4.6 2v assembled incorrectly by MS

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Hey all. Had my shortblock forged a year ago and been driving it for that long too. Well last weekend I heard a knocking sound. Heard it was coming from the motor and dropped the next day. I never lost oil pressure, motor was primed before first start, new oil pump was installed, always full on oil and changed regularly. Well this is what I found. Cylinders 1 and 5’s connecting rods are installed backwards and the bearings are riding on the crank fillets. The bearing on cylinder 1’s connecting rod wasn’t installed properly either. Monday can’t get here quick enough.

267cdb283a3a996757f281fd324ddcc8.jpg

3422fa7af7bbe3887b5d1fee3328b781.jpg

cf7a93764618e1d8dc8c09781d40679b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Three21

Established Member
Ouch. I hope they do something for you, but after a year be ready for some hassles.

Interesting that it lasted so long without showing signs sooner. Never any excessive noise once warm? Or trash in your oil?

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Ouch. I hope they do something for you, but after a year be ready for some hassles.

Interesting that it lasted so long without showing signs sooner. Never any excessive noise once warm? Or trash in your oil?

Didnt notice any trash and didn’t hear anything until it started knocking on cold start and at 2-3k rpm. Taking it to the machine shop tomorrow. They claim to have never seen rods installed backwards.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Damn dude. Sorry to see that. Hopefully they make it right but I would be prepared for a fight. Between the time and you taking it apart yourself they may be a pita.

Ya it’s a mess. I had this engine tuned at injected haha. Made 272 hp amd 304 trq. I am amazed it lasted a year.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Yep I remember.

Automotive Precision Machinery is who built it. They wouldn’t look at it this morning. I asked if they could take the pan and other caps off and they said they didnt have ths time. So I took it to Bishop Machine Shop in Mableton. There we took the pan off and other caps. He said all the rods were backwards, but only #1 spun. They said they could strip it down, clean me up, machine the crank and would be good to go.

Three21

Established Member
Good to hear they think it'll clean.

After they get it back together ask them what the rod side clearance is (between the rods or rod to crank shoulder) should around 0.010 in. I believe spec is 0.005in to 0.019in max. My only concern would be with losing material from where the rods were contacting each other or the crank shoulders.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Good to hear they think it'll clean.

After they get it back together ask them what the rod side clearance is (between the rods or rod to crank shoulder) should around 0.010 in. I believe spec is 0.005in to 0.019in max. My only concern would be with losing material from where the rods were contacting each other or the crank shoulders.

For sure. I will ask tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread