3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

MadScientist

will that work? Im hoping Ford will release a controller like they did for the coyote engines. I may have to put a coyote engine in my project. If so I will need to contact Ford to see if it will work on a Four wheel drive trans 6R80.

irbydon32

hey everyone im new here and i was looking at putting a eco 3.5 into my 99 v6 sn95 would it be worth doing i just inhearted it from my uncle in law and this is my first ford and i dont know enuff about them to know if its even worth doing thank you for your help

Ross Converse

Established Member
HI Ross

Can you detail any changes you had to make to install the transverse Mkz engine in a RWD application? I've got a 3.7L Cyclone engine that came out of a 2010 mazda 6 originally, my plan is to beef it up with crank and rods from a 3.5L ecoboost motor, convert it to direct injection with ecoboost heads and pump along with the turbochargers and install it in RWD configuration into a 2003 Lincoln LS that has the 3.0L v6 in it currently. If possible I'd like to replace the 5 speed auto transmission (5R55E) with a 6R80 if it will physically bolt on? I would appreciate some info on what to do for motor mounts to put this engine in longitudinally into the Lincoln ls.

Hi folks, wanted to give Eric Brooks at Brooks racing a well deserved recommendation for working with me to get the PATS turned off on my Lincoln MKZ 3.5 swap into the Volvo. The crazy trick that I came up with was to box up my ECU with my custom stand-alone harness and a power supply and an OBD2 plug with an on-off switch in cardboard box. I shipped this to Eric ( I called this Lincoln in a box) so he could plug into it and do his magic. He shipped me back my box right away, I transferred everything back on to the Volvo and it started right up! Thanks so much for your help Eric you're a very patient and easy guy to work with.
Ross
IMG_20170706_150004.jpg
IMG_20170706_150004.jpg IMG_20170706_150004.jpg

Massmike

Hi Walt, this is Ross Converse in Maine . I just signed up with this forum after reading all the great advice about doing swaps with the twin cam V6. I'm finishing up the process of putting a
09 MKZ 3.5 into a 1974 Volvo 164 rear wheel drive. I've adapted this engine up to the Ford AOD transmission successfully and would be glad to share details and pictures. It's been a very time-consuming project but I'm retired now and have a very patient customer from New York. The reason why I found your forum is because one of the last things I have to do is get the engine to start. I now have new hope I can do this with the stock PCM and modified harness and not have to go to megasquirt. For the last 30 years I've been putting 5.0 HO Mustang packages into rear wheel drive Volvos for a business . My company used to be Converse engineering.com
Thanks again, Ross

Hi Ross, if possible I'd love to see what you had to do to adapt the aod to the 3.7 pattern. I'd like to run an M50D-R2 behind one of these motors if possible. Same small block pattern as the aod, fixed bellhousing so I think it'll be similar to what you had to do. Before anyone says it, t45 or t56 is not an option as this setup will be 4 wheel drive. And no a divorced tcase isnt an option I want to entertain.

Last edited:

Ross Converse

Established Member
Thank you so much.
Hi Mike,
I've compiled an album with 44 pictures in my Google photos but I can't figure out how to post them on this forum. I can email them to you directly if you want.
Ross

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

RegularCab

Well I've stepped in it now...

Been reading and waiting and watching all of these forums but now it looks like this stuff has been figured out.

So I'm going to pick up an engine/harness/electronics package from Randy in Phoenix. He's pretty famous in EB circles due to his incredible work with early truck EB swaps. From what I can tell, if you've got these things you're good to go:

Engine/Trans
ECU
BCM
Dash harness
Fuel system harness
Engine harness

If all of this stuff came out of the same truck, its a matter of removing the parts of the harness you won't be using and you're good to go. Worrying about PATS is only an issue if you're pieceing things together.

Here's to hoping I'm understanding this right!

TOYJOETA

Is there any aftermarket or oem front sump oil pan that fits the 3.5 or 3.7. Really contemplating swapping a 3.7 into my cressida, but because of the front crossmember and steering rack, almost has to be a front sump pan.

Thanks
Joe

RegularCab

So I had it all lined up. Planned to go to meet up with F100TimeWarp and swap a 2.7 EB into my 2001 reg cab. We lifted the cab, yanked the 5.4 and placed the 2.7. It was all going so well.

Then I noticed a crack. There was an 8" long crack in the aluminum girdle that sits above the oil pan on the 2.7. Unreal. Had to reverse it all and put the 5.4 back in and the cab back on. The 2.7 fit so well. Trans crossmember bolts right up, motor mounts would need to be made but they were very close. Very close. So we undid what we did and drove the 01 back up onto the trailer 6 hours later (if that). Could cut down 30% on time now knowing all this. Dammit.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
So I had it all lined up. Planned to go to meet up with F100TimeWarp and swap a 2.7 EB into my 2001 reg cab. We lifted the cab, yanked the 5.4 and placed the 2.7. It was all going so well.

Then I noticed a crack. There was an 8" long crack in the aluminum girdle that sits above the oil pan on the 2.7. Unreal. Had to reverse it all and put the 5.4 back in and the cab back on. The 2.7 fit so well. Trans crossmember bolts right up, motor mounts would need to be made but they were very close. Very close. So we undid what we did and drove the 01 back up onto the trailer 6 hours later (if that). Could cut down 30% on time now knowing all this. Dammit.

So you still planning to put a 2.7L Ecoboost into your truck?

RegularCab

Hi Walt,

I'd definitely like to do it but I don't have a clear path forward. I'd like to buy my own lift and get my hands on the powertrain. It's hard for me to load it all up and drive clear to Phoenix. I'm also intimidated by the electronics part of the project.

Do you have any ideas?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
RegularCab,

You were so close!

My advise, if you really want a 2.7L Ecoboost with 6R80 and 4WD in your regular Cab 2001 F150, would be to go back to Phoenix and make a deal with F100TimeWarp to do the complete install including the electronics to make it run and drive correctly.

I have seen his work, and it is awesome quality, in fact he has done work for me on my 1956 F100 (Crown Vic front suspension install). And I don't anyone that knows more about these EcoBoost F150 systems.

If he would agree to do the install and do what it takes to make it run and drive correctly, you would be way way ahead of attempting that work yourself.

Walt

RegularCab

Well, I've done a few swaps and found them somewhat enjoyable. I'd like to have a project, too. I kind of see it as a way to improve skills.

I certainly appreciate the incredible skills Randy has developed over the years - he is capable of some amazing things in that garage. The issue is that with the time consuming nature of these things I would likely be better off buying a 2015 truck instead of swapping. I'm kind of on the fence about that anyways...but still have it in me to give it another try.

Randy said that when he did the earlier truck he just started unplugging things from the system to see when the truck would stop working. Apparently the system will still operate as a skeleton. My plan was to use the 15 cluster but not much else. No electric steering, no 2015 ABS.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
RegularCab,

Yeah the big functional issues with the reuse of the factory wiring are always PATS and cluster, followed by what to do for a fuel tank, pump and sender. There is a guy in Florida that can turn PATS off in the PCM.

You do not have to use electric steering, but if you want hydraulic then you need to figure out how to mount a PS pump onto the Eco. ABS delete is no problem, your existing 2001 system should still work if you keep your axles.

Good Luck!

Walt

RegularCab

Ya, the setup Randy has includes cluster and key, so PATS shouldnt be a problem. He's also got the tank and pump so thats good too. We even looked and found a spot to mount the PS pump out of the transit, didn't appear to be much of a challenge either.

Only apparent issue was the fitment of the steering shaft and the turbo wastegate, but it was slight and may have been mitigated by moving the motor an inch or two to the pass side or re-routing the shaft. Probably not a big deal but something to consider nevertheless.

I was somewhat concerned about the fitment of the '15 cluster into the dash of the '01, but when measured they are within a half inch of eachother so it looked hopeful.

After seeing how easy it was to lift the cab I'm inclined to make another trip out to see Randy and bring the parts back here and do the job. I've got a backhoe and can probably lift the cab with it. There really wasn't much to it. Just worried about internal damage to the engine and trans from the wreck. There was a significant sideways force placed on those two items - enough to crack the block stiffener where it attaches the motor to the trans. Maybe enough sideways flex at the flywheel to bend the crank or the input shaft to the trans? I do know Randy will take a good look and let me know and that will dictate the trajectory of this project.

Users who are viewing this thread