3v Expedition aiming for 10's

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
AWESOME and detailed write-up. It's coming along nicely. I just realized that we hadn't seen a photo of your Exhibition until your post this morning. I like it! How do your boys like it?

Midas

Established Member
nice build! can you talk about how you max effort 3valves guys handle the vct cam phaser system? do you do cam phaser lockouts or eliminate the phasers completely?

i was checking out the comp cams page for 3 valves but couldn't tell how their cams work with the phasers and sprockets.
The phasers usually always get completely locked out in max effort builds. Locking out/ eliminating the Vct phasers is achieved by adding a perfectly fitting spacer inside the oem phasers not allowing them to phase. In high tq motors those phasers have been known to explode... it's best to keep them as a solid unit as possible, in hope that they will not grenade. CompCams# 127350 and beehive springs are my set up. I honestly should have went with 450s or 550s, however they can cause for a more rough idle. My 350s are kinda embracing the true sleeper nature of the build... a plus knowing these same cams have made 900rwhp in mustangs.

How the phasers phase the smaller cams, but need to be limited or locked out for the larger cams... honestly I'm not 100% sure. So I'll let a smarter man explain that...

Midas

Established Member
AWESOME and detailed write-up. It's coming along nicely. I just realized that we hadn't seen a photo of your Exhibition until your post this morning. I like it! How do your boys like it?
Thank for the support bro! My boy's were a lot of my motivation for building the expedition! They have a pretty vast knowledge of all sorts of cool automotive info. My 9and 11yr old frequent car shows with me; the look on people face when my boy's roll up asking what size pulley you got, and how much hp/tq u got...lmfa!!! My 11yr "ya you need to pulley that thing down man, there's more in it"...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL! That's awesome that they share your love of the car hobby, especially the mods side.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
nice build! can you talk about how you max effort 3valves guys handle the vct cam phaser system? do you do cam phaser lockouts or eliminate the phasers completely?

i was checking out the comp cams page for 3 valves but couldn't tell how their cams work with the phasers and sprockets.
When i did cams in my 3 valve with FRPP heads it required some heavy duty valve springs and retainers but i believe utilized the VCT system with some tuning to limit the amount of cam timing changes.

It didnt make a ton of power for a heads, cams, full bolt on 4.6 3 valve - 358rwhp on a Mustang dyno. Car would run neck and neck with a H/C/I 2012 Camaro SS though so it had some "Get up and go" to it.

I know they have the lock outs but ive never ridden in a "maxed out" 3 valve with them installed. I kind of wonder if just going to a set cam profile would benefit the car over the variable cam timing in terms of outright performance. Lose all of the lower end for max up top power?

Midas

Established Member
I've decided to order this On3 6" performance intercooler for the build. I felt the 4" piping would bottle neck at the 3" procharger ic... now the induction system should be complete!
Screenshot_20221004-150005_Chrome.jpg

Midas

Established Member
The 6"er is the way to go if you can fit it! I installed one on a Vortec Marauder that pushes 25psi. It dropped the IATs 50* over the old 3"er that was in there.
It's gonna be a tight fit, but I have the room. This size ic from any other fab shop is 1000s...

Midas

Established Member
Crazy project, but I admire the effort and determination. Nobody expects to get waxed by an Expedition.
Lol...
I'm aiming for Trackhawks and Hellcat Durangos.... but I'm sure the sting is gonna be extra bad for the muscle car group...

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Midas

Established Member
Updates coming soon***

The expedition is sitting @ MPR in Henderson nv getting the final assembly. Hoping to have it on the dyno by the end of the month, fingers crossed...

Users who are viewing this thread