4.30s

boost88

Established Member
Installed mine today. Have to say I really like them. Car has a lot more ass that's for sure. Install wasn't too bad, had to tear it down a couple times to get the shims right but got a good pattern and absolutely 0 noise.

Now just gonna have to see what I can do about the speedometer.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Can't find a Speedcal? Glad you went with the 4.30s
Everything lower numerically is a waste on a NA 4.6

boost88

Established Member
I've been on the hunt just haven't seen a used one. I'd love to get one.

boost88

Established Member
I'm not smart enough to but I know some folks that could replicate the circuit board. All you have to do it lay it out and you can have the pcb ordered

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I purchased a used Speedcal from a friend, but he hasn't dug it out for me yet. I actually need two, since I have two SN95s I'll be swapping gears on. I might be interested in letting someone borrow it for the good of the community once I get my hands on it.

boost88

Established Member
I wonder if there is a reverse engineering place that will do it.

Cobra Jet

Established Member

Exactly!

When I had my prior 96 Cobra, after the 4.30’s were installed, the car drove so much better, gas mileage actually improved (I drove it 500 miles a week, so it was easy to note the improvement). It was also no longer lugging in the lower gears when having to drive at speeds of 35-40 mph in residential or local town roadways.

The car was so much more fun with the 4.30’s and it made winding out to 7k+ even a greater joy!

Mark99GT

Established Member
I was set on 4.10s, but you have me reconsidering the 4.30s now. How is cruising around town rpm-wise? Is it enjoyable or do you ever get annoyed at the higher rpm in that 25-45 mph speed range, or are you shifting up to the next gear?

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I moved from 4.30s to 4.56s on my 01. You can’t go wrong with either one in a 96-01.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

boost88

Established Member
I was set on 4.10s, but you have me reconsidering the 4.30s now. How is cruising around town rpm-wise? Is it enjoyable or do you ever get annoyed at the higher rpm in that 25-45 mph speed range, or are you shifting up to the next gear?
Usually running 4th around town. I try and keep the car around 2000 2500 cruising rpm though

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

Your MPG will most likely go up.

Cobra Jet

Established Member

Cruising w/4.30’s in a DOHC is perfect. It’s the perfect gear for that engine. You will love it. It’s hard to explain without actually experiencing it, but a DOHC w/factory gears lugs in the 3-4th gear range when say trying to do 35-40mph. After 4.30’s, driving in the same gear, the car is drivable, it doesn’t “scream” in the rpm range as you may think, it won’t lug and you won’t have to shift to a lower gear just to keep the car from lugging….

I would do 4.30’s in any DOHC. It really woke the car up and it was so much more enjoyable to drive with those rear diff gears.

Users who are viewing this thread