4.10 gears ?

LoLO

Established Member
Hey guys,

Could someone explain to me what are the advantages of having 4.10 gears in a mustang GT (2006) instead of the stock ones ?

Right now I have Cold Air Intake and pulleys.

Thank you !

UrS4

Established Member
It will pull much harder. Like you added another 50hp.

Only down side is it runs a few hundred more rpms at highway speeds so it consumes a little more gas so you mpg will drop a couple.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
quicker off the line, better for driving around town, makes the engine rev up quicker. you give up a little top end to greatly improve your low end.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
you will need a flash tuner to reset your speedo for the gear change plus the tuner is good for some more power I recomend SCT xcal2 or the new SCT Livewire.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Higher (numerical) gears improve torque multiplacation at the wheels.

Remember your 10 speed mountain bike? What did you have to do when you were peddling up hill? Shift to a lower gear.

The torgue is greater in the lower gear, so it's much easier for the weight of you and the bike (or a car) to be moved.

So, with a lower final drive ratio, the car will be easier for the engine to move in every gear, which means acceleration increases.

LoLO

Established Member
ALright thanks for the explanation I understand now. Let me ask you another question then : At what speed do I start "losing power" ?
If I start a race at 80mph with my 4.10 will I still pull harder than with my stock gears? Thank you !

Also, optional question : If I don't reset my speedo, is there going to be a huge difference ? at high speed maybe like 10 or 20mph difference?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help and patience.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Don't worry about gears until you have a tuner. That should have been your first purchase along with your CAI. Gears installed can cost up to $500 in most places.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
LoLO said:
ALright thanks for the explanation I understand now. Let me ask you another question then : At what speed do I start "losing power" ?
If I start a race at 80mph with my 4.10 will I still pull harder than with my stock gears? Thank you !

Also, optional question : If I don't reset my speedo, is there going to be a huge difference ? at high speed maybe like 10 or 20mph difference?

Thanks again, I appreciate your help and patience.

You never lose power. Gears do nothing to make the engine lose power, or change it's power production characteristics.

When you go to a lower final drive the only thing you lose is potential speed. However, in most cases you actually gain top-end because the 5th gear becomes useable.

With a lower (higher numerical) gear you will in fact accelerate quicker in every gear at every rpm because the load on the engine is reduced.

The difference will depend on how much of a gearing difference you end up with. Also, because it's a ratio, the faster you go, the more inaccurate it will become. Going to a 4.10 from a 3.55 I would guess that at 75 mph you'll be close to if not more than 10 mph off.

LoLO

Established Member
The thing is I made the "mistake" of buying a CAI that did not require a tune because its already included. I am talking about the Granatelli one. I think I will still buy a tuner. Thank you for your thorough explanation torch10th ! Thank you everyone else also ;)

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sell that Granatelli and get yourself a C&L or JLT with a good tune! BTW, 4.10's are a must for these cars in my opinion.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
I just put 4.10's in the 06 GT. Stock I was getting 24 MPG with a tune per the computer readout. After the 4.10's went in the gas mileage dropped to around 22.5 MPG for the first week. I then went on a 250 mile trip and the gas mileage came back up to 24 MPG. It has stayed there ever since. So the computer will make the necessary adjustments given enough time and consistent driving.

As for how the car feels. Like a torque monster. The front end lifts up about 6 inches and stays up while going to WOT from a dead stop. 5th gear feels like the stock 4th gear. 2nd, 3rd and 4th feel like about 1.5 times more SOTP what it felt as stock. It really does "feel" like somebody put on an additonal 50 HP though it doesn't impact the HP.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Torch10th said:
You never lose power. Gears do nothing to make the engine lose power, or change it's power production characteristics.

When you go to a lower final drive the only thing you lose is potential speed. However, in most cases you actually gain top-end because the 5th gear becomes useable.

With a lower (higher numerical) gear you will in fact accelerate quicker in every gear at every rpm because the load on the engine is reduced.

The difference will depend on how much of a gearing difference you end up with. Also, because it's a ratio, the faster you go, the more inaccurate it will become. Going to a 4.10 from a 3.55 I would guess that at 75 mph you'll be close to if not more than 10 mph off.

FWI for anyone reading, all that is needed to correct the speedo is to reflash the computer to tell it that the ratio is now 4.10. No speedo gear is required.

96supersnake

Established Member
I came in a little late on this thread but, a quick question, anybody have 4.10's in their auto? I just bought an 05 roush auto just wanted some opoins.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
96supersnake said:
I came in a little late on this thread but, a quick question, anybody have 4.10's in their auto? I just bought an 05 roush auto just wanted some opoins.

I have two friends with autos: one has 3.73's and one has 4.10's

The 4.10's are a little steep for the auto after riding in the other car. I was first a supporter of the 4.10's but now would say go with the 3.73's. You are making a two step jump in ration, just like the 5spds going from 3.55 to 4.10.

96supersnake

Established Member
thanks for the replies, it's always good to hear from experienced people other than people just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread