4.6 motor

thundercoupe sc

Well there was one lady that ran 16.2, 16.2, and 16.19 in her 94-95 auto gt convertable, what do you think about that? Another guy that had exhaust and possible some other stuff done to his 96-98 gt ran 15.8 against my 15.3, Brand new cobra ran 14.7? Is that just me or everybody else sees this stuff, mustangs are not all that fast, I hate when my friends brag about it ( Oh man I smoked a mustang in my probe gt) so, big deal, if you would've smoked a corvette that would've been cool.

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
thundercoupe, what were the weather conditions like that day?? what was the altitude(sp)??? thoes times are really bad, when i was at the track couppla weekends ago there was a guy there with a stock stang running in the 13's so it has alot to do with the driver and weather conditions. and the track, was it hooking or was everyone spinning off the line? Im just saying thoes times just dont sound consistant with everyone else that ive seen or heard run.

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Last time I went to 66 I could have beaten the 99 and new cobra's with my bird running in the 15.4 range...these guys had NO clue how to drive. It does depend on the driver. I have seen cobra convertibles hit low 13's. It's a matter of driver. I hope I get a chance to embarass some cobra owners this spring and summer. I'm toying with a few motor ideas now. Only trouble is finding a used 99-00 GT motor for a decent price.

Later

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
just to piss you off some more...

96-97 t-birds are NOT mid 15 second cars. They run upper 15's in stock form. My car weighed in over 3900 pounds if I remember right. I ran 15.4 with a few mods, but nothing special(in July) It was also my first time at the track and I need to launch better. I have heard of and seen video of an 11.98 in a t-bird. Anything is possible(regardless of weight) if you have money and ideas in the head. I think having a 13 second T-bird N/A would be something no one would expect. I'm toying with ideas like I said, but who knows what'll come of the car. I know of more than a few people building Vorteched T-birds right now. They will be at Fun Ford events and WFC this year from what I am hearing. I think the bird is a very interesting piece with the IRS and a LOT of power. People say the IRS is weak in the cobra that runs 13's. What's funny is...there are birds out there with USED IRS' and they run 12's and 13's with NO problems. If you look in MM&FF from a while back a SC'ed 91 5.0(If I remember the year right) was able to hit about a 12.30. These cars are very nice when they're made to go fast. Hell, look at Blown306...he's got Blowzilla atop a 306 and he's gonna be driving the streets occasionally. Think of the embarrassment of some dummy who just bought a 50K Vette when he gets blown away by a half-that-price T-bird. And it looks better too!!!

Later

Hitman 2k1

Established Member
RTStabler .. Yeah I got rid of the Bird. I really loved that car BUT here's why I sold it.

1.) I don't have the money to do big mods such as SC or PI heads.

2.) After 2 years and almost 2000 bucks I only got it to run low 15's.

3.) I wanted a lighter car and I wanted a 5.0 HO! I know you could get them in a Bird but this car is near stock and already .3 seconds faster than the Bird.. plus mods are CHEAP and there are plenty out there to keep me satisfied. So that's why I sold.

Traded a low 15 auto 4.6L Bird for a high 14 5 speed 5.0L Stang.

But I'll say this.. I loved that Thunderbird and miss it to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread