26 spline install with some pics

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i thought id post up some pics. i know this is an easy install for most but its nice to have some pics for the guy thats never done it and is a little timed about it.

this is my first write up so forgive me if its not perfect.

start by draining trans fluid from vehicle, then remove the trans from vehicle.

next you should remove the bell housing and then the front plate. this is what you should have at this point.

1309712731.jpg

a closer look inside the trans

1309712732.jpg

the old 10 spline

1309712734.jpg

a closer look at the front cover

1309712737.jpg

1309712735.jpg

notice in the last pic there is a couple places where bearing races sit. also behind those are a shim. make sure you put them back in place.

i actually had a new front plate sitting around with a new bearing sleeve.

at this point if you have this cover off you need to replace that front bearing sleeve. sorry i do not have the instructions for that but you will need a press from what ive been told. its about a $50 part. i would highly recommend that you replace this when in the transmission.

you will need to clean up the cover and the trans, it has a small amout of RTV on it. clean it good and make sure if you get any trans in the transmission that you clean it out well also. when reinstalling i would recommend some grey RTV on the transmission side of the housing so to reseal the case.

now put when putting the front cover back on that you do not drop the blocker ring or the races as they just sit on there. it makes the job easier if you have a friend help hold the cover while installing i found.

now the finished product with the cover and new 26 spline shaft (d&d)

1309712705.jpg

1309712702.jpg

one important note here is that there is a shim kit that maybe needed for the bearing races, i personally did not get it for the d&d kit. but im told the liberty kit will need it.

i have note measured my trans shaft yet to see if i will need shims but plan to before reinstalling the transmission in vehicle

i hope this was helpful for someone thats never done this

thanks

brian

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
thanks for the write up...i'm hoping to tackle this over the winter and will definitely use this resource.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
thanks for the write up...i'm hoping to tackle this over the winter and will definitely use this resource.

Thanks I wish I would have taken a few more pics but it was kinda a last minute idea. It was 100 degree's outside that day also.

SVT Zorro

Established Member
26 Spline

i thought id post up some pics. i know this is an easy install for most but its nice to have some pics for the guy thats never done it and is a little timed about it.

this is my first write up so forgive me if its not perfect.

start by draining trans fluid from vehicle, then remove the trans from vehicle.

next you should remove the bell housing and then the front plate. this is what you should have at this point.

1309712731.jpg

a closer look inside the trans

1309712732.jpg

the old 10 spline

1309712734.jpg

a closer look at the front cover

1309712737.jpg

1309712735.jpg

notice in the last pic there is a couple places where bearing races sit. also behind those are a shim. make sure you put them back in place.

i actually had a new front plate sitting around with a new bearing sleeve.

at this point if you have this cover off you need to replace that front bearing sleeve. sorry i do not have the instructions for that but you will need a press from what ive been told. its about a $50 part. i would highly recommend that you replace this when in the transmission.

you will need to clean up the cover and the trans, it has a small amout of RTV on it. clean it good and make sure if you get any trans in the transmission that you clean it out well also. when reinstalling i would recommend some grey RTV on the transmission side of the housing so to reseal the case.

now put when putting the front cover back on that you do not drop the blocker ring or the races as they just sit on there. it makes the job easier if you have a friend help hold the cover while installing i found.

now the finished product with the cover and new 26 spline shaft (d&d)

1309712705.jpg

1309712702.jpg

one important note here is that there is a shim kit that maybe needed for the bearing races, i personally did not get it for the d&d kit. but im told the liberty kit will need it.

i have note measured my trans shaft yet to see if i will need shims but plan to before reinstalling the transmission in vehicle

i hope this was helpful for someone thats never done this

thanks

brian

Hello there I got the 26 spline but I need help on How To: please can you send me photos and instructions to direclty to my e-mail [email protected]
I was not ablo to seen those on oyur thread.... thank you!

z06h8tr

Established Member
So when you did this what all did you need for parts to do this entire install? Because I am about to do a heavy duty TOB, and TOB sleeve and I want to do the 26 spline and clutch at the same time and just wanted to get a confirmed parts list before I finish my order through Lethal. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread