It can be manipulated to read anything you want, don’t worry about the numbers. Enjoy the truck, it looks good
Thanks a lot! That makes me less frustrated (i guess ) I wanted to take my fellow f150 owners’ opinions since I’m new to this field. Thanks again for your reply and I’m glad you liked my setup

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
No problem! It is a good looking truck! Now she performs as well as she looks. Just enjoy the truck and don’t get too caught up in dyno numbers :)

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
These are the result of two different dynos using the roush calibration. Unfortunately didn’t take a pic of the one using cutom tuning (I was regretting the choices I’ve made through my life) buf it was at 391 rwhp

That 2nd graph it looks like something is pulling out the power at around 4300 RPM, it definitely shouldn't be doing that...

Zemedici

Established Member
?
P1 and P2 Roush trucks with their big tires and suspension both make over 500 rwhp on a dynojet.

not with Roush's file they dont. But again, we're arguing dyno numbers, which literally mean jack shit. They dont mean anything, as output can easily be manipulated.......

OP - what injectors are in the truck?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I am not sure when dyno results became a trusted scientific method to measuring HP. I have always found a dyno to be the tool used to tune by. You are getting air / fuel ratios and timing adjusted to a safe point that still makes power.

For true performance, a dyno is a great place to start. After that, data log the vehicle in a real world environment / track and do the fine adjustments at that point.

I don't know how many times I have said this now, but every atmospheric characteristic plays a role. Humidity, temperature, sea level, and so on all impact how a vehicle performs. Now add in drive train features, engine temp, under hood temp, air flow, intake temp, and you have more variables.

Dyno operators try to compensate for all of this. Most are pretty good at getting things where they need to be. However, the number on the print out is not always true.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
I know dynos are just tools, however did you see the graphs? They definitely shouldn't look like that.

I've seen plenty of Roush cal'd P2 trucks put down 500whp on a dynojet, and it looks like this one would too if the power didn't drop off. It could be a number of things causing it.

Abdul_f150

I know dynos are just tools, however did you see the graphs? They definitely shouldn't look like that.

I've seen plenty of Roush cal'd P2 trucks put down 500whp on a dynojet, and it looks like this one would too if the power didn't drop off. It could be a number of things causing it.
Thats why Iwas frustrated since most of the videos i saw with the same setup put down 490-510 hp i’ll get
1) the headers wrapped to decrease underhood temp
2)just changed the oil and oil filter
3) higher tyre psi

And will run the dyno again with the custom tuning and hope to get better result.

In which gear should I run the dyno for best results? 3rd?

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
The power drop off could be ECT or MCT getting too high and pulling spark, knock sensor activity etc...

Since this is a new install make sure you have Premium fuel in the tank, and try not to let the truck sit too long between runs on the dyno with the engine off, this just heat soaks the blower which will make the MCT climb and pull spark.

Run it in the highest gear you can and not hit the speed limiter, which is usually 3rd on the 6 speed trucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread