3" x-pipe???

ALLNTRL

Established Member
There was a new guy on here last night I can't remember what he went by on here. Anyway, he owns LS1 motorsports and has recently purchased an 03' Cobra (you gotta love that) :thumbsup: he said that they are working on a 3" X-pipe and a 3"cat-back for the 03' Cobra and they should be ready in about 3 weeks. He is suppose to post dyno-numbers soon. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Elliotness

Established Member
Please educate me on the difference between 2.5 inch and 3 inch systems... Better flow??????? What are the benifits what is the downside.

Is it worth waiting to get the 3" system. I'm going to order mine soon as the car will be here in about 3 weeks hopefully.

Undy

Established Member
Supercharged engines follow the beat of a different drum when it comes to exhaust.. The 3" exhaust on the lightnings caused a LOSS of horse power even over the stock exhaust system. Our 03s seem to completely follow the L on what does and what doesn't work for performance gains.. My advice, for what it's worth, is to stay away from any 3" exhaust system...period. excuse me while I go put on my nomex suit for the responses..:burn:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Undy no fire but it is my understanding that blown vehicles supercharged or turbo charge typically perform better with a larger diameter exhaust system. Yes I do agree going 3" on a stock Cobra or Lightning will probably cost horsepower. Stock we are running 400 flywheel hp so the right sized pipes are actually 2.5". However when we start modifying our cars the larger diameter pipes will perform better. Now if you talk with Haveight which is making close to 540 flywheel horsepower has one of the fastest 03's has similar modes to others the main difference is he has a 3" exhaust and others have 2.5" and he is trapping the highest speed I believe it is currently 12.0@124 MPH.

Here is a standard I know for calculating pipe diameter.
2" 100 Max Brake Horsepower per pipe
2.25" 160 Max Brake Horsepower per pipe
2.5" 200 Max Brake Horsepower per pipe
3" 300 Max Brake Horsepower per pipe

Elliotness if you want a pretty good explanation on basic exhaust tech here is an article. The only problem is its on a foreign car site.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Users who are viewing this thread