2v to 4v Cobra Swap

semperfimrn1

Established Member
ok the motor on my gt started knocking so im going to need a new motor soon.

im contemplating on either putting a brand new gt 2v engine in it or doing the cobra swap. car and tranny that i have has 103k miles.

im talking to somebody who is selling a motor with the following specs
2004 cobra motor
22k miles
put down 510 rwhp and best numbers of 11.40ET on the automatic swapped 04 cobra, ( cobra was totaled in a street race)

ported blower by strictly performance( stage IV)
lower ported
Richard racing 2.80 blower pulley
BBK long tube headersa
bbk off road xpipe
steeda timing adjuster
complete motor with everything (AC,PS,alternator,smog,ect)

i wanna know how easy and also what else im going to need to make this a good swap over???

will i be running into an issues down the road?? the car will be my DD so should i stay away from something like this??
what other parts will i be needing?

please anybody who has done this or any input im listening
tried searching but didnt have any luck.:shrug:

talking with my mechanic he said that it would prob be more trouble then what its worth, with the wiring, hassles that i could come across later down the road. it not making a good DD.

help my out SVTP!!

Last edited:

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Its actually pretty easy. mine is a 04 gt 4 valve swap. you can use the gt computer and harness. you have to split part of the harness and lenghten it. tranny bolts up,motor mounts are the same. exhaust is the same IF you have the cobra manifolds. if not only minor exhuast work. a few coolant hoses are cobra spacific. you will need a differant hood. either cowl or 03 cobra. you will need a 4 valve swap tune. and 03 cobra fuel pump assembly...

it is about 90% bolt right in..

semperfimrn1

Established Member
ok with that being said how will it work for a DD? what other parts am i going to need and do you have any complications with yours??

4valvemach

Established Member
Just a idea but why not buy a stroker short block get upgraded 2v heads add a kenne bell and be done.:shrug:

Why get a motor that has 22k on it already and has been raced alot too.How much are you getting it for and what would it coast to build up a 2v.You want a DD not a race car right!!!!! ;-)

blackgt96

SVT Fan
Established Member
how hard would a 2v to 4v swap be with an 01 4v and a 96 2v?

i know there are more things digital and what not.

blk00gtvert

Established Member
how hard would a 2v to 4v swap be with an 01 4v and a 96 2v?

i know there are more things digital and what not.

just as easy but you will need to get a set of valve covers off or a 96-98 cobra or a mark VIII. and convert it to plug wires and use the gt wire harness and coil packs. you will need to lengthen the iac harness and a few other little things but direct bolt it

yzracer931

Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread however I am in the process of doing the 4v swap in an 01 saleen. I am having a slight issue with the powersteering pump bolting to the head. Is there a spacer or something else that helps with this problem? I have aviator 4v heads and a mach 1 front cover. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Thirdstang

Established Member
fuel rail issue

how do you resolve the return fuel line in the 96-98 cobras when swapping a 2001+ engine into a 96-98 car as the 01 engine has no return line on the fuel rails, do you swap over the 96-98 fuel rails onto the 01 engine ?

Last edited:

Thirdstang

Established Member
just as easy but you will need to get a set of valve covers off or a 96-98 cobra or a mark VIII. and convert it to plug wires and use the gt wire harness and coil packs. you will need to lengthen the iac harness and a few other little things but direct bolt it

there is a member on here who makes a c.o.p. conversion harness adapter, it plugs into the wires that plug into your coil paks then connects to each c.o.p. lets you keep your c.o.p. setup when swaping a 99+ engine into 96-98 car.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
haha, you have to get very creative. the 96-98 cobra's had a return system as well. so, you can either run a return line to your tank which would probably be a huge pain, or you can afro engineer the cobra or Mark VIII fuel rail to work or you can pick up a Mach1 fuel rail (I think the 99/01 cobra rails may be the same but cant confirm this) and then move the little port for the fuel pressure sensor on the rail down a little bit so it doesnt sit right under the IAC inlet on the Cobra intake manifold.

Thirdstang

Established Member
haha, you have to get very creative. the 96-98 cobra's had a return system as well. so, you can either run a return line to your tank which would probably be a huge pain, or you can afro engineer the cobra or Mark VIII fuel rail to work or you can pick up a Mach1 fuel rail (I think the 99/01 cobra rails may be the same but cant confirm this) and then move the little port for the fuel pressure sensor on the rail down a little bit so it doesnt sit right under the IAC inlet on the Cobra intake manifold.

someone was saying you can fit the 96-98 fuel rail onto the 2001 cobra manifold with a little bending of the clips, i was hoping to here from someone who had done it already to see what works best

SonicBlueGT03

Established Member
i actually fell into a deal where i found a guy who is selling a '03 long block, ready to go , never ran , 0 miles on it. w/o super charger. so i would have to pick that up as well as the fuel necessities. and either a different set of longtubes or sell longtubes and go stock manifolds and get a new/used midpipe (most likley bassani). So I am too curious to how much work i am getting myself into, than get the s/c and intake assembly and go from there...

Brian Yates

Bumping this thread. Lol. So I'm doing a swap into my 02 GT. I'm stuck at the best part....wiring. I've got the 2 valve harness and a harness from the cobra motor. I'm totally not savvy with cutting and splicing wires. Though rewiring a car for plug and play seems like a pain too. Any places sell a harness for this swap?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
The coil wires need to be lengthened and wires reversed.

Change your IAT to an IAT2 and lengthen the wires.

Lengthen your alternator wires

Wire the IC pump.

There are lots of write ups

just use but splices and heat shrink. Its soooooo easy

Users who are viewing this thread