3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

wrinkols

Hi walt460,

Working on an ecoboost install in an Ultra4 type buggy. I already ordered the Ford Racing control pack (maybe a mistake?) but I'd like to maintain the 6R80. Do you have any experience with this? I believe I read on another thread that I could buy a programmer to modify a stock auto PCM. Do you think I could install an auto PCM and modify the programming to work? Any ideas? Should I see if I can cancel my Ford Racing order and just buy the BCM, PCM, and wiring I would need and just build the harness?

Any insight you have would be awesome! Thanks!

Edit: I bought an engine and trans from Ebay and it doesn't have any wiring or PCM/etc with it.

Last edited:

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Hi walt460,

Working on an ecoboost install in an Ultra4 type buggy. I already ordered the Ford Racing control pack (maybe a mistake?) but I'd like to maintain the 6R80. Do you have any experience with this? I believe I read on another thread that I could buy a programmer to modify a stock auto PCM. Do you think I could install an auto PCM and modify the programming to work? Any ideas? Should I see if I can cancel my Ford Racing order and just buy the BCM, PCM, and wiring I would need and just build the harness?

Any insight you have would be awesome! Thanks!

Edit: I bought an engine and trans from Ebay and it doesn't have any wiring or PCM/etc with it.

Wow, when you buy just the engine and trans, it makes things really difficult. First, what model year is the 3.5L EB F150 engine and trans?

I have never installed the Ford Performance Control Pak, so I am not sure what comes in the kit. I do know that you can now buy a stand-alone controller for the 6R80. So, using the Controls Pak and then a stand-alone trans controller is an option.

To convert back to factory-based wiring harnesses at this point is going to be a lot of work and expensive. I always tell people to buy a running, lot-driving, wreck or roll-over truck. That is the only way you know you are getting every part you need if you are going to do a production-based control system install. There are a LOT of misc parts that are need to make the Ecoboost run like it did in the truck. Even if some parts are damaged on your donor truck, at least you know what to get.

If your engine and trans are from a 2011-2014, I think the Ford Performance Control Pak and a stand-alone 6R80 controller are your best route at this point.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
"I do not think there are any significant changes in 2015 for the F150 3.5L Ecoboost. I will be doing the wiring on a 2015 install, so I will know more in the next couple weeks."

Well, I know now, and the 2015 trucks have a lot of changes, which makes it very very difficult to attempt using a 2015 engine unless you have all the related 2015 parts. PCM is different, Intake manifold is new, Injectors are a new design, Crankcase venting system is all-new design, cam sensors in back of head have moved and are different, turbo control system is new, and a ton of connectors are new, even at the BCM. PATS system is revised as well. (At this time, no one knows how to defeat PATS on the 2015-16 PCMs.) I do not think the Ford Performance 3.5L EB Controls PAK will work on a 2015-16 engine, but someone should check to confirm this.

All this is not good news, so for now, my advise is to stick to 2011-2014 3.5L EB F150 hardware if you want a proven-path to a successful swap.

wrinkols

Hi Walt460,

Thanks for the info. It's a 2013 F150 EB. It was sort of an impulse buy; as in I didn't do much research and it seemed like a really good deal at the time. I did shoot an email off to Performance Automatic about a controller. Looks like those will be available the first of April. Is there another one out there you're thinking of? I haven't found too much more info on stand alone 6R80 controllers in my searches. Personally I like the idea of having a stand alone trans controller so that if/when I switch trans in the future I won't have such a headache.

As for the Ford Racing kit, it comes with an airflow meter (not 100% which type), intake tract (minus intercooler), replacement harness, PCM... can't remember what else. Based on my research all I'll need is the intercooler and some plumbing, all of which I would need regardless.

70TorinoGuy

New to the SVT performance forum. Just wondering if there is anyone that has the knowledge of wiring up the 3.7L and 6R80 trans out of a wrecked 2012 mustang ? I think I will be buying a cheap complete running and lot drivable car to swap into my 1970 Torino soon. The Torino has a tired 302 and C4, column shift, no air conditioning... If my thinking is correct, I should be able to swap the majority of parts from the mustang into the Torino. This engine should fit in between the shock towers without trimming... but the 6R80 will definitely require the tunnel to be enlarged. I can do the metal work myself but I am a little concerned about getting this thing to run properly. Any thoughts or suggestions?

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
70TorinoGuy,

The 3.7L V6 with the 6R80 can be made to run in your 70 Torino, no problem, if you start with a running and lot-driving donor Muatang. 2011-2014 Mustangs have the PATS system based in the instrument cluster. I suggest that you have the PATS system turned "off" in the PCM and then you do not need to use the Mustang's cluster in your conversion. Also, please plan to use the Mustang's Fuel pump and Fuel Pump Driver module.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
70TorinoGuy,

Keep in-mind that you will need a power steering solution for your 70 Torino when you do the 3.7L swap as the 3.7Ls use electric power steering. I know you can get an aftermarket power steering pump set-up for the 5.0L Coyote, but none for the 3.7L that I have heard about to date.

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
I'm looking to do the same thing with a '65. Any pointers?

Its really a great swap! I have started on a 2nd one now. This time a 2015 3.5 Eco.

Its pretty much a bolt in as far as engine and transmission are concerned.
Really depends on what year 3.5 Eco you want to go with. Major differences from a 2011-14 vs '15 & Up.

Now that I have gotten the 2nd one running I can tell you exactly whats needed.

My entire build(s) are online. I also have a YouTube channel.

Much much easier today than it was even a month ago on the '15. 4yrs ago when I started first project it was actually quite difficult.
Now its about the same as any engine/trans swap. You can even keep your stock '65 steering and suspension until you want to upgrade. I will say at the minimum install disc brakes on the front.

Last edited:

Beaverman

walt450,

I,m doing something similar the other side of the pond. I have a 2012 3.7 v6 and MT82 going in a ford capri (believe you guys call them mercury capri). I have the complete engine and box,the entire wiring loom from original vehicle including fuseboard,instrument cluster,ECU,sterring column and ignition key.
1) How do you "turn off" the pats system.
2) Guess I need the original cars fuel pump and fuel pump driver module

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

teelta

walt450,

I have a 2011 Mustang 3.7L with 6r80 auto tranny. A performance shop out in Arizona beefed up internals and the tranny and added twin turbos. It was dyno-ed at 640HP. That performance shop is out of business. I do not have access to the original car. All I have is the complete engine and all accessories, tranny, PCM, engine and tranny harness, and all the turbo equipment. It is currently on an engine test stand I am building. I would like to be able to start it and run it before I put it in my 1969 Torino fastback. I found a guy who is able to turn off the PATS but he is asking for a complete list of all I want turned off or bypassed. So questions:

1. what all does he need to turn off or bypass?
2. what else do I need for this swap? (please indicate whether I can use used parts or need new)
3. is it possible for me to use this engine and transmission without the original donor vehicle?

I'm not sure what other questions to ask...but just need help with getting this engine and tranny useable for my Torino. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Trey
817-703-4720

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Trey,

I will give you a call today, but for quick answers here are my comments.
1. He needs to turn off PATS. Now if you delete the unneeded modules for ABS, Air Bags, etc. then he will need to turn off those fault codes so that when you access diag port you only see the relevant codes to real problems. i do not know who you have found to turn off PATS, but the only Guy I know that does it is Eric Brooks of BrooksSpeed.com

2. This depends on how you intend to use this powertrain. If the engine was done and tuned at one time, then be careful not to change any hardware (turbos, intake system, etc.) configurations when you install it in the Torino.

3. Yes, given that you have all the required wiring and modules. This is not an easy powertrain to swap into an older vehicle, but you do not need wheel sensors or most of the other junk in the donor car. I hope you have the fuel supply system that was used when the engne made 640HP as the stock pump would never support that level.

Will call soon.

Walt460

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
walt450,

I,m doing something similar the other side of the pond. I have a 2012 3.7 v6 and MT82 going in a ford capri (believe you guys call them mercury capri). I have the complete engine and box,the entire wiring loom from original vehicle including fuseboard,instrument cluster,ECU,sterring column and ignition key.
1) How do you "turn off" the pats system.
2) Guess I need the original cars fuel pump and fuel pump driver module

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Beaverman,
The only guy I know that can turn off PATS in a 2011-14 Mustang 3.7L PCM is Eric Brooks of Brroksspeed.com. Good that you have all those components, get a 2012 Ford Wiring Diagram manual and don't cut or modify any wiring until you are certain of what you are doing. Yes, using the factory 2012 Mustang fuel pump is the best plan, that lets the PCM control the pump via the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) which you may already have.
Walt

splatranger95

It most definitely is not compatible.

Also, Id like to ask walt why he believes that the FWD ecoboost 3.5 does not have the same bellhousing as the RWD version? It is the same as the 3.5/3.7 cyclone and so is the RWD, so why doesnt it have the same bellhousing pattern? Ive found him saying this on probably 10 forums and Id like to know why. Does he have a drawing or some proof of this?

chevyslayer310

Has any one used a 6.2 in a swap? I read somewhere that they have more potential the coyote 5.0? The 6.2 is even cheaper in price if you check out ebay! What are the difference in width between them?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread