315HP 2015 Edge Sport

EditorTurner

Established Member
2015 Ford Edge Sport Featured.jpg
Power Sport
The 2015 Edge Sport is the most powerful Edge yet
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Our friends at Ford are definitely on a power trip lately—and we love it. Fresh off introducing a whole new line of Ford Performance vehicles, the company is even putting the power to its sport utilities. In fact, the company recently announced that the 2015 Edge Sport is the most powerful Edge yet.
Continue reading →

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
No definite release date?

I see Spring of this year, but is there an actual day give or take?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
No definite release date?

I see Spring of this year, but is there an actual day give or take?

My wife just picked one up and i believe its one of the first to be sold. We paid under MSRP and had to fight tooth and nail to get it that way.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
does anyone know 0-6 or 1/4 mile times yet?

Curious how it stacks up vs the explorer sport.

0-60 is in the 6.5 second range and 1/4 mile is 15.0 @ 89 from what i have read. Although i believe it is faster and they may have reposted the 2014 Edge Sport times without the proper test. I do know its about as fast as my Fiesta ST from a roll. So maybe .3-.5 tenths quicker since its only 20hp/40lb-ft more than the outgoing Sport model.

The Explorer Sport will flat out murder it. A friend has one that scoots into the 13's with a tune and panel filter. Once my wife gets through the warranty period we will be tuning it to get rid of the horrible shift points and torque management. You can really feel it in first, second and the power increase in third gear when at WOT. Hoping for 13's with a panel filter, tune and downpipes. So far the panel filter made it a little louder but that is about it.

Last edited:

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
0-60 is in the 6.5 second range and 1/4 mile is 15.0 @ 89 from what i have read. Although i believe it is faster and they may have reposted the 2014 Edge Sport times without the proper test. I do know its about as fast as my Fiesta ST from a roll. So maybe .3-.5 tenths quicker since its only 20hp/40lb-ft more than the outgoing model.

The Explorer Sport will flat out murder it. A friend has one that scoots into the 13's with a tune and panel filter. Once my wife gets through the warranty period we will be tuning it to get rid of the horrible shift points and torque management. You can really feel it in first, second and the power increase in third gear when at WOT. Hoping for 13's with a panel filter, tune and downpipes. So far the panel filter made it a little louder but that is about it.

That's what I was thinking (about the explorer) and it sounds like it may be a better choice for me if I'm not wanting to sacrifice straight line acceleration. Anything that I can end up with in the mid to low 13's would be great... even if it weighs 4600 lbs.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
That's what I was thinking (about the explorer) and it sounds like it may be a better choice for me if I'm not wanting to sacrifice straight line acceleration. Anything that I can end up with in the mid to low 13's would be great... even if it weighs 4600 lbs.

The only problem i have with the Explorer Sport is the front drivers seat. Im 5'11" and it felt like i was a mile away from the door. I couldnt fathom having to drive it every day as i like to rest my elbow on the door while steering. It was so far that i couldnt get comfortable in any position. My wife didnt mind since she is so small but it really bothered me. The rest of the truck is amazing though. Tech packed and extremely quiet. They did a great job with the NVH over the standard Explorer. The XLT felt like a rattle trap and the tire noise was horrible. One other thing that i dont like is the stupid "Explorer" in HUGE black letters on the hood. Why they put that there baffles me as it takes away from the clean lines. That would be my first mod, to remove the stupid badge off the hood.

For straight line oomph you cannot go wrong with the Explorer Sport. A tune alone and its a monster. Full bolt ons and a tune should be in the low 13's or high 12's. That is smoking for a 5000lb truck.

Livernois Motorsports Explorer Sport running 12's w/ CAI, tune, 170 tstat, downpipes and exhaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmH0MRPwuYE

I will say that it has better shift points than the Edge Sport. I dont know why Ford added a huge torque management system to the Edge but it really kills the fun feeling in first and second gear. On a highway roll the truck flat hauls but its those first two gears on take off that you really feel it being held back. This is more than likely why the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times suffer.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
The only problem i have with the Explorer Sport is the front drivers seat. Im 5'11" and it felt like i was a mile away from the door. I couldnt fathom having to drive it every day as i like to rest my elbow on the door while steering. It was so far that i couldnt get comfortable in any position. My wife didnt mind since she is so small but it really bothered me. The rest of the truck is amazing though. Tech packed and extremely quiet. They did a great job with the NVH over the standard Explorer. The XLT felt like a rattle trap and the tire noise was horrible. One other thing that i dont like is the stupid "Explorer" in HUGE black letters on the hood. Why they put that there baffles me as it takes away from the clean lines. That would be my first mod, to remove the stupid badge off the hood.

For straight line oomph you cannot go wrong with the Explorer Sport. A tune alone and its a monster. Full bolt ons and a tune should be in the low 13's or high 12's. That is smoking for a 5000lb truck.

Livernois Motorsports Explorer Sport running 12's w/ CAI, tune, 170 tstat, downpipes and exhaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmH0MRPwuYE

I will say that it has better shift points than the Edge Sport. I dont know why Ford added a huge torque management system to the Edge but it really kills the fun feeling in first and second gear. On a highway roll the truck flat hauls but its those first two gears on take off that you really feel it being held back. This is more than likely why the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times suffer.

The Explorer is spelled out on the hood to keep with the design steal off of the Range Rover sport. Taillight design is almost a duplicate also.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The Explorer is spelled out on the hood to keep with the design steal off of the Range Rover sport. Taillight design is almost a duplicate also.

Horrible. Just plain horrible. Its not a damn Range Rover. Ford needs to stop trying to copy others and just do it how they used to do it. With its own flair. Put a small "Sport" badge on the back and make it go like stink. That is all that was needed with the Sport models.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Horrible. Just plain horrible. Its not a damn Range Rover. Ford needs to stop trying to copy others and just do it how they used to do it. With its own flair. Put a small "Sport" badge on the back and make it go like stink. That is all that was needed with the Sport models.

also design cues borrowed are the side profile of the headlight assemblies and the rear spoiler above the hatch. It gets mistaken quite often for a RR sport, not by RR owners though.

Range-Rover-Sport-_2600948k.jpg

2014-Range-Rover-Sport-Autobiography-Fuji-white.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

2015-ford-explorer-sport-trac-images.jpg

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
Saw one of these on the street the other day. Damn nice looking SUV. Gonna go test drive one soon I think. I test drove a 15 Explorer sport the other day and it was pretty damn nice as well. Rode pretty nice for a large SUV and had a fair amount of pickup when floored. Just think that the Edge is better looking than the Explorer after seeing one in person.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ouch... my 15 year old volvo runs high/mid 14's :/

Well, maybe the tuning community can breathe some life into that motor. I know it has plenty of potential.

livernois will knock a tenth off with just a tune.

I think with just a basic tune and turn off the torque truncation it would be .4-.5 faster than it is now. The truck feels terrible in first and second. Third hits and boost comes on like crazy. Full power in first and second would get it off the line much, much, much quicker. Easily a high 13 second truck with 93 octane and a tune.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I think with just a basic tune and turn off the torque truncation it would be .4-.5 faster than it is now. The truck feels terrible in first and second. Third hits and boost comes on like crazy. Full power in first and second would get it off the line much, much, much quicker. Easily a high 13 second truck with 93 octane and a tune.

Ment to say second. The explorer went from 14.4 to a 13.4, tune only. No exhaust work, no meth, etc....

GT500R

Established Member
I think its higher than that. The Vbox is good but it likes to pull the numbers lower than it actually is. Id say high 14's is probable.

How does a Vbox that uses GPS data and yaw sensor data to achieve an accurate 0-60 time show numbers lower than it actually is? It is popular among a lot of car magazines and has a very very high level of accuracy. And comparisons to an acual 1/4 mile track have to be spot on...

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The Vbox is impressive but this truck is not a low 14 second truck. From a slow roll it cannot pull away from my Fiesta. The Fiesta is a high 14 second car.
I don't have solid data but am very confident it's not a low 14 second truck.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
The Vbox is impressive but this truck is not a low 14 second truck. From a slow roll it cannot pull away from my Fiesta. The Fiesta is a high 14 second car.
I don't have solid data but am very confident it's not a low 14 second truck.

Quote from a recent Car and Driver review:
Still, the new Edge is heavy. Yet it clipped off a zero-to-60-mph run of 5.6 seconds and passed through the quarter in 14.2 seconds at 98 mph. The 315-hp 2.7-liter twin-turbo V-6 is a beast, one that unleashes its power silently. Turbo response is practically instant—there’s no wait for the power to build, and all 350 lb-ft of torque are on duty at 2750 rpm. Acceleration is a rush, a fabulous surge through all six gears.

Users who are viewing this thread