3" Bassani catback vs. 3" Mac catback

bbk03gt24

Established Member
i've been all over the damn place w/ what catback i want to go w/ since i got my cobra a few months back... my first choice was the Mac 3" catback, but then i began to hear about all of the fitment issues it had in addition to the fact that all of Mac's products are on backorder so I jumped to the SLP LM1's, but I quickly realized that they were just too loud and so then it was the Stingers, but i just couldn't get over how much i loved the way the Mac sounded so now i'm leaning towards the Bassani 3" catback, which IMO in the most similar to the Mac 3".

All that being said, is there a huge difference between the loudness of the Mac 3" and the Bassani 3"? I've heard/seen some vids of the Bassani 3" w/ O/R x pipes and they sound deep as hell @ low rpms and also really loud at higher rpms, which I love. i've also read tho that the Bassani is pretty quiet when compared to other exhausts. In the end, is there a big difference in sound between the Mac 3" & the Bassani 3"? If i pay $900 for a catback, it better be the best damn sounding exhaust ever, u know?

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I agree with the above, however IMO I think the MAC sounds better. I had one on my car but later sold it because the quality of it was garbage.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
does anybody have a sound clip or a video of the 3" bassani catback with a Catted X-pipe? This is really the set up that I am looking at going w/, but I can't freaking find a video clip of this exact set up so that i can hear it. I also pretty much figured that the Bassani would far exceed the Mac in quality... i just want to know whether the Bassani is as loud/deep as the Mac.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
does anybody have a sound clip or a video of the 3" bassani catback with a Catted X-pipe? This is really the set up that I am looking at going w/, but I can't freaking find a video clip of this exact set up so that i can hear it. I also pretty much figured that the Bassani would far exceed the Mac in quality... i just want to know whether the Bassani is as loud/deep as the Mac.

Unfortunately I can't even help when my car is together. For one it’s a turbo setup with a 3.5inch down pip and two, the 3 inch SRA kit is a race setup that has its own X pipe included that requires everything ahead of it to be custom made.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I ran a MAC 3" with a prochamber and MAC longtubes for about 7 years. Sounded great, fit great, performed great, but 25psi of boost, C16 an E85 took their took toll. I blew out all the baffles and pinholes rusted in the tailpipes where the condensation would puddle.

I now run a 3" Bassani with ARH longtubes and 3" mid and it sounds awesome and performs great. My only complaint is the bassani hangs a bit lower than the MAC did.

Here's the current combo.

Exhaust clip

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'm running (& loving) my 3" Bassani CB with a 2-1/2" O/R Bassani X Pipe (stock manifolds)...this is the best sound clip I have from the dyno (tailpipes covered-vented-see pic)...trust me, the Bassani sounds great!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisPxYcqO64"]‪POSI ported eaton..‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

3-8.jpg

5-5.jpg

Last edited:

va boy

Established Member
OP, I'm glad you started this thread. like you I have endlessly searched sound clips of Bassani vs. MAC. I am leaning towards Basssani, never really heard anything negative, craftsmanship is top notch.
BTW, Racerat, Tim, your cars sound great!

20redfire03

Established Member
I have a prochamber and a mac 3" catback, and it sounds good but id like it to be louder but that can be had my putting my offroad pipes on. But from looking up the info on my catback the only part i dont like is it isnt stainless but it does have the black coating mac used to offer. which also means i cant polish it

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
OP, I'm glad you started this thread. like you I have endlessly searched sound clips of Bassani vs. MAC. I am leaning towards Basssani, never really heard anything negative, craftsmanship is top notch.
BTW, Racerat, Tim, your cars sound great!
Thanks!!!! ...FYI: Bassani fit perfect & those 3" SS pipes look mighty good all polished up as well!! :banana:

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
I just got the 3" bassani because of the sound and the fitment of it. Im going to be replacing my 2.5 mac and prochamber with 2.5 bassani offroad X-pipe and 3" bassani and i can wait to hear it!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I like the sound of Bassani, but I had a 3" MAC catback on my car when I had my IRS. Let me tell you it was the BEST sounding exhaust I have EVER heard on any cobra. And I've seen alot. I switched to a 2.5 MAC when I went solid and it didn't sound nearly the same, my Magnaflow sounds good, but I miss that MAC.

The fitment wasn't to terrible honestly, it took alittle prying but once you get it set its not a issue after that. I had mine off and on probably 15 times with no issues what so ever.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
I ran a MAC 3" with a prochamber and MAC longtubes for about 7 years. Sounded great, fit great, performed great, but 25psi of boost, C16 an E85 took their took toll. I blew out all the baffles and pinholes rusted in the tailpipes where the condensation would puddle.

I now run a 3" Bassani with ARH longtubes and 3" mid and it sounds awesome and performs great. My only complaint is the bassani hangs a bit lower than the MAC did.

Here's the current combo.

Exhaust clip

hey man, are you running an O/R x pipe or is that a catted x pipe?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
There's a 3" MAC catback in my garage right now. Pulled it off a friend's car for a 2.5" Bassani catback. Everyone that's heard it so far agrees the Bassani sounds lightyears better.

As far as quality, Bassani wins hands down. Just looked at a brand new bassani 3" a week or so ago and the craftmanship is just as good as their 2.5".

stangaholic280

Established Member
Been waiting 2 months for my MAC 3" catback. I have the VRS o/r X sitting in my garage. You'll never be able to convince me that the bassani sounds better than this combo. I'll wait as long as it takes to sound this sick...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6mqJSXi2U"]‪2003 Cobra UPR X/MAC 3" Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB0cuYujW50&feature=related"]‪SuperCharged Mustang Cobra Donuts 517hp‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread