315 BFG + 17x10.5" + Cobra IRS = tire rub (DUW)

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
i mean computer wise. is there any adjustments need to keep speedo and everything else right on?

aborted

nothing
Established Member
wjfawb0 said:
2004_2_11_Nittos%20007_small.jpg

Dsc00191.jpg

Look at the way the tire is angled in this picture:
Dsc00192.jpg

GS-D3
Dsc00193.jpg

Judging by the way your car is sitting on the rear tires.. looks like a toe-out problem. There's a tool that you can get to fix this problem. See how the top of the tires are leaning in towards the car which is probably why it's causing the tires to rub against that bolt. I mean if someone from the board is saying he has 18" with no problem with tire rub against it I'd say try adjusting it and see if that makes a difference.

wjfawb0

Established Member
The car has 62,000 miles on it with no uneven tire wear or handling problems. I think the difference in fitment is wheel diameter and backspacing of different wheel manufacturers. If you've ever had a few of these IRSs out of the cars, the tolerances aren't that great on them. Many of the wheel tire combos I have had on the car don't require spacers when sitting on the ground, but I don't like the idea of my sidewall being close to the bolt head or bracket under hard cornering or "airborne" situations. I'm still running spacers though I'm running 275/40-17 tires right now. I don't like the stock look of the car with the fenders sticking out over the tires in the rear. The rear quarters on the 99-04 mustangs have always looked goofy to me anyway, the way they curve in under the car.

cobraracer46

Banned
Very good write up!
Very soon, I will be installing 315 35 17 GSD 3's so I ordered a set of MM 1/2 spacers, ARP studs and MM's round head IRS bolt kit. I will post all the install pics when the entire project is done. :rolling: :burnout:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so in those final three pics, what is the bottom line combo you are using? the offset and width really looks great from the rear!

thx

wjfawb0

Established Member
VERTIBLEMENACE said:
so in those final three pics, what is the bottom line combo you are using? the offset and width really looks great from the rear!

thx

I was using the moroso studs from MM, gorilla lug nuts from MM, 1/2" hubcentric spacer from MM, 17x10.5 wheels, 315 BFG GeForce2 drag radials as tirerack calls them.

dun4791

Established Member
With the wheel replica 10.5X 17s and 315 nittos, you just need to grind the IRS bolt (maybe depending on car) but you do not need spacers.

Im going to 315 X 17 BFGs this summer and have 3/8 hubcentric spacers and extended reach lug nuts for the stock studs. I hope 3/8 is enough. Ill post and let guys know what I find......

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
ok got em mounted balanced and all that , but im going to be hitting the bolt. any buy the steeda one with the short head?? did it work for you?

Sny714

Established Member
I have 17x10.5 Fr500 with 315 Nittos and the fit is perfect when the car isnt lifted. When the suspension is unloaded the IRS bolt hits the sidewall of the tire, but once the car isnt jacked up the clearance is fine.

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
I cant see the pics of the post can someone tell me where else i can find how to replace my rear studs on my 03 cobra with IRS..thanks pm me pliz

wjfawb0

Established Member
The pictures just showed me using some pieces of steel bar stock along with two c-clamps to slowly press each stud out. Similarly I believe I used two clamps and the bar stock to press the new studs in. I still have the pictures, but I'd have to upload them to my new webspace and alter the links in the post if possible.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
I cant see the pics of the post can someone tell me where else i can find how to replace my rear studs on my 03 cobra with IRS..thanks pm me pliz

You probably cant see the pics because this thread was started almost 7 years ago.

cuban2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread