4-lug Cobras Drag Setups!!!

slow_cobra

Established Member
Well i'm trying to find pictures of 4-lug cobras with their drag setup since i'm still looking for some wheels for mine... If anyone has pictures please post them I think this will help alot. Thanks

01slobra

got wheelhop?
Established Member
bfb73ac5.jpg

afb266ee.jpg

I was going to pull the trigger on a 5 lug conversion but then I couldn't put the factory Cobra wheels back on, which I love so thats out for now unless I can find a nice set of 5 lug fan blade style wheels.

This setup is 275/60/15 Hoosier Drag Radials out back and a 26" tall front runner

1slohawk

Established Member
01slobra how do the 275/60's fit? any rubbing issues? I had a 275/60's on my car at first, but to get them to fit I needed a stock height spring with air bags in each spring and even then they still rubbed every once in a while.

01slobra

got wheelhop?
Established Member
01slobra how do the 275/60's fit? any rubbing issues? I had a 275/60's on my car at first, but to get them to fit I needed a stock height spring with air bags in each spring and even then they still rubbed every once in a while.

Whats on your car now? and what size hood is that? I need to upsize to clear some stuff :(

They fit great, its a tight fit but with the right offset, ride height, fender rolling and some inner work its perfect IMO. Wheel offset could be a little bit better but I already had these and they work. Car is on coilovers so that makes it easy

1slohawk

Established Member
Whats on your car now? and what size hood is that? I need to upsize to clear some stuff :(

They fit great, its a tight fit but with the right offset, ride height, fender rolling and some inner work its perfect IMO. Wheel offset could be a little bit better but I already had these and they work. Car is on coilovers so that makes it easy

I'm running a 27x10.5 et street currently. They look cool and fill the wheel wells really well, but other then that I don't like them. I had the rear narrowed 1/2" and rolled the 1/4's since last time I tried to run a 28" tire. I'm going to try to get a 28x10.5 et drag on it this winter The hood is a 4" HO fibertrends. Overall it fits really well for an after market hood and the main reason I bought it is it weighs nothing compared to other fiberglass hood.

johnh

Established Member
Drag lites

crop2.jpg

With pro stars

carshow_1.jpg

My red 93 with Drag lites and 275/60 MT DR's. They rub fore and aft though.

IMG_0061.JPG

Last edited:

slow_cobra

Established Member
What would be the best offset for our cars... i want to get some prostars but i'm totally lost on the offset I should get for our cars

mgerman93

Established Member
The best offset will depend on what you are trying to do. For example, I wanted the most tire under the car WITHOUT any mods to the body like rolling the lips, cutting, or pounding on sheet metal. If your car is stock, a weld 15x8 draglite or prostar with 5.5" backspace will work best. This will allow a 26x10.5" et street (8" tread) or 26x8.5" et drag (8" tread) to bolt on without any issues. I wanted more than 8" of tread on the ground, so here is how to do it without any body mods. The same 15x8" weld with 5.5" backspacing is used. Swap the long factory cobra axles with a standard mustang length set of axles, and pick up a set of rear brake brackets from north cobras. It is a simple bolt on affair, and allows a 26x10" et drag (10" tread), 27x10.5" QTP (9" tread), 27x9" M&H racemaster slick (9 3/4" tread), or 28x9" et drag (8.6" tread) to fit without any issues. Just be aware, it is possible to fit larger sizes, but there will be issues with rubbing and damage to the car. I have run all the sizes listed, and they work well. The front is easy if your car is stock, requiring a 15x3.5" weld draglite or prostar with 1 3/4" backspacing. Be aware the front wheels will stick out past the fenders, so the tires will bottom out on the fenders easily. An easy fix is to swap the factory cobra front rotors for standard 5.0 front rotors. Like the rear with a north cobra bracket swap, this will tuck the front wheel 3/4" and give nice clearance. Hope that helps.

johnh

Established Member
The best offset will depend on what you are trying to do. For example, I wanted the most tire under the car WITHOUT any mods to the body like rolling the lips, cutting, or pounding on sheet metal. If your car is stock, a weld 15x8 draglite or prostar with 5.5" backspace will work best. This will allow a 26x10.5" et street (8" tread) or 26x8.5" et drag (8" tread) to bolt on without any issues. I wanted more than 8" of tread on the ground, so here is how to do it without any body mods. The same 15x8" weld with 5.5" backspacing is used. Swap the long factory cobra axles with a standard mustang length set of axles, and pick up a set of rear brake brackets from north cobras. It is a simple bolt on affair, and allows a 26x10" et drag (10" tread), 27x10.5" QTP (9" tread), 27x9" M&H racemaster slick (9 3/4" tread), or 28x9" et drag (8.6" tread) to fit without any issues. Just be aware, it is possible to fit larger sizes, but there will be issues with rubbing and damage to the car. I have run all the sizes listed, and they work well. The front is easy if your car is stock, requiring a 15x3.5" weld draglite or prostar with 1 3/4" backspacing. Be aware the front wheels will stick out past the fenders, so the tires will bottom out on the fenders easily. An easy fix is to swap the factory cobra front rotors for standard 5.0 front rotors. Like the rear with a north cobra bracket swap, this will tuck the front wheel 3/4" and give nice clearance. Hope that helps.

X2 great post.

MVC-006F2.JPG

This is the nicest 4 lug wheel I've seen, bad ass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread