3.55 or 3.73

paulyboy928

Established Member
Alright fellas,

So the time has come for a rear end rebuild. My car currently has 101k miles on the stock 3.73 rear end.... It leaks, whines like a bitch, and makes all sorts of noises.

Basically, I'm trying to decide of I should put another set of 3.73s in or switch it to 3.55s. My car is FBO street car/weekend toy/daily driver. It cover's all of the bases.

In more detail my mods are ported boss IM, intake, headers, tune, clutch/flywheel, ds, and all of the suspension goodies.

Would the 3.55s be worth the switch?

basspro302

Established Member
If you ever consider a powet adder 3:31 are ideal. Other wise 373 for na or 4:10 depending on tire size and 3.55 would be a goof compromise for na/boost

railroad

Established Member
With a manual trans, I would stay with the 3.73 ratio.
I put them in my GT500 and do not regret it in any way. The car is a crusier, up for a street match.

paulyboy928

Established Member
The only thing I'm worried about are the 3.73s whining again... They've literally whined since i got the car and that was at 37k miles. I've heard people going through 3 different sets and they still whine. On the other hand, I've heard a fresh set fixes it.

Boost is not in the near future, but not out of the equation. I just love having a basic fbo that's fun to drive.

basspro302

Established Member
With a manual trans, I would stay with the 3.73 ratio.
I put them in my GT500 and do not regret it in any way. The car is a crusier, up for a street match.

Gt500 has way different gears in the trans than the mt82.

I have 3.31s had them na with a 28” tall tire if i had to do na again I would still get the 3.31. Thats my opinion tho. A 3.55 would be a good compromise. If you are interested i have a Detroit trutrac that im about to sell

Users who are viewing this thread