3.2 Mammoth "All the Boost" E85 Build

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Is red loctite enough? Did you have red loctite on the set screws on our engine? I used LOCTITE 609 Retaining Compound that came with the kit. If red loctite isn't enough with this old style gears I might need to come up with something else.
I did not have red loctite and the adjustment moved and bent all my valves. I would prefer to see you use the new style Comp gears or find some used Cloyes. You have so much money dumped into the engine, I'd hate to see something happen. Even with red loctite, there is still danger because those set screws just have minimal tensile strength.

I have had a order in for the new style gears since october 2019, still on national back order...
The new style gears appear to be available. They show in stock at Summit and shipping today. I know it would be a major pain to degree the cams again, but these are just a better design because the cam bolt actually holds the adjustment in place, not those little set screws.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-10254

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have had a order in for the new style gears since october 2019, still on national back order...
Interesting. I ordered from lethal in february and they were able to get mine quickly. I'm pretty sure I got the new style as they are definetly different then what is in the pic above. Maybe try them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lucheski

Established Member
I did not have red loctite and the adjustment moved and bent all my valves. I would prefer to see you use the new style Comp gears or find some used Cloyes. You have so much money dumped into the engine, I'd hate to see something happen. Even with red loctite, there is still danger because those set screws just have minimal tensile strength.

The new style gears appear to be available. They show in stock at Summit and shipping today. I know it would be a major pain to degree the cams again, but these are just a better design because the cam bolt actually holds the adjustment in place, not those little set screws.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-10254

Ordered the gears, Thanks for the heads up, I don't want to risk it

lucheski

Established Member
Are your crank gears adjustable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Short Answer: No
Long Answer: I bought some Trickflow Adjustable crank gears which are 2 pieces, but after reading about tendency of the older 2 piece OEM gears tendency to shear off the woodruff crank key, I decided to switch back to OEM 1 piece crank gear

Those are the old style gears and are very problem prone. Make sure to red loctite all the little bolts that hold the degree setting in place. I get worried any time I see someone running these gears, they have destroyed many engines, including mine way back in the day.

Today I called Mike @ LMEngines.com : He said that even with Red Loctite the set screws on the older-style Red Comp Adjustable Cam gears will back out and he'd seen a number of failures due to this. He said Comp Cam's new designed Black gears don't have this issue and is what he uses.

cj428mach

Established Member
If your cams are set right can you just drill the gear and install a roll pin or something to prevent movement? Or tack weld them.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Short Answer: No
Long Answer: I bought some Trickflow Adjustable crank gears which are 2 pieces, but after reading about tendency of the older 2 piece OEM gears tendency to shear off the woodruff crank key, I decided to switch back to OEM 1 piece crank gear

Today I called Mike @ LMEngines.com : He said that even with Red Loctite the set screws on the older-style Red Comp Adjustable Cam gears will back out and he'd seen a number of failures due to this. He said Comp Cam's new designed Black gears don't have this issue and is what he uses.

I’m in the same boat as you and I will be degreeing a 4V in the very near future. I don’t want to let a minuscule part destroy my built engine and I would rather spend a little now vs spend a shit ton more later. When I ordered my cams, I was linked to the trickflow adjustable crank gears. I also read bad about them as well but their really wasn’t many options at the time. I read the red gears sucked so I stayed away from those. Now I see theirs the new updated black gears so I might pull the trigger on those as well and go back to a oem solid piece as well. I splurged a little a ordered the billet L&M adjustable intake gears. Saw a post somewhere outside of here where a stout NA mach shattered a primary cam gear and wiped out the motor. Scared me into spending $400 on adjustable billet ones.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I’m in the same boat as you and I will be degreeing a 4V in the very near future. I don’t want to let a minuscule part destroy my built engine and I would rather spend a little now vs spend a shit ton more later. When I ordered my cams, I was linked to the trickflow adjustable crank gears. I also read bad about them as well but their really wasn’t many options at the time. I read the red gears sucked so I stayed away from those. Now I see theirs the new updated black gears so I might pull the trigger on those as well and go back to a oem solid piece as well. I splurged a little a ordered the billet L&M adjustable intake gears. Saw a post somewhere outside of here where a stout NA mach shattered a primary cam gear and wiped out the motor. Scared me into spending $400 on adjustable billet ones.

If I couldn't get a hold of the comp adjustable primaries I would just file the stock gears and use feeler gauge stock to make the adjustments.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lucheski

Established Member
ended up having to reuse the stock trigger wheel, the billet one was too thick

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.05.08 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread