3rd gear lock out?!

Svt_devin

SVT Devin
Established Member
Ive owned my 03 cobra for about 4 months now. When I am racing or just doing a pull and I go for 3rd its like I hit a wall, no grind, it just will not go into gear for a second, its about 1/2 and 1/2 sometimes is does and other times it will not. Even happens from 3rd to 4th sometimes. I have a stage 3 clutch that i know is good and a stock shifter aside from hurst stick. I have heard that maybe adjusting the clutch cable could help. Keep in mind I have been driving manual trucks a long time so the T56 is a change for me... So, do I need to make some changes to my car or is it just me?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The factory plastic clutch cable quadrant under the dash can bend in racing scenarios, especially with a heavier clutch. Has this been changed out with an aftermarket/rigid piece? An aftermarket shifter will have heavier springs to guide you into 3rd and help keep you centered when going into 4th. You may look into one of those too. I personally have ran all Steeda stuff for over a decade.

Edit- a firewall adjuster is also needed when changing the quadrant. The factory quadrant is self-adjusting, so making cable adjustments as the clutch wears will be up to you from that point on.

Last edited:

Dave.O

Established Member
Mine started doing this when synchro started going out

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread