3v Broken Spark Plug Tool

Cobrachs

Established Member
Anyone in the DC Metro area have the Lisle 65600 Broken plug removal tool for 3v engines? I thought my nephew had one when I started to change the plugs in my 06 F150, and so far 3 out of the 4 plugs I pulled are broken. Don't really want to buy a new one but if someone wants to lend, rent or sell theirs please let me know. Thanks

Charles

Lisle 65600

65600silver_5B035419F9A18.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Damn that sucks Charles, wish I could help. What the hell was Ford thinking? Can't believe there was no TSB or something for this. My dad's truck broke like 6 plugs when he got them changed out, freakin nuts.

TRBO VNM

I will let you know Charles. I will add it to my tool collection, but need to see if my snap-on guy is back in town.

silver03tt

Established Member
I just got done changing plugs in my 04 F150 3v. I watched a video on youtube and read some articles on how to change them. I'm not sure if you know or not but I had to start to loosen the plug till I met some serious resistance then I would spray the plug with penetrating oil and move on to another one. I would later go back and work that plug by tightening and loosening little by little. I would then spray with more penetrating oil and come back to it later and repeat the process until the plug was removed. I only broke one by using this method and that was one of the first ones that I attempted and I got too impatient. I also had to borrow that same tool to remove the broken plug and the tool works great. Remember to put never sieze on the new plugs to prevent it from happening again. :thumbsup:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah, that method is in the TSB for that problem. Anti-seize won't help this problem as I understand it though. The threads aren't the issue. It's the shaft of the plug that goes down into the combustion chamber getting gummed up and sticking that's the "sticking point". That's why when the plugs break, the threaded portion comes out, but the rest of the plug stays in. One trick for getting these out might be to change them hot, while the carbon deposits are still malleable.

Anyway, my neighbor has the tool, and just got back in town. I'll try to get it from him tomorrow. Charles, what's your schedule like?

Cobrachs

Established Member
Thanks Mike, but yeah I picked one up from Snap-On yesterday.

I brought it up to operating temp, and started working on the driver side. Loosened each one up and sprayed some Sea Foam DC in there and let it work in for a couple hours. The first one came right out but the next three broke with no resistance at all. I didn't even realize they broke until they were loose and wouldn't come out. I though they were all good they turned so easy. Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread