331 List with questions

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I think the smaller heads mentioned for the 331 are a good choice for a pure street car. Should keep the power range in the lower rpms which is where you want it for a street car. Larger heads will give more power up top but cost power down low.

Not at all true, but ok.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Well the correct cam would need to be used obviously, but I would think the smaller runners would give more air velocity in the lower rpm range then larger runners would. Or am I incorrect in thinking that?

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Well the correct cam would need to be used obviously, but I would think the smaller runners would give more air velocity in the lower rpm range then larger runners would. Or am I incorrect in thinking that?

You are incorrect. This type of thinking is what has haunted 5.0 pushrod enthusiasts forever and is why you see HCI 5.0s making 290whp.

from6to8

Established Member
Ok well if your boy says that then go for it.

Yes Indeedy. And he is one that actually takes his car to the track lol. I remember him mentioning once he was thinking about making the stang an all out drag car but I guess he sort of changed his mind along the years and went with the 205s. He said yeah if you want your car to be an all out drag car go for what you spoke of in previous post.

If he says his car 408 is a beast with his setup, trust me I believe him lol

from6to8

Established Member
I think the smaller heads mentioned for the 331 are a good choice for a pure street car. Should keep the power range in the lower rpms which is where you want it for a street car. Larger heads will give more power up top but cost power down low.
My thinking is along the same lines also. I'm not an expert in the area but my builder echoed some of the same things though I know stopsign don't agree on some of what you said I guess. I'm not going to dispute anyone's opinion and its all good. I appreciate anyone who offers help but ultimately the person has to just soak it all in and decide what he thinks is best using all of the input he got.

from6to8

Established Member
You are incorrect. This type of thinking is what has haunted 5.0 pushrod enthusiasts forever and is why you see HCI 5.0s making 290whp.
one good thing is he is going to build the motor as well as grind the cam. He'll know what heads I have so he can build everything accordingly.

yes I made 291 and 313 ft lb trq with my combo. Edelbrock performer rpm 2, TF 170s, custom cam grind buy same guy, 1.6 rr, 24 lb inj, 255 lb hr fp, shorty headers , X pipe, and flowmasters.

Now at first i didnt want to believe it when guys were telling me that using a GT40 or maybe even a ported cobra intake with my combo, I might of made overall better numbers. Up to though my combo might have prevailed better. Especially from 3k up to 6-6500. And that's a maybe I guess

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Yes Indeedy. And he is one that actually takes his car to the track lol. I remember him mentioning once he was thinking about making the stang an all out drag car but I guess he sort of changed his mind along the years and went with the 205s. He said yeah if you want your car to be an all out drag car go for what you spoke of in previous post.

If he says his car 408 is a beast with his setup, trust me I believe him lol

That makes no sense at all. So certain heads are "all out drag car" heads?

Sorry but your friend doesn't sound too bright.

Oh and I go to the track also and have built myself a 456rwhp pump gas 331 on a 95 GT block all while using an off the shelf hydraulic camshaft. But it sounds like you and your boy have it all buttoned up so I'll see myself out. Doesn't seem your mind is going to be changed.

from6to8

Established Member
That makes no sense at all. So certain heads are "all out drag car" heads?

Sorry but your friend doesn't sound too bright.

Oh and I go to the track also and have built myself a 456rwhp pump gas 331 on a 95 GT block all while using an off the shelf hydraulic camshaft. But it sounds like you and your boy have it all buttoned up so I'll see myself out. Doesn't seem your mind is going to be changed.
LOL hey man don't get so worked up. Maybe he was speaking along the lines of depending on what combination is used when you say use a 205 heads for a 331. I'm sure you could use a lot of different combinations with that same set up you said to use and it may be bad for It While others are few changes might be night/day. I won't get into the whole whose right/ wrong , know what they talking about/ don't know what they talking about. I'll reserve that for a live 3 way chat :)

456 NA?

StalkerStang

Established Member
It's funny the myth that large runner heads equals no torque is still out there.... or that you will only see the benefits in the upper rpm range.

I don't think I would ever run anything "smaller" than a 190 11r TFS head..... even on a 302. I wouldn't hesitate to run a 205 head on a 331/347, especially with the cylinder heads that are available today....

With the proper cam and intake it's gonna make more power everywhere.

Some guys are still content with GT40 iron heads though lol!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
It's funny the myth that large runner heads equals no torque is still out there.... or that you will only see the benefits in the upper rpm range.

I don't think I would ever run anything "smaller" than a 190 11r TFS head..... even on a 302. I wouldn't hesitate to run a 205 head on a 331/347, especially with the cylinder heads that are available today....

With the proper cam and intake it's gonna make more power everywhere.

Some guys are still content with GT40 iron heads though lol!

You are one of a few that think like that. Honestly if I could do it all over I'd throw 205 heads on a stock 5.0 with notched pistons and if I was building a 331 it would have 225 heads.

Looking back one thing that helped me out a lot. I built my 331 based off a 346 LS1/LS7. And I think we can all agree that a LS runs good. That was my blank canvas and I went from there.

Sadly some people will never ever learn and will continue to listen to "bubba that's got that real fast tree fitty won windsor".

Last edited:

StalkerStang

Established Member
I would like to do a 8.2 deck combo in the future.... probably in a SN car....

I bit the 9.5 bullet though, no turning back now.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'd never put another dollar in a 8.2

400+W or nothing

I really want to build a big bore Dart block stroker 9.5

Last edited:

from6to8

Established Member
I'd never put another dollar in a 8.2

400+W or nothing

I really want to build a big bore Dart block stroker 9.5
Having 3 cars and for the way I drive and what I use my cars for, plus 300 hp for 10 yrs being decent, i think I'd be happy with the numbers I said in post number 3 for ALL 3 cars i plan to have; all 3 having different hp levels and me being able to get something different out of each 3 i drive plus cosmetically they will be different. Some mustang folks , well put it like this, everyone has a different level of what they want out of their car and what they are satisfied with so it is what it is. I mean in one of my post I said I'm not going to argue or get butt hurt or call you an A hole or anything for your opinions but I said that myself and my boys opinions are just that lol; they are our opinions based on our cars.

You said you made 456 NA and I asked what was the combo. I mean if you are upset and don't want to help in that regard it's all good. If I give someone an opinion and they don't take what I said and use what I said, I'm not going to not offer another opinion if they ask. This world is too ****ed up and too shitty and life's too short to be that way homie.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Well I still think the OP would have a fun street car with his intended combo with the right cam and compression. Could he make more power doing it differently? Probably. But as he said he is wanting to build several cars with different setups so he will have the oportunity for more power with them.

Personally I'm struggling financially to built my 04 and my son's 03. The idea of building 3 cars for myself, a terminator being one of them, is beyond my pay grade. lol

from6to8

Established Member
Well I still think the OP would have a fun street car with his intended combo with the right cam and compression. Could he make more power doing it differently? Probably. But as he said he is wanting to build several cars with different setups so he will have the oportunity for more power with them.

Personally I'm struggling financially to built my 04 and my son's 03. The idea of building 3 cars for myself, a terminator being one of them, is beyond my pay grade. lol
You hit on the head man. I wanted to sell my wrecked car. Car's been down 2 yrs and hard to let go of it. Bought new as a v6 in 95 and converted it in 02 when blew a headgasket. That car has had a good bit of money put into it so I bought it back from the insurance co. Just recently I said hell I might as well just take that motor and do a 331 and build the car I bought a year ago using most of all the suspension stuff and everything off of the wrecked one. And I'm one who believes in using what you have and making it work, saving money while doing so. Instead of just doing a 331 with new heads and another intake and having to hold on to the other stuff and hope I sell them and get what I want, I'd rather just use them since my studies have led me to believe in fact they will work and it won't be a drastic drastic disadvantage.

My son is 15 and he and I have always talked about having more than one stang set up different ways cosmetically. So being able to have them setup cosmetically different as well as mechanically, it's a win win situaton to me. I could have bought that 04 cobra from a guy a yr ago. 675 hp on 93 and e85 724. But I was like no I don't want to go backwards. I dont want to go down in hp. To me, building my 400 after driving and getting used to a car with 675 hp and going down to 500 I really don't know what thrill I would get. So I'm going to gladly go from roughly 350-375, to 500, to 675 between the 3 cars :D:);)

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Having 3 cars and for the way I drive and what I use my cars for, plus 300 hp for 10 yrs being decent, i think I'd be happy with the numbers I said in post number 3 for ALL 3 cars i plan to have; all 3 having different hp levels and me being able to get something different out of each 3 i drive plus cosmetically they will be different. Some mustang folks , well put it like this, everyone has a different level of what they want out of their car and what they are satisfied with so it is what it is. I mean in one of my post I said I'm not going to argue or get butt hurt or call you an A hole or anything for your opinions but I said that myself and my boys opinions are just that lol; they are our opinions based on our cars.

You said you made 456 NA and I asked what was the combo. I mean if you are upset and don't want to help in that regard it's all good. If I give someone an opinion and they don't take what I said and use what I said, I'm not going to not offer another opinion if they ask. This world is too ****ed up and too shitty and life's too short to be that way homie.

I'm not upset at all, please don't take it that way. I just don't see the need in wasting my time spoon feeding you information on my combinations. (nor would I at all, do your own research) Like you have said numerous times, you have 3 cars and your boy has you covered.

Honestly I'm curious why you even made this thread. But to answer your question, the parts you are reusing the only things I'd use in a 331 is your stock distributor.

Users who are viewing this thread