3:73 gears

BosettiStang

Established Member
I was wondering how hard it is to install new gears in my 98 GT. I was thinking of getting 3:73's but I just dont know what I am getting my self in to and how much it will cost, can I install them or should I have a shop do it? thanks for the help

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I'm not taking a chance, having a shop do mine...they were supposed to go in 3 different times now, once had to spend the money on something else, next time the UCA's went, now this, they were supposed to go in this weekend.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
It's doable..., but you need a couple specific tools and a helping hand is always nice. I helped my buddy do 'em in his '95 GT. He'd never done 'em before either, just got a shop manual and went off that.

It just depends on how knowledgeable you are and how much time you have and if you wanna buy the tools v.s. how much you could get 'em done for. One thing for sure... gear oil is the NASTIEST smelling crap! The smell sticks with you a coupld days.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
And then you remember that smell and you have flashbacks and once in a while you wake up in the middle of the night from the nightmare of it in a cold sweat and then.... lol, okay, maybe not quite that bad, but close. :D

Phillie16

Established Member
It all depends...It doesn't always smell all that bad. It depends wether you have posi additive. Now thats what makes it stink like sh!t. Normally it smells bad but its nothing compared to when you get it with that posi additive in it, and believe you me, it definaltey is a totally different stink. It's THE WORST!!! Enough to make you :xpl:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
The factory gear oil just wreaks, and the few times I've dealt with the replacement fluid, it was synthetic and I don't believe I needed the additive with it.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
My next door neighbor said he has a good friend that does gears all the time. So, hopefully I can get a good deal with him. He put gears in my neighbors awesome ($cherry$) '67 Camaro RS convertable. I'm still debating between 3.73 and 4.10 gears. I know a lot of folks who got 3.73's wish they would have gone with the 4.10's. It depends on if I get a company car or not whether I'll get the 4.10's I guess.

01blkL

Established Member
3.73 gears

I wouldn't go below 4.10 on mod motor. I have 4.10 in my 95 gt. Awsome feel.Don't forget the additive that you have to put in the rearend, that you can only get from Fords. You have to put this in your rearend or the clutches will go bad in you rearend.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Not sure if you need the additive if you use synthetic gear oil... I don't think I had to...
Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread