4.6 cam swap

showtm490

Established Member
I know a GT isn't an SVT but this guy is trying to tell me a cam swap will not help a 2V that much. I've seen a few 2V that sound bada** with different cams but never knew the power increase #'s per $'s spent. Anyone have a clue? Here's this guys post and mods.

What is a SLP SS and How can I beat him?
I saw a SLP SS ( if you know what the SLP means could you please explain to me? ) out and he started messing with me. We were on the highway and he was looking at me and nodded that he wanted a run. I dropped into 3rd and waited for him to nail it. I jumped out a nose and as I hit my power band 4-5500 RPM i nosed about 1\2 car link ahead. I nailed 4th and maintained that lead untill we caught up to traffic.
1999 Mustang GT
My Mods:
DSS Short Block with stock cams
FRPP Shorty Headers
Bassani x-pipe
Borla Exhaust
RAM kevlar Clutch
FRPP Aluminum flywheel
FRPP underdrive pulleys
FRPP aluminum Drive Shaft
FRPP 3:73 gears
MAC shifter
Jet Chip
C&L MAF
K&N
FRPP 70 MM TB

I don't make over 300 HP for sure. How in heck did this happen That guy should have walked me fast. I guess he just sucked at driving or had a LT1 with the SS treatment.

Cobras_Rule

The Terminator Rules
Established Member
from what i know slp camaros are not supercharged camaros

slp is a performance parts company i belive that make parts for gm cars.

showtm490

Established Member
SLP is street legal performance. I'm used to own a 99 hugger orange SS. Sorry it seems I mislead people in my question. I was just asking what kind of power after market 2v cams made? The guy that is the owner of the car in my first post is saying cam swaps don't produce power, in which I know they do. My old 90 GT woke up with just a e cam.

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I just read an article in I think it was Muscle Mustangs&Fast Fords where they did a cam swap on Roxanne Shepard's supercharged 2V with some ported and polished heads and a Bullit intake that resulted in a pretty good power gain, but most agree that a N/A combo would not have picked up near the same amount. It kinda led me to believe that for the cost of doing a cam swap, I would add a blower for a much greater increase. From what I have seen they add around 10-20 rwhp on a stock 2V, and around 25-30 with some worked heads and the Bullit intake.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Plenty of guys going from 230's stock to 270's - 280's with P&P'd stock heads and better cams. Those are 99+ cars with stock P&P heads. Some of the 96-98 head swaped cars are going over 300 due to the compression increase.
Peak numbers aren't the focus though. Average power in the useable rev range is the biggest benefit.

Neurotoxin

Established Member
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
From what I have seen they add around 10-20 rwhp on a stock 2V, and around 25-30 with some worked heads and the Bullit intake.

I second that. I have a buddy who owned a 96 GT and did a cam swap. He was extremely disappointed with the gain for the amount of money it cost. This was back in 97 when parts for mod motors were more expensive and realitively no one knew that cams wouldn't help unless you did some porting and a full exhaust. I do know one person with a 97 GT with cams, long tubes, cai, TB, h-pipe and catback and some other bolt ons and he pushes 250rwhp. That's an approx 60hp gain.

With a 99 though you should see better gains I would think.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Neurotoxin
I second that. I have a buddy who owned a 96 GT and did a cam swap. He was extremely disappointed with the gain for the amount of money it cost. This was back in 97 when parts for mod motors were more expensive and realitively no one knew that cams wouldn't help unless you did some porting and a full exhaust. I do know one person with a 97 GT with cams, long tubes, cai, TB, h-pipe and catback and some other bolt ons and he pushes 250rwhp. That's an approx 60hp gain.

With a 99 though you should see better gains I would think.

Who did he buy the cams from in 97?? SHM didn't even have a GT grind yet.

Users who are viewing this thread