4.6L Cobra Engine, can it handle the abuse?

fastbird86

Established Member
When in Houston last weekend running the National Tour my car broke during friday test n' tune. The pivot on for the tensioner chain guide on bank 1 broke, Talking to Mark Jorgenson, a fellow Mustang racer in ESP, he said that there have been alot of talk on the forums about how un-reliable these motors have been for racing. This is the first problem I have had with the motor since it was replaced 20k miles ago, the first motor locked up from oil starvation at high rpm because of an oil pan dent blocking the pick-up!

Bottom line my question is should I continue running the car! All I do is Auto-X the car and since this problem I have been getting critisium from my parents and freinds about racing the only source of transportation I have, when I see that other people doing the same thing seem to make out just fine with no problems. Its kinda frustration seeing that people yell and scream at you for doing something that you enjoy like it is a bad thing!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The tough think for you is that it's your only form of transportation. For me I am picking up a 98 Cobra specifically for the open track so if something happens I have a couple other cars to drive. As far as 4.6L engines being unreliable I don't think that is the case at all. If properly maintained and properly prepped for autox or the open track these motors can perform VERY well and at the same time be reliable from what I have seen.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I ran in ESP for a while, but crushing cones in a parking lot isnt hard on a car at all. Usually its the drag race guys that make the ratcheting timing chain tensionsers overtighten. You must be getting some kickass autocross launches.

I've put 60,000 miles on my daily driven, an extensively open-tracked 03. The only thing wrong with a modular motor is that its more expensive than the windsor moder, which has been around since 1961.

The modular engine does just fine in 24 hour races such as the rolex 24 at daytona. they also clean up in koni challenge (nee grand am cup).

All engines have issues of some sort. guys break dem pushrod moders too...

I think the windsor moder lovers just enjoy changing distributor caps and having to rejet the carburetor every time the barometric pressure changes. I"ll keep my DOHC V8, thanks.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
:lol:

I have had two mod motor mustangs.. A 99gt and my current 03 Cobra. I put a good amount of track miles on the 99 when I had it. I beat the ever living hell out of that car and never had an issue. I sold that car with 140k miles and it still goes to events driven by the new owner. I do between 12 and 14 autox events a season, and I have put even more track and autox miles on this Cobra than the GT. There are guys in my class that have over 100k miles and hang their engines at 7k repeatedly to avoid having to grab third gear in spots.. The engines are plenty tough in my book.

I spend what my wife describes as "an exorbitant" amount of time on car prep, though I don't dig deep enough to pull the front cover of the engine off. I'd repair the part, replace the chains, guides and tensioners, and go back at it.

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
I've had this Cobra since June of 02, It has almost 60k on it and has been whippled since 10k miles. I autocross, open track, drag sometimes, daily drive it from last snow till first snow, and generally beat the crap out of the car. Maintenance engine wise has been change oil every 3k and new plugs every 5k.
So far the mod motor has given me no problems, sure you'll have random failures as with any motor but generally they're pretty stout.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
typically the only problems with these cars are oil starvation
just stick a big ol pan and a windage tray on em and maybe an oil cooler and drive the piss out of it :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread