4.30's are in!!!!! And I LOVE THEM!!!!!! NIght & Day difference!!!

REDLYNE

Established Member
What a great weekend! gear whine that you hear from under the tri-ax is a little louder...slight vib3 in 5th....other than that....PURE JOY.

The tires chirp easily up to 3rd gear...and probably 4th if I got on a stretch of road long enough to bang into 4th @ redline.

I have to feather the clutch and launch easy...but the brace is still preventing the hop (to a certain point)...and with my almost stock suspension setup launching isn't as hard as I thought.

Need some SFC's soon though...

------------------
1999 Rio Red Cobra Coupe
#3803/4040--Born 6/23/99 (Engine Born 5/10/99)
SVT Upgrade: Lower Intake Manifold/Cat-Back/Tensioner Pulley/PCM Reflash
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, 9" conical K&N Air Filter (mounted in the fender-wall)
Custom Ram-Air Kit, WMS Cold Air Induction, Pro-M 87mm High-Flow MAF
Steeda/MN-12 Polyurethane Differential Bushings, PHP IRS Brace
17X9" FRPP Chrome Cobra R Rims, Firestone Firehawk SZ50's (255/45/ZR17 all around)
FMS 4.30's, Abbott Speed Compensator

Best ET: 13.597 @ 103.73MPH -- w/ all current mods except the IRS Brace and the 4.30's
(2.099 60ft, no power-shifting, 662 ft above sea level)
Picture of my snake staging prior to running the ET listed above.

svtsnake

Established Member
I am going to install 4.30's soon, so I have a couple questions for you. How much were they with both parts and install? Did you have to remove a crossmember that was blocking the differential cover? (I was told i may need to) How fast can you go in first, second, etc. at red line? Have you found out what your top speed is with the new gears?

REDLYNE

Established Member
How much were they with both parts and install?
I paid $189 for my FRPP gears from Summit Racing.
Installation is normally $450 (or so). I reccommend a Ford dealer. With ford gears and the work doneby a ford dealer you are COMPLETELY covered by the warranty (if that's an issue for you).
Did you have to remove a crossmember that was blocking the differential cover? (I was told i may need to)
Yes, but its easy. Just back off the bolts on each end of the crossmember (which are shared by the Upper control arms). Just back them off the threads enough to slip the crossmember off. Don't unscrew them all the way!!!!
How fast can you go in first, second, etc. at red line?
36mph in 1st, 62mph in 2nd, 93mph in 3rd, 124mph in 4th, see my answer below for info about the top of 5th.
Have you found out what your top speed is with the new gears?
140mph is the fastest I have gotten up to in 5th....don't remember how much I had left to go on the tach.

Last edited:

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
okay now the tricky question, what were your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times BEFORE and AFTER? (with only the gears being different)

firstbite

Kid Rock
Established Member
warranty coverage

Redlyne- You said that if you have a ford dealer install your gear you are covered under warranty, where did you find this info! I am toying with the idea of a 3.73, I was going to have Kenny Brown do it by driving into Indiana, but if FORD will keep me covered I will do it that way. Did you instal a speed compensator like the speedcal? oh yah! where is that Street Stuff shop I can't find it for the life of me.....

REDLYNE

Established Member
Originally posted by [iSEPIC]
okay now the tricky question, what were your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times BEFORE and AFTER? (with only the gears being different)

Sorry man, I don't have a baseline with just the gears. I went to the track with all teh following as "new mods": gears, x-pipe, and cat-back.

Before that (as it says in my old signature in the post up top) my best was: [email protected] (2.099 60ft)
After the exhaust and gears: [email protected] (2.237 60ft)
Same track..same altitude...same air temp.

As you can see, with a far shittier 60ft time....I got my new best and a slightly increased mph trap-speed. Can't wait top see how close to 12.9's I get once I have some traction (getting Nitto's soon) and hopefully 1.8XX 60ft times!

Last edited:

REDLYNE

Established Member
Re: warranty coverage

Originally posted by firstbite
Redlyne- You said that if you have a ford dealer install your gear you are covered under warranty, where did you find this info! I am toying with the idea of a 3.73, I was going to have Kenny Brown do it by driving into Indiana, but if FORD will keep me covered I will do it that way. Did you instal a speed compensator like the speedcal? oh yah! where is that Street Stuff shop I can't find it for the life of me.....

If you use Ford parts and have Ford do the work you are covered under Ford warranty. The warranty for the gears install will out-last my factory warranty...but if anything goes wrong that is CAUSED BY THE GEARS...they can't dishonor my warranty because Ford did the work. Afterall, how can they blame the problem on something THEY did. I learned this a while ago....as a matter of fact, I think there is some fine print that mentions this in the FRPP catalog. That's how Ford "competes"with aftermarket shops. They justify their expensive prices because of the warranty.

Yes, I installed the Abbott Speed Compensator (on my own).

Street Stuff is located at 633 S Addison Rd Addison, IL. they'r enumber is: (630) 832-3773

quick99snake

Established Member
I got a price from Kintner Motorsports for the swap at about 300 bucks labor, cause they said they had to remove the diff housing from the car.
does anyone know if gears will cause a problem with a car if it's leased? i don't know if they care about that kind of thing.
BTW REDLYNE, i would think you'd be able to do better on 60' than a 2.09 stock. i have gotten a 2.002 BONE stock, then this past friday i ran a 2.04 60', by easing the clutch out to hold traction. best eigth mile is 8.796 @ 80.5, haven't been able to run the quarter yet.

REDLYNE

Established Member
Sorry quick99snake...I guess I'm just not as good of a driver as you. The 2.099 is the best I've done stock (firehawk tires).

2.237 is the best I've done with 4.30's, bushings, and IRS brace (still on firehawk tires).

I've tried feathering it...bogging it....so chances are my best 60ft with Nittos will be slightly higher than your best with Nittos, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread