**3 Classes of E85 Blends Offered in a Particular Area**

kmadona

Established Member
Are there many ethanol stations in Ok? I haven't seen any in the New Orleans area. What boost are you runnning with the 2.2?

da2k17

Established Member
so is this legit? it makes me nervous reading some of that as im going to do an e85 tune soon but it seems like it would be a PITA to find out which fuel your actually using.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
so is this legit? it makes me nervous reading some of that as im going to do an e85 tune soon but it seems like it would be a PITA to find out which fuel your actually using.
It's not get a tester for like $20 and you can test at each fill up in a few minitues.

GodStang

Established Member
Chris. I have not found those to be consistent with testing.

That is the same chart from the Department of Energy site. Saw it a few years ago. The thing is it will not be consistent at all. The problem is if a station fills up in January but very few cars come and get E85 from that station. They may not refill for 2 months and the fuel added my be a different blend. So depending on the place it could be 3/4 class 3 and 1/4 class class 1. Meaning it does not agree with the chart. The ONLY way to know is get one of the testers from summit and test what you are getting.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
So if I'm going E85, I'm going to have to test my fuel every single time I fill up or else I could risk problems? The only way I could actually test it before its to late is to purchase the fuel and put in another container then test it and put it in my car? Kind of a PITA if you ask me.

GodStang

Established Member
So if I'm going E85, I'm going to have to test my fuel every single time I fill up or else I could risk problems? The only way I could actually test it before its to late is to purchase the fuel and put in another container then test it and put it in my car? Kind of a PITA if you ask me.

No not every time but it is a good idea to test every so often.

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member

No reason to test it every single fill up if you're going to the same station. I would just test it a few months out of the year, in different seasons.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Also, even if it goes to a Winter Blend, the A/F will just run a bit richer. It won't hurt performance.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

Get tuned on true E85 and you will be fine no matter the blend. A lower ethanol blend will halve you run rich and be safe.

You can test it before you fill up. Just rbi ng your tester and a small bottle or cue tp put some fuel in first to test. I've been doing just that.

speeddemon2000

Established Member
Get tuned on true E85 and you will be fine no matter the blend. A lower ethanol blend will halve you run rich and be safe.

You can test it before you fill up. Just rbi ng your tester and a small bottle or cue tp put some fuel in first to test. I've been doing just that.

If it's running rich could it cause the cylinder walls to wash down and cause an issue there?

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
If it's running rich could it cause the cylinder walls to wash down and cause issue there?

Not as I understand it. You are not getting the rich condition due to more fupr being dumped in, it's because of the change in the stoich of the lower blend vs the higher blend.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Not as I understand it. You are not getting the rich condition due to more fupr being dumped in, it's because of the change in the stoich of the lower blend vs the higher blend.
Correct. And the change is not significant enough to make anything like that happen.

Users who are viewing this thread