3:55 or 4:10 with Kenne Bell supercharger

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I have a 1997 cobra with a KB supercharger on it and I recently purchased a 3:55 gear, but currently have a 4:10 gear. I just wanted to get some input on what you guys think would be better for the car. I feel that the 4:10 is too much gear for the KB and is holding it back some. Let me know what you guys think or how you feel about either or. Thanks.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
What kind of power do you make with 10 pds of boost? I'm only running 8 now but i was thinking about upping it a little bit. What was your quarter mile time?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
how do you feel they're holding it back?- I have a KB 2.1L now and still have the stock gears- but was thinking about going to 4:10 gears, as to your question about power- I layed down 440 on 9#

Toasty

Established Member
I have a 1997 cobra with a KB supercharger on it and I recently purchased a 3:55 gear, but currently have a 4:10 gear. I just wanted to get some input on what you guys think would be better for the car. I feel that the 4:10 is too much gear for the KB and is holding it back some. Let me know what you guys think or how you feel about either or. Thanks.

I'm running 3.73's and am happy.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Just food for thought...

Friend of mine had 4.10's in a Whipple'd Terminator that put over 600 to the tires. The vehicle ran in the mid 10's and he was able to cut 1.5x 60's lifting the left front tire :p

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Just food for thought...

Friend of mine had 4.10's in a Whipple'd Terminator that put over 600 to the tires. The vehicle ran in the mid 10's and he was able to cut 1.5x 60's lifting the left front tire :p

but what about on the street, and not talking aobut street racing, but not using a DR, how do you think 4:10 would react, cause my torque curve maxes at 2800rpm and then plateaus until 6500

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
how do you feel they're holding it back?- I have a KB 2.1L now and still have the stock gears- but was thinking about going to 4:10 gears, as to your question about power- I layed down 440 on 9#

Well one of my buddy's has an 03 cobra with the stock 3:55 gears in it and I've driven in his car multiple times and really liked the way it reacted. With my 4:10s I can cut the better 60ft, but I feel like there's no power range through 1st or 2nd gear and i felt with the 3:55 it might help it a little more through 1st and 2nd. BUT that's why I came on here to get some input on what everyone likes or dislikes.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I will go against the grain and say 3.55.
Mainly because it is a street car.
It will likely be more fun on a daily basis, regardless of the weather.
Imagine if you get caught in the rain with too much torque multiplication.
It is not because I doubt your driving ability, (even though I have no idea who you are)
but others around you in traffic.
Easier to maintain control. (I am old, so................)
Try it with the 4.10's first since they are already in there.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I'm going to split the middle and say sell your 4.10's and get 3.73's. That way you dont run out of gear too fast on high speed highway pulls and its a step up from 3.55's. One of my best friends has an 04 Cobra with a ported eaton making just under 500rwhp and has 3.73's. I've driven it a couple times and its a blast. The only other gear I would suggest would be 3.90's if someone made a decent set.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I will go against the grain and say 3.55.
Mainly because it is a street car.
It will likely be more fun on a daily basis, regardless of the weather.
Imagine if you get caught in the rain with too much torque multiplication.
It is not because I doubt your driving ability, (even though I have no idea who you are)
but others around you in traffic.
Easier to maintain control. (I am old, so................)
Try it with the 4.10's first since they are already in there.

Thanks for the response. I honestly don't really take the car out much when its raining it sits in the garage for the most part when the weathers not permitting since i have a DD, but yes makes since with what you are saying. I've had the 4:10s in the car for about 5 months and I'm just not a fan as of right now I would really like to get a little more trap speed than a better 60ft as well so that was another reason i thought the lower gear might help.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
I'm going to split the middle and say sell your 4.10's and get 3.73's. That way you dont run out of gear too fast on high speed highway pulls and its a step up from 3.55's. One of my best friends has an 04 Cobra with a ported eaton making just under 500rwhp and has 3.73's. I've driven it a couple times and its a blast. The only other gear I would suggest would be 3.90's if someone made a decent set.

I thought about that as well but the 3:55 and the 3:73 are so close I don't know if it would even be worth getting them for since i already have a set of 3:55s:shrug:. Makes most since to go in between the 2 gears though.

jimmeehboi

VNMIZED
Established Member
Btw 97desertcobra how do you like your procharger? I've thought about trying to trade my 1.5 KB for a procharger or vortech something along those lines, but I haven't decided on that yet either lol.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
With the instant power/tq that a KB car has, I don't think you need that much gear :shrug:
I put 3.27's in my car :-D

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread