3.73 to 3.27 ring change only not pinion

Lou02stang

Established Member
I currently have 3.73 gears installed about a yr old, did all new bearings and seals. At the time I didn’t have my turbo kit installed. So now with my turbo setup I wanna change back to 3.27. Since both have 11 pinion teeth and the only difference being the amount of teeth in the ring gear, Could I just change the ring gear and leave the 3.73 pinion the same?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I currently have 3.73 gears installed about a yr old, did all new bearings and seals. At the time I didn’t have my turbo kit installed. So now with my turbo setup I wanna change back to 3.27. Since both have 11 pinion teeth and the only difference being the amount of teeth in the ring gear, Could I just change the ring gear and leave the 3.73 pinion the same?
I've never changed gears, but if I did I'd highly recommend changing them as a set. You have a year's worth of wear on your current gears, so they've had an opportunity to break in as a set with equal wear on both ring and pinion. You could change just the ring, but I'm guessing your gears may be prone to more noise at the very least. I'm sure guys have done it, but the gears come as a set......

52merc

Established Member
Ring and pinion gears are machined as sets and have the pinion setting dimension engraved on the end of the pinion. They should be kept together as sets. Also, I'm pretty sure that although the number of the teeth is the same, the actual thread profile is different.

Users who are viewing this thread