4.6 engine build info!!!

Demonio

Established Member
Hello, I'm be building a 4.6 teksid .20 oversize and will like to know if anyone have info or tips in how to assemble it. I need torque specs n sequence. Maybe it can turn into a how to build a 4.6 thread if there is enough help thanks.

Demonio

Established Member
I had that book but not much on how to assemble it just info on torque specs seem like. Been trying to find it along with a Haynes book

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Haynes manual won't tell you much of anything with regards to putting the motor together. See if you can get the Ford service manual. TSO or something they call it. I have it in electronic format on my garage laptop, very helpful.

Demonio

Established Member
Haynes manual won't tell you much of anything with regards to putting the motor together. See if you can get the Ford service manual. TSO or something they call it. I have it in electronic format on my garage laptop, very helpful.

Wondering if u could email me that format? Or is it something you got to buy somewhere this file?

supman

Established Member
Yeah, The electronic format on laptop would be the way to go. Any lead on where i can purchase it? I also bought the Hyland book, and it really is a basic book. What would be awesome is a step by step check sheet, with supporting technical data such as fits and clearances, torques, blueprint data...

Demonio

Established Member
yeah, the electronic format on laptop would be the way to go. Any lead on where i can purchase it? I also bought the hyland book, and it really is a basic book. What would be awesome is a step by step check sheet, with supporting technical data such as fits and clearances, torques, blueprint data...

+2

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Wondering if u could email me that format? Or is it something you got to buy somewhere this file?

It's huge, you can't just email it. Also some copyright issues with doing that. I believe you can get them from helminc.com but those can be a bit pricy. I usually just search around. Recently I needed the workshop service manuals for my 335XI and found a deal on ebay. It was 3 dvds for $15 brand new.

It's not a step by step on how to assemble an engine but rather the service manual like what Ford would use if you're familiar. It does tell you what steps to take, torque specs and all that good stuff but you have to know the basics of building an engine 101.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Make sure to get the metal primary timing chain tensioners from a 96-98 cobra for this build. Call Steve at Tousley, he will hook you up. The stock ones are plastic/nylon junk. Good luck.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Make sure to get the metal primary timing chain tensioners from a 96-98 cobra for this build. Call Steve at Tousley, he will hook you up. The stock ones are plastic/nylon junk. Good luck.

You mean these guys? This is mine from what I rebuilt my engine. Sure looked metal to me. Where's the nylon at? inside?

file.php

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Weird pic worked for me both times. Anyhow that tensioner was the stock factory one in my motor. Guess not all had the nylon then. Never even heard of the nylon version actually.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Weird pic worked for me both times. Anyhow that tensioner was the stock factory one in my motor. Guess not all had the nylon then. Never even heard of the nylon version actually.
My original one had one...and it broke and it broke a lot of shit. Most of the 03/04 motors have the cheap ones. Looks like you got lucky.

Demonio

Established Member

Yeah timing kit I bought has that type metal one, I think gts came with that plastic looking one

Demonio

Established Member
Is .29 gap to big for the top ring and second at .24 machine shop file fit the rings this way wondering if the top one needs to be tighter.?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread