3.8 to 4.6/5.4 2V swap - parts list

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I have a 2002 Mustang 3.8 with the auto and I'm looking to swap to a 5.4 2V with an eaton on top (eventually). The first problem I'll run into is how hard is it going to be to turn the 3.8 into the V8. I'm lost with what all is required right now. Second, I'd like to keep the auto in for a little bit due to lack of funds after swapping everything else, will it bolt up?

So far I believe I'll need all wiring from a GT (what exactly is all of that)
5.4 shortblock
PI heads
Motor mounts
shorty headers (LT's will not fit)
4.6/5.4 adaptor plates to make GT intake and eventually SC to work.
MAF sensor (will 90MM lightning work? I dont want to swap later)

If any light could be shed it would be much appreciated.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
If I were you I would save up to have everything ready for the swap, the auto from the V6 will not bolt up since the bolt patter is different. As far as the 90mm it should work fine with the 5.4L.

You will need 4.6L radiator and all the radiator hoses, hydroboost brake system, coolant reservoir, 5 speed pedal assembly (if going manual), etc.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
It's a big swap.. especially if you haven't done one before.
You'll also need the dash cluster and harness. I'd do the rear axle as well. All the power in the world won't do you crap with a 7.5" open diff rear end.
You'll also want to address the front springs and struts. The stock V6 units won't like the weight of the 5.4L.

Are you looking specifically to have the 5.4L or are you going for a power goal?

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I liked the idea of the ridiculous amount of torque I would make with that setup. I would be very content with just the eaton on the 5.4. Reason I'm going 5.4 is price. I'm looking at about 3k for forged short block and then 600 for adaptor plates. As compared to the ridiculous amount of a 5.3 stroker.

Basically what I have is a v6 that is mechanically perfect that needs a paint job. So instead of trying to sell, I was planning on building.
Sounds like EVERYTHING on this car will have to swapped. But most of it could be pulled from a salvaged GT and built from there.
With that said, it might be easier to find a salvaged, running, 96-04 gt, and id be at a better starting point.

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
If you're looking to make tons of torque with the stock eaton on a 5.4L you will need to either send the eaton off to get a port job or upgrade to a whipple/kenne bell. The tiny eaton will run out of steam past 5000-5500 rpm because its not big enough to support the air needs of the 5.4 at that high of an rpm. Why not just forge a 4.6L and do a tork tech kit if you really want to run an eaton since it looks like you're going the 2V route.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Well why not go 5.4 instead of forging the bottom end? I'm not against moving past the eaton later down the road, but here and now. That's what I'm looking at.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
What kind of tq number starts to get into the "ridiculous" level?
Just wondering if it would be easier to squeeze it out of a simple swap like a 4.2L V6 with a blower.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Well the idea behind this swap isn't to just hit a certain number, I was trying to build something simple, cheap, and effective. A 5.4 is cheaper and more reliable than a bored and stroked block, and an eaton, or kenne bell/whipple, is going to be simpler than a custom turbo. That was the idea behind the swap. I forgot V6's came with diffferent rear ends, and now learning that I won't be able to use the auto puts this swap off for quite a bit. It would still be very possible if I could find a salvaged gt, or even just a new car period.

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
If I was going to do a swap I would start out looking around for a good 4v. If the funds were there I would even look into a good salvaged coyote engine. That way you start out with good HP numbers. That's my take on it anyway. To each his own .

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
If I was going to do a swap I would start out looking around for a good 4v. If the funds were there I would even look into a good salvaged coyote engine. That way you start out with good HP numbers. That's my take on it anyway. To each his own .

4v won't work with a 5.4 as easily. Plus id still have the same problems id run into with making a 2v work. The coyote brings on a shit ton of more problems.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
Honestly, if your car already needs a paint job, I would just look into buying a GT to replace it with. That way you wont have to worry about anything. If you still want the 5.4, buy a forged 5.4 shortblock and drop it into the GT using the stock PI heads. Done. No need to worry about the rear, finding another trans, wiring harness, radiator, etc. Seriously, I am all for projects (look at my sig), but you are talking about spending way too much money and time on something that could be very cheap any easy if planned out. If you want a 5.4 SOHC swap, well, honestly you can't make it easier than what I just explained, unless you bought a GT with a 5.4 already swapped.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Exactly why I posted the thread, I had no idea what I was getting into. Thanks for the info everyone. Ill definately consider my options.

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I believe Muscle Mustangs wrote an article on the 4.6 to 5.4 swap a few years ago, but I can't find the article. Anyway, here is a good thread to check out:
[ame=http://www.mustangmafia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16254]4.6 TO 5.4 SWAP - Mustang Mafia[/ame]

If you are planning on going with an eaton in the future though, the 5.4 is probably not the best option for you. I know you mentioned intake adapters, but from what I have read, adapters are not good to use with blowers. I do not have first hand experience with adapters, but that is what I have read.

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Your already going to have a shit ton of problems weather you realize it or not. Honestly ide prolly just sell it and find a gt to start out with.

Users who are viewing this thread