2nd and 3rd gen Raptor owners,.....come on in

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
How has your experience been with your 2nd or 3rd generation Raptors?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MG0h3

Established Member
I went out with my buddy who owns a Gen1 and 5 other guys with Gen3s.

After watching them launch them off sand dunes for a few hours, I suggest not buying a used one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Something wrong with the Ram?

Pick your poison.
Yeah,....I'm not too happy with it.
I have issues with it, but nothing that affects driving it. Just different things. The more I clean it and go through it, the more I am finding things wrong with it.
My first Ram was such a great truck. I miss it, but this one is a lot nicer and has more creature comforts.
If I can get a good trade-in value, I'll trade it in. If not, I'll just keep it.

I emailed a local Ford dealership earlier today. They said 20K ADM on the Raptors. I literally got pissed off and told them I'm all set. Hard pass. lol
That's ridiculous.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Subd. Currently cross shopping Raptor and Tundra TRD Pro.

Recon

Established Member
Yeah,....I'm not too happy with it.
I have issues with it, but nothing that affects driving it. Just different things. The more I clean it and go through it, the more I am finding things wrong with it.
My first Ram was such a great truck. I miss it, but this one is a lot nicer and has more creature comforts.
If I can get a good trade-in value, I'll trade it in. If not, I'll just keep it.

I emailed a local Ford dealership earlier today. They said 20K ADM on the Raptors. I literally got pissed off and told them I'm all set. Hard pass. lol
That's ridiculous.

That’s disappointing to hear. Hope you find a good deal for a raptor.

Pick your poison.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s disappointing to hear. Hope you find a good deal for a raptor.

Pick your poison.
Thanks brother, I appreciate it.
Not looking at a Raptor specifically. Looking at a bunch of different options.

*****I sent you a pm.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Have had my 19 Gen2 since January of 2020 and aside from all my trips to the dealer (see below) I am real happy with it. Currently at the dealer again for repair at ~19.5k miles.

Handled the 15 and 18 inch unplowed snowfalls last winter with no issues and had a blast while playing taxi service for the wife and kiddo. Got a recovery rope and soft shackles so less digging this year when I play good Samaritan.

I don’t care for how the trans shifts while in normal mode and have been in sport mode almost exclusively (except in rain) for the last few months. I can deal with the high rpm hanging in sport easier than the horrible 1-3-5 skip shifting in normal. Supposedly this is much better on the Gen3.

My eyes did not like stock LED headlights, upgraded to Morimoto Gen2 projector LED. With the new lights I don’t feel the need to run the BD S2 sport foglights all the time anymore. Supposedly the higher trim LED lights are better on the Gen3.

The stock KO2 tires are kinda sketchy in the rain, starting to fishtail with light throttle during turns on wet roads at ~19k miles in 2WD. Rotated every 5k miles and wear looks good so far, will re-evaluate after more snow this winter.

I love the looks, comfort and capability of the Gen2 but the new bodystyle F150 is growing on me. I have yet to see a Gen3 Raptor yet but with as much as we lose power were we live the Powerboost definitely has my attention even if its only the little one. My salesman currently will do MSRP on 2022 Gen3, same dude who sold me my Gen2. I did consider trading it in for a TRX but none of the sales people that were advertising deals under MSRP ever got back to me so that was the end of that. Was also considering doing the F250 Tremor swap but am still on the fence, currently have a F250 as my rental and it’s a big girl in comparison and I think I would miss having 4A to use in the rain.

Dealer visits so far:

Day 1 - Glovebox wouldn’t shut, two dealer trips/replacements with no resolution. Had to remove the rubber bumpers myself to get it to shut without slamming.

Day 1 - Rear Defroster only worked on one side, dealer replaced rear glass after approval from corporate.

~1k miles - Discovered the rear window trim piece was damaged by dealer during rear glass replacement, dealer replaced the trim piece.

~5k miles - Sunroof shade would make a loud clicking noise when moving, dealer replaced the shade assembly.

~13.5k miles - Random P0365 and P0369 codes started popping up, took to dealer and they tried to blame me by saying I only put 3 quarts of oil in (6 is fill). No oil lights, warning or any other indications of low oil. Just their word since it had only been 3.5K since the last oil change and my own fault for not checking the level since I did the fill. No oil consumption noted by me at 2k, 5k, 10k changes. Still ongoing since the shop did a half ass consumption test with no witness marks on the dipstick and obviously way overfilled it with oil. Kept my truck for a week since they snapped my fumoto oil drain valve in half and didn’t tell me. They were buying time to remove the threaded portion from the pan and failed to get a replacement in time since I kept asking why an oil change to start a consumption test was taking so long.

~13.5k miles - Cold start noise started (Cam phaser rattle) around the same time as the P0365 and P0369 popped up, had the software update with no success.

~17k miles - Plastic trim piece is rubbing paint off of bumper and causing rust, supposed to be resprayed and trim adjusted to prevent future issues while currently at the dealer for the phasers.

~19.5k miles - Truck has been at the dealer since Monday but they haven’t touched it yet as of yesterdays update, as per the service manager they should be replacing the phasers with the updated parts this trip. I have had this appt for a month so its not like I just showed up out of nowhere, supposedly they keep these parts on hand but who knows.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for your reply @*Jay*
I appreciate it.

I emailed a local Ford dealership last weekend about ordering a 2021/2022 and there was a 20k ADM. LMFAO
Then, after reading some more about the issues the Gen 3 Raptors are having,.....I'm all set. lol
Hard pass.

stang910

Established Member
I had a 20 Raptor and it was a fun truck to own. Can get expensive to own like any other "toy" vehicle. The ride is ok when new, but as the miles added on I didn't really care for it. Started to feel like the shocks couldn't control the vehicle as well and the tire wear was bad in the front from day one.

I tuned mine and it makes a big difference, but your close to maxed out on power once you tune it. Mid range torque is nice, but it didn't have enough up top and I hated how the power comes on from a stop.

Truck was reliable for the 30k miles that I owned it. I would still own it if used Raptor prices didn't get stupid. Got offered $12k more than I paid for it so away it went. I now have a 21 XLT sport with the 5.0 and honestly I like it better.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for your reply @*Jay*
I appreciate it.

I emailed a local Ford dealership last weekend about ordering a 2021/2022 and there was a 20k ADM. LMFAO
Then, after reading some more about the issues the Gen 3 Raptors are having,.....I'm all set. lol
Hard pass.
You mostly hear only the problems online but you probably already know that. I honestly think any car purchase right now will run the risk of getting hit by supply/staffing shortages causing problems. Go check out the TRX forums if you want to feel better about getting a Gen3. If youre open to shipping or a one way ticket MSRP Gen3's can be found. Fly into cleveland and I will drive you to my sales guy just to check out a Gen3 lol.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
You mostly hear only the problems online but you probably already know that. I honestly think any car purchase right now will run the risk of getting hit by supply/staffing shortages causing problems. Go check out the TRX forums if you want to feel better about getting a Gen3. If youre open to shipping or a one way ticket MSRP Gen3's can be found. Fly into cleveland and I will drive you to my sales guy just to check out a Gen3 lol.
LOL
Yeah, I've stories about the TRX as well. Not good. They all suck to be honest.
Cheap parts off vendors and make the money off the consumers. It gets worse and worse. lol

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL dealer trips above. You just sold me on the Tundra TRD Pro.
I forgot to mention the trips for when my door latches froze shut at about a month into ownership. After 3 days they said they could not replicate, well no shit as it was above freezing at that point. Talked to the Service Manager and he had me bring it back, they took the door panels off and checked the vapor barrier, moisture guards and gooped the entire mechanism up with lithium grease.

My94GT

Established Member
Why not look at a regular F150 or ram 1500 for the money the raptor is demanding unless you plan to use it off road it just seems a waste. At least considering you have the mustang still for nice day weekend fun

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not look at a regular F150 or ram 1500 for the money the raptor is demanding unless you plan to use it off road it just seems a waste.
Definitely no off road for me.
I do like the F150 Platinum truck too. A little lift and wheels/tires,.................(not a huge lift or the "yeee-yeee" offsets. LOL Not on a truck like that anyways.)

giphy.gif

Tastefully done of course. Lots of little touches on it. Kind of a custom deal.
Maybe after the economy crashes? lol

Users who are viewing this thread