4.10 gears track times.

Silver 03 Cobra

Two weeks ago at night I ran a best 8.88 at 84.43 mph. I installed 4.10 gears yesterday. I went to a cruise in at the same track today. Temp was in the high 90's and very high humidity. I made three runs the best of 8.78 at 84.94 mph. Not much of an improvement but considering the temp I may be able to knock off another .5 at night. I was pretty happy. My last run I launched at 3000 rpm. The two times I launched at 3k I got my best runs of the day. With the 4.10's it is a little more tricky but I really think I could have done a little better with a couple of more runs. It was just too hot to sit in line for each run. A SS with headers and lid ran a 9.03 at 81.9 mph.

I hope to get my JBA's on week after next and I'm going to put my o/r x-pipe back on and go at night. I really think I can get to 88 mph and low 8's. Maybe.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Where are you located and is your car a coupe or vert?
How many miles do you have on it?

I ran 13.3 @109 Friday night in a totally stock vert. It was 90+ degrees with stupid humidity.
My 1/8 mile was 8.71 @ 86.49

The car has about 1,200 miles on it so far.

fangstang

Established Member
Hows the car run on the street with the gears? I would think that with all the low end torque, it would be difficult to launch. I have 4.10's sitting under my bed waiting, but debating wether its a good idea or not.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
What I want to know is how fast will the car run at the 6500 rpm redline in 4th gear After you put in the 4.10's?

Black Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
What I want to know is how fast will the car run at the 6500 rpm redline in 4th gear After you put in the 4.10's?

These are the top speeds that the following gears are capable of with the engine @6500 rpms. Based on a 25.68" OD tires.

_______3.55s________3.73s________4.10s
1st____52.56 mph____50.02 mph____45.51 mph
2nd____78.54 mph____74.75 mph____68.01 mph
3rd___107.54 mph___102.35 mph____93.11 mph
4th___139.80 mph___133.06 mph___121.05 mph
5th___174.75 mph___166.32 mph___151.31 mph
6th___221.91 mph___211.20 mph___192.14 mph

As far as 6th gear highway cruising goes.
________2000 rpms___3000 rpms
3.55s___68.33 mph___102.50 mph
3.73s___65.03 mph____97.55 mph
4.10s___59.16 mph____88.75 mph

Last edited:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Black Cobra

These are the top speeds that the following gears are capable of with the engine @6500 rpms. Based on a 25.68" OD tires.

_______3.55s________3.73s________4.10s
1st____52.56 mph____50.02 mph____45.51 mph
2nd____78.54 mph____74.75 mph____68.01 mph
3rd___107.54 mph___102.35 mph____93.11 mph
4th___139.80 mph___133.06 mph___121.05 mph
5th___174.75 mph___166.32 mph___151.31 mph
6th___221.91 mph___211.20 mph___192.14 mph

As far as 6th gear highway cruising goes.
________2000 rpms___3000 rpms
3.55s___68.33 mph___102.50 mph
3.73s___65.03 mph____97.55 mph
4.10s___59.16 mph____88.75 mph
COOL, thanks for the info. Can you figure the MPH thru the gears with a 3.90 ratio rear gear?

bowtie

Established Member
Good job on the 4:10's. I would expect you to get better numbers over time. I posted a 8.248 in the 1/8 on my 2001 SS.
I am running the stock gears 3:42. My car just has modded exhaust and a cold air induction package. I did manage to beat a 2001 C5 and a Cobra (don't know the year, but I assume it certainly wasn't an 03).

How is take off on the 03 ?? Is there a lot of spinning ?? I hear the shafts are pretty weak, is this true ?

:beer:

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks for the one positive comment Bowtie in this post. You seem to have read my post. I can't hook up at all. If I can ever launch, I can post some good numbers. I forgot to post my RT and 60 ft and it is curious that two of the posters above did not ask. My RT was .41 and my 60 ft was 2.202 sec's. I think I did pretty good for hitting the rev limiter twice and getting off the throttle once. I can't get into full throttle until well off the line. There is no way you can compare times from two different tracks. WRP is regarded as a very poor track for launching. I have already stated in other posts that I am not a very good drag racer.

If there are any bone stock 03's that think they can run my 03 with 395 rwhp and 4.10's, I'll be glad to meet you at WRP any time.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake

If there are any bone stock 03's that think they can run my 03 with 395 rwhp and 4.10's, I'll be glad to meet you at WRP any time.

Just wondering why you want to run your moded cobra vs a stock one? Are you asking for lesson to improve your 60 ft and reaction time? What happened to "Run what you brung."? No flames intended just curious as to why you said that?

jtfx6552

Established Member
If there are any bone stock 03's that think they can run my 03 with 395 rwhp and 4.10's, I'll be glad to meet you at WRP any time
I don't understand the point of your post, I thought we were your friends on this board, then you call the majority of us that are still stock out?

BTW, you should be glad you are far away, as I'd love to take you up on your little challange...

JT

bowtie

Established Member
Silver03Snake

Dude, don't let these guys bring you down. You have something people like me envy (a faster car). Also, you will improve over time. Your RT is nice and don't worry too much about the 60'. My best so far is 1.9. I suck at 60' times myself. A neigbor of mine owns a Ford Performance shop here in Charlotte, NC and works on all mustangs in general. He told me to learn the car first, don't try to launch as if your life depends on it. I have to admit, he is right on. I must launch much more slowly before I hit the gas to WOT. You say rev limiter, Hhahahahah, I hear ya. That thing killed me many times, but glad it's there. Many guys I know are using harlan shift lights. I just physically lowered my shifting RPM's which helps for 1/8 mi shifts. In the SS, you just hit third right before you hit the trap so earlier rev shift assists my times.

Keep up the good work and your posts. It's fun to learn from a young guy like yourself, especially when eating rice is the ultimate goal. As I stated in another topic, I would have one of these fine machines if I didn't have to pay a market add on price.
I personally can't give anymore money to these guys when much value is lost within ten min. from driving off the lot. So my friend enjoy the ride ! Talk to ya soon!

Tomorleans

Established Member
I dont think 4:10`s would be a good idea on the 03 Cobras. These cars dont have wind me up blowers they are Roots cars. They do better hanging around in the middle RPM range longer. Not to mention they just blow up the tires on the streets.

boosted89

Established Member
Were you running at Wilkesboro Raceway Park yesterday? If so, I saw a couple of your runs. I was driving the white supercharged 89 GT with 98 cobra wheels. Not to sound like I'm flaming the track, but if you want to pick up some ET and MPH, go to Farmington Dragway. I think it has a lower altitude, not to mention a more level surface (and alot better traction!!!) I consistently run 91-92 mph at Farmington on radials. Yesterday I only made one pass at Wilkesboro (8.56 at 87.88 mph), and then realized it was just too hot to beat on my car. My mph was down by 4.5 in the 1/8th. To me, that's a alot. I've also been able to pull 60 ft. times in the 1.9 range on regular street tires at the Farm. At WRP, it was nowhere near this, (something like 2.24).I think you would pick up a few mph and alot of ET by bettering your 60 ft. times. Either hone your launching skills, or look into some Nitto or BFG Drag radials. My car still spins on the Nittos, but they made it a little more consistent. With your 4.10's, you may have to feather the clutch and roll into the throttle a little differently than with the 3.55's. Just trying to help a little. If you want to run better ET's at a more standardized track, let me know and I'll meet you at Farmington, you should run alot better there. I've ran at WRP several times in the past, and so have my friends, and it is consistently slower than the other 1/8th mile tracks around. By the way, my friends black SS ran 8.80-something at 82 mph up there yesterday in the heat. Not sure if it was the one you mentioned, but it had a lid and full SLP exhaust.

'03KILLA

Established Member
Not tryin to flame, but what elevation are you at and what was you 60'?

Those times seem pretty weak.:shrug:

Chris

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

boosted89, that was me, silver coupe. I appreciate the input. I was getting a little paranoid about my times. I know a lot of my performance problems is the driver. Although, I'm beginning to feel like my car is down on power. It just doesn't feel like it is pulling like it did when I first got it. Maybe it's just me. After I sold my 01 earlier this year I bought a '91 LX four cylinder to drive around until my 03 arrived. Getting out of the LX into the 03 was like night and day. I may be just getting used to the power. I dynoed at 395/374 at the wheels at 900 miles with a full Bassani. I'd like to dyno again just to see but I found a person on BON that had a set of new JBA 1 5/8 Cat4Ward headers for sale cheap and I hope to get them put on this Saturday if they get here by Friday. I'll probably put my o/r x-pipe back on when I do the headers. Then I'll dyno again and I would think I should be in the 430 range. If it is around 400-410 then I'll know something is wrong.

I saw your car there. It is super sharp. That body style has always been my favorite. I believe you have a Ford/Powerdyne blower if I looked at your car with a Vortech inlet tube. It sounds like it's pretty fast. Have you dynoed. Hoyles Auto Sales in Taylorsville has a Dynojet. A couple of the Camaro dudes I run with are trying to set up a group dyno session in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you're interested.

The dudes I run with are almost all CHevy guys. I know one dude in Wilkesboro and we have been talking about getting up a few guys and going to a 1/4 mile track. Give me a couple of weeks to get the headers on and a few things lined up and we'll get a group up and go.

Where is Farmington and what days do they run. I'm not into entering a race but if it's a test and tune night/day I'm ready to go. I think WRP is around 2000 ft. Let's keep in touch. I'm on this board quite often.

Larry

boosted89

Established Member
Larry, I sent you an email, but I forgot a few things. One reason your car doesn't feel as strong could be contributed to the hot and humid weather around here lately. The weather Sunday was terrible, and my car felt like a dog. However, around 2 am that night the temp was alot cooler, and my car felt like it gained 100 hp. Also, if you run during test and tunes, make sure to let the car cool sufficiently between runs. I like to let mine cool down to around 140, and when I get to the starting line it's usually around 160. If I make a pass coming straight in off the street, the ET's are significantly worse. Supercharged cars love cool air, it's just the nature of the beast. Just wait till you 03 guys drive your cars this winter on a cold day! You'll be amazed!!!

About the 1/4 mile trip, some friends of mine are wanting to take a trip to Rockingham one Friday night. I think they're planning to go the weekend of the FFW, and run the Friday night test n tune and watch the rest of the weekend. Can't remember the date though. I'd like to go, but I'll have to see how things are going then. Later,

Shane

46stang

Established Member
so besides your drag times how do you like them on the street?? Don't sweat your times,it's all about practice! And maybe a better track:) sounds like that track sucks balls!!
Leon

Users who are viewing this thread