3650 aftermarket shifter question

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I got one for christmas and it didn't come with any instructions, a friend of mine told me not to use the shift stops because my 3650 has internal ones and it'll screw something up. Is he correct, I ahve already put 5-600 miles on it and seems fine

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
As i recall, your friend is correct, the 3650 has internal stops. It's us 99 and before guys with the T-45's that have issues with bent shift forks.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
As i recall, your friend is correct, the 3650 has internal stops. It's us 99 and before guys with the T-45's that have issues with bent shift forks.

Will it hurt anything if i did install it with the stops? I installed the shifter with the stops backed off, put it in third and ran the stop till it touched, backed it off a full turn and tightened the jamb nut. did the same procedure in fourth gear as well.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Will it hurt anything if i did install it with the stops? I installed the shifter with the stops backed off, put it in third and ran the stop till it touched, backed it off a full turn and tightened the jamb nut. did the same procedure in fourth gear as well.

You probably won't hurt anything so long as the jam nuts don't loosen/back off. I've seen a couple issues like that. Also, after I found out our transmissions had internal stops and I backed my shift stop bolts out, my shifting was a lot smoother.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.

Thank you, this is what i was looking for:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread