3.4 Whipple Here! Questions...

serper3

Established Member
Slowly but surely, I am getting closer to getting the setup i have been planning on. couple months ago, put the rxt with the 26 spline in (and some other goodies),
on monday recieved my 3.4 in the mail!! :banana:
i picked up up for a great price for a member on here..:rockon:
so i am definately very excited to get this under way. i have a couple questions however.
first off, the pulley on the blower currently, is a 3.2. the person had headers and saw 25 psi. i do not have headers so for me this boost level would be too much. i really would not like to run k spacers since i dont want to deal with all the complications of alignment, etc. from what i have read, the smallest pulley i can go with up top is the 3.5. i also would prefer to keep stock lower. i have read that people need manual tensioners, crank issues etc. anyway, with the stock short block (for now) would 25 psi with the stock lower, 3.5 upper be okay? if i run less timing? i am not looking to make the absolute most amount of power since this is mostly a fun street/weekend car it wont see a whole lot of drag, (strip is 2 hrs away) i know there is some danger in this, running this much boost, but, is this like a ticking time bomb that can tick for a while lol? or is this a grenade with the pin pulled out? i also want to keep the stock hood btw..
also, i am going to be purchasing fuel stuff shortly. i want to keep enough room to grow, for when the motor gets built eventually, yet i dont want to spend excess monies.
i am looking at the dual pump return system from lethal. either the 340 strykers, or the 400 lph that they said you can already get. i was also recommended with getting 105 lb injectors? but the 80's can go as high as 850ish? with higher base pressure?
also the maf, ba3000 is what i was told to go with, pretty reasonable? anything else i should be thinking about? in the next couple days, i also will pick up a h/e, wideband, boost gauge.
anyone have a 3.5" they no longer need? lol
thanks guys i love this forum, i dont post too often but lurk all the time!

serper3

Established Member
looking here:
Whipple Industries
it actually shows stock lower and 3.5 upper making 23 lbs of boost... is this true?
in that case, i think this would probably be perfect? e85, stock lower, 3.5 upper for 23 lbs?
DTUB, I am totally interested i just want a little more confirmation that this is the right pulley for me! i will most likely pick it up very soon though! will pm you.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Slowly but surely, I am getting closer to getting the setup i have been planning on. couple months ago, put the rxt with the 26 spline in (and some other goodies),
on monday recieved my 3.4 in the mail!! :banana:
i picked up up for a great price for a member on here..:rockon:
so i am definately very excited to get this under way. i have a couple questions however.
first off, the pulley on the blower currently, is a 3.2. the person had headers and saw 25 psi. i do not have headers so for me this boost level would be too much. i really would not like to run k spacers since i dont want to deal with all the complications of alignment, etc. from what i have read, the smallest pulley i can go with up top is the 3.5. i also would prefer to keep stock lower. i have read that people need manual tensioners, crank issues etc. anyway, with the stock short block (for now) would 25 psi with the stock lower, 3.5 upper be okay? if i run less timing? i am not looking to make the absolute most amount of power since this is mostly a fun street/weekend car it wont see a whole lot of drag, (strip is 2 hrs away) i know there is some danger in this, running this much boost, but, is this like a ticking time bomb that can tick for a while lol? or is this a grenade with the pin pulled out? i also want to keep the stock hood btw..
also, i am going to be purchasing fuel stuff shortly. i want to keep enough room to grow, for when the motor gets built eventually, yet i dont want to spend excess monies.
i am looking at the dual pump return system from lethal. either the 340 strykers, or the 400 lph that they said you can already get. i was also recommended with getting 105 lb injectors? but the 80's can go as high as 850ish? with higher base pressure?
also the maf, ba3000 is what i was told to go with, pretty reasonable? anything else i should be thinking about? in the next couple days, i also will pick up a h/e, wideband, boost gauge.
anyone have a 3.5" they no longer need? lol
thanks guys i love this forum, i dont post too often but lurk all the time!

Sounds like a great project you have coming together.

In regards to the injectors the 80's really start to max out around the 700rwhp range on E85. Yes you can probably push harder with higher base pressure but how much more than that I don't know. You'd definitely benefit from a larger injector such as the 105's. They will support around the 950-1000rwhp range on E85.

As far as the pumps go the hats which house the new 400lph pumps aren't quite ready yet. We're hoping to have them soon however at this time they aren't in stock.

I can give you a better update about the new hat on Friday after I meet with the DX production manager.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanks, Jared

serper3

Established Member
Sounds like a great project you have coming together.

In regards to the injectors the 80's really start to max out around the 700rwhp range on E85. Yes you can probably push harder with higher base pressure but how much more than that I don't know. You'd definitely benefit from a larger injector such as the 105's. They will support around the 950-1000rwhp range on E85.

As far as the pumps go the hats which house the new 400lph pumps aren't quite ready yet. We're hoping to have them soon however at this time they aren't in stock.

I can give you a better update about the new hat on Friday after I meet with the DX production manager.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanks, Jared

Thanks! hopefully by the time i am ready to pull the trigger on the fuel stuff, you guys will have the new hats.

Can anyone confirm that the stock lower 3.5" upper will be 23ish psi? as per the whipple site.

emerica4601

KCCO!
Established Member
3.5 with a stock lower and stock exhaust manifolds yields 23-25psi.

above statement about the injectors are correct. 25psi on e85 you'll need 105's .. and that'll yield a smidge over 800rwhp.

take your time, and do it all right. don't rush it. make sure you're fuel system is capable of supporting more than what you say you want, because theres never a 'stopping' point wtih horsepower.

serper3

Established Member
3.5 with a stock lower and stock exhaust manifolds yields 23-25psi.

above statement about the injectors are correct. 25psi on e85 you'll need 105's .. and that'll yield a smidge over 800rwhp.

take your time, and do it all right. don't rush it. make sure you're fuel system is capable of supporting more than what you say you want, because theres never a 'stopping' point wtih horsepower.

yea, i am going to build the motor eventually and i dont want to do things twice so i should definitely go with the 105s.
unfortunately, i am forced to take my time due to money constraints lol. i just want to make sure that my install will go smoothly, i wont need additional parts etc.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
yea, i am going to build the motor eventually and i dont want to do things twice so i should definitely go with the 105s.
unfortunately, i am forced to take my time due to money constraints lol. i just want to make sure that my install will go smoothly, i wont need additional parts etc.
I have a 3.4 Whipple and my fuel system consist of (2) 340LPH pumps -8an feed -6 return and 80lb. injectors and I was not close to maxing out on E85.

Fuel was around 70% DC at 45-50psi and made 680rwhp 680rwtq on a 110 degree weather in July (Dallas, TX) Also 28'' tall tires.

serper3

Established Member
I have a 3.4 Whipple and my fuel system consist of (2) 340LPH pumps -8an feed -6 return and 80lb. injectors and I was not close to maxing out on E85.

Fuel was around 70% DC at 45-50psi and made 680rwhp 680rwtq on a 110 degree weather in July (Dallas, TX) Also 28'' tall tires.

so you are running 22-23 psi on e85, according to the other thread, stock headers? stock lower? 3.5 upper?

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
so you are running 22-23 psi on e85, according to the other thread, stock headers? stock lower? 3.5 upper?
more like 23lbs, 1 5/8 inch BBK LT, Catless 2 1/2" Xpipes through Magnaflow mufflers, 3.5 upper and stock lower. Numbers probally didn't break 700hp due to 110 degree weather and 28'' tall tires

serper3

Established Member
i am really wondering how much boost my car will make, since its stock short block, not trying to make too much boost, but too big of a pain dealing with k spacers or aftermarket crank pulley. i have a upr x mid with cats, and the stingers :rockon: should be a bit less just because of that, we will see...

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Just chiming on on this .. i was just up at my tuner, i tested the "DEATSCHWERKS" 105 lb fuel injectors

These DO NOT WORK! they do not have the programing data and information needed for them to work. (Just in case anyone was wondering) A bit of wasted travel from Connecticut to NH and a bunch of cash out the window on fuel and dyno time LOL but in the end this is how we learn the do's and dont's

In the interim just buy the RIGHT injectors and the RIGHT fuel pumps etc. from the start.

SO anyone making the switch to E-85 and looking to go OVER 750 RWP you NEED the 105's 80's WILL work but up to around 750 rwhp MAX, I think I might have reached 758 but I'm not 100% sure so I do not want to speak out unless I am 100% sure however I did make 732 RWHP,..

I pulled a 732 RWHP and 721 RW Torque Slipping n sliding in with 14 LBS on a procharger F1-A (wrong size belt)

(eliminate the belt slip, and add the correct injectors and I am confident that im up well over 800 rwhp)

(boss big bore .020 over,bullet racing cams, fully ported heads, 3 inch full exhaust, 10% overdrive, 3.40 procharger pulley 8 Rib)

I'll be going back with the bosch 105lb injectors as soon as they come in.... I will post my results.

Chiflikalotapus

Whippled
Established Member

Would the 3.5 pulley work with regular pump gas. I just got thru installing my 3.4 whip with crusher. My fuel set up consists of aeromotive A1000 pump,fore fuel rails, 80lb seiman deka injectors, earls crabon lines -10 feed -8 return. I haven't gotten my car tuned. I'm just wondering if this set up is ok for pump gas due to the amount of boost I'll be getting from my whipple. Or what else do I need from my fuel system to get E-85 ready?

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
Just chiming on on this .. i was just up at my tuner, i tested the "DEATSCHWERKS" 105 lb fuel injectors

These DO NOT WORK! they do not have the programing data and information needed for them to work. (Just in case anyone was wondering) A bit of wasted travel from Connecticut to NH and a bunch of cash out the window on fuel and dyno time LOL but in the end this is how we learn the do's and dont's

In the interim just buy the RIGHT injectors and the RIGHT fuel pumps etc. from the start.

SO anyone making the switch to E-85 and looking to go OVER 750 RWP you NEED the 105's 80's WILL work but up to around 750 rwhp MAX, I think I might have reached 758 but I'm not 100% sure so I do not want to speak out unless I am 100% sure however I did make 732 RWHP,..

I pulled a 732 RWHP and 721 RW Torque Slipping n sliding in with 14 LBS on a procharger F1-A (wrong size belt)

(eliminate the belt slip, and add the correct injectors and I am confident that im up well over 800 rwhp)

(boss big bore .020 over,bullet racing cams, fully ported heads, 3 inch full exhaust, 10% overdrive, 3.40 procharger pulley 8 Rib)

I'll be going back with the bosch 105lb injectors as soon as they come in.... I will post my results.

awww shit that is what I have in my car I was hoping to start it up on monday. my tuner never siad anything about it in the a mail order. I will try and see.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
Would the 3.5 pulley work with regular pump gas. I just got thru installing my 3.4 whip with crusher. My fuel set up consists of aeromotive A1000 pump,fore fuel rails, 80lb seiman deka injectors, earls crabon lines -10 feed -8 return. I haven't gotten my car tuned. I'm just wondering if this set up is ok for pump gas due to the amount of boost I'll be getting from my whipple. Or what else do I need from my fuel system to get E-85 ready?
You will probally blow your engine on pump gas running 93 octane and 23-25lbs of boost. I would either run E85 or c16 at this boost level. I run a 4'' upper on my 3.4 whipple making around 19-20lbs on 93 octane and torco or lucas octane booster. I think with these cars no matter where the boost is one should have some kind of octane booster or high octane fuel in these cars for safety.

As for your fuel system, on E85 I think your pump will be the downfall. You would need at the minium (2) 340lph pumps or a triple pump setup, or wait on Lethals 400lph pumps. My injectors wasnt maxed out on my dyno runs and my car made close to 700rwhp in 110 degree heat on 28 inch tires. I also still have the stick intake tube, MAF with the Mafia set on 2.

serper3

Established Member
You will probally blow your engine on pump gas running 93 octane and 23-25lbs of boost. I would either run E85 or c16 at this boost level. I run a 4'' upper on my 3.4 whipple making around 19-20lbs on 93 octane and torco or lucas octane booster. I think with these cars no matter where the boost is one should have some kind of octane booster or high octane fuel in these cars for safety.

As for your fuel system, on E85 I think your pump will be the downfall. You would need at the minium (2) 340lph pumps or a triple pump setup, or wait on Lethals 400lph pumps. My injectors wasnt maxed out on my dyno runs and my car made close to 700rwhp in 110 degree heat on 28 inch tires. I also still have the stick intake tube, MAF with the Mafia set on 2.

the person i bought my blower from, was running about 23-25 psi on 93, with long tubes and a stock short block. the reason he ended up selling the blower was because he was scared to drive it and didnt want to spend more money on the fuel system.
he said he had his tuner make it super rich, back the timing up like crazy, and thats how he ran it for 500 miles or so, but these were mostly babied miles because he was scared to blow the motor.
basically as alpha said, with these cars, boost/power level requires higher octane. with the 3.4, you would be best at 19-21 on 93, from what i have read, but i dont even have 93 around here so i wouldnt really know lol... I definately wouldnt do it though.. shoot, i even considered running 21-23 on e85 just to keep it safe. it will make plenty of power and hopefully i can spend some money and time in other areas of the car for better traction etc before the motor blows lol..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread