2nd Flight with the DJI Phantom

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Beginning to get used to this thing. I love it. Can't wait to get better and get better video. Watch it in HD!

[youtube_browser]K37piAXQ6eY[/youtube_browser]

RichM1983

Established Member
I missed your first thread. Lets see pics of this neat little gadget. I love this sort of thing.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I didn't post the first flight. It was a trial run. haha

Here is a photo. Basic DJI phantom. Only upgrades I got were the balanced motors and carbon fiber props. Supposed to produce less vibration and makes it a little more quick and responsive.

11616807366_56c400ce07_b.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
Pretty darn stable for only a second flight. Have you flown RC copters or Quads before?

What version of the DJI did you get? I have seen some that even include the FPV video gear and full GPS stability including heading lock.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Just the Phantom 1. It is a very upgradable platform. I'm sure I'll do some in the future but I got it mainly for fun at autox events and vacations. They are on sale for a pretty reasonable price. In GPS mode it will hover in the spot where you put it in GPS mode only problem with that is for video it makes it really shaky because it's always correcting itself. The coolest thing about it is the "return home" feature. If it looses signal it'll fly itself back to where you turned it on. Also has a gyro and compass on it so if you run it into anything it'll upright itself.

I've flown a couple R/C helicopters but nothing crazy. It's fairly easy to fly if you have the basics down. Left joystick is throttle and rotation. Right is direction. I've had a couple close calls but was able to correct it. I don't think I breathe when I have it in the air. lol

Z06

Established Member
Again, that is pretty fricking sweet. What's the price on one of those? How high do they go?

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I'm jealous. That's the one thing I want bad but they cost as much as the quad does. It says 400 ft max but people have had them well over 1k ft. Which is illegal.

I got mine for 460 off amazon. Bought a couple higher capacity batteries, the props and motors and spent right at 600. Not bad for all the tech in it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
The phantom is a really cool copter. I wanted one but figured that I would not use it near enough to enjoy it. Be careful with GPS "return home" mode, as I have read a few stories where it didn't work and they just went bye bye.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Enemy UAV spotted LOL

Haha the first thing my brother did is act like he had a bazooka and go beep....beep..beep..beepbeepbeepbeepbeep

The phantom is a really cool copter. I wanted one but figured that I would not use it near enough to enjoy it. Be careful with GPS "return home" mode, as I have read a few stories where it didn't work and they just went bye bye.

Yeah I'm not planning on trying it out anytime soon. Main thing I've seen is to stay away from large power lines and make sure you're connected to a few satellites before taking off. I'll be taking it very carefully for a little while. It's an expansive wreck. I also put a 'please return to' sticker on it. Haha.

BigDan

Established Member
Nice.

I have power lines that zig zag all over my area and a tall pine tree canopy. I didn't see any power lines in your whole neighborhood....lucky

Granelli31

Established Member
Hey I have one of those!

[youtube_browser]j2ANbnrJ__c[/youtube_browser]

BTW, don't but a Zenmuse gimbal, get the Tarot T2d for $140. It's just as good if not better.

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I'm jealous. That's the one thing I want bad but they cost as much as the quad does. It says 400 ft max but people have had them well over 1k ft. Which is illegal.

I got mine for 460 off amazon. Bought a couple higher capacity batteries, the props and motors and spent right at 600. Not bad for all the tech in it.

I have one also and they sure are fun to fly. As far as the 400 ft thing goes, I believe that's a recommendation and not actually a law. But, if you are within 7 miles of an airport it becomes a serious safety hazard in flight paths.
I just updated my firmware the other day and was able to fly over 1k ft away (300 ft up) and still had FPV control. I let my son fly it and instead of going forward he went up and before I realized it he had it up over 700ft. I brought it down really quick. Check around, if your controller is like mine there's a gain adjustment on the underside. Mine came in Euro mode and switching it to FCC mode gets greater distance capability.:beer:

OnceStruck

Established Member
Here's a picture of my custom batwing v-tail quad I just finished up. Absolutely love flying this thing, and now that I'm pretty decent at it I'm gonna set it up for some FPV flying.

u1sg.jpg

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Didn't want to show the crash landing? LOL.

J/K

Looks like fun Josh. Should make for some good car videos. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread