2022 Super Duty

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
if and when the diesel breaks it’s a bitch to work on, it’s a LOT packed into a small space. Not that it can’t be done but a lot of stuff is buried.

After the initial purchase hit ongoing maintenance is expensive - I assume it’s still ~16 quarts of oil, 2 oil filters and 2 fuel filters that get swapped on a regular basis. Now there’s DEF to buy the too.

resale on a diesel is better but unless you tow a lot you aren’t really making your money back in mileage
Wow. Didn't know all that. I'm glad I asked. LOL
What is a/the "DEF" you speak of?

I wouldn't be towing, it would be a daily driver.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow. Didn't know all that. I'm glad I asked. LOL
What is a/the "DEF" you speak of?

I wouldn't be towing, it would be a daily driver.
Diesel exhaust fluid for the emissions crap. Not sure how many gallons it holds but should be able to go through at least a few tanks of fuel before having to refill def.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Dude, we have the same trophy points and close reaction score for this site.
Got a big day of Botox injections booked up for tomorrow MD?

View attachment 1719923
Wow, so you went as far as to look at our site stats, so I guess someone is triggered.
No Botox at Drag Week tomorrow but you have a great day, I know I will :)
-J

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You should see my spreadsheet for mods lol @01yellercobra

I yawned just reading that post.

So,...school me guys. I have ZERO knowledge of diesels at all. lol

What's the reliability of a diesel engine over gas engine?
How about cold weather and diesels? I live in the Northeast and it gets cold out here in the winter time.
I "assume" that it gets good mpg? Not too worried about that too much, but I don't want it to be like the TRX. The TRX is stupid on gas. Stupid. lol

Mostly asking about the new 2021+ turbo diesel F250 truck.

I bought my 2015 F250 new and it's my first diesel. I had no idea about working on them before I bought it. My understanding is you need the block heater if it gets into the 30's. But I don't know as I live in California and the coldest I see is in the 40's usually. It still fires up fine in the morning.

For reliability my truck only left me stranded once in the last 90k miles. The batteries died and really that was on me as I had a feeling since the start ups were getting harder.

For mpg I get 14-15 on my daily commute which includes a good amount of traffic. It takes me 20-25 minutes to get to work and about an hour to get home if that tells you anything. Cruising to AZ at 75-80mph I see 18-19. With my car or boat hooked up it drops to 14ish. Although I tend to forget they're back there and end up cruising at 70-75mph. Friend of mine tows his son's enclosed race trailer that weighs about 9k with his 2020 F250 and see 10-11mpg I think. And I know he doesn't go slow.

DEF isn't as bad as it sounds. Mine has a 5 gallon tank. The newer ones are 7 gallon I believe. Average is supposed to be about 1000mpg depending on if you're towing and such. Honestly I tend to randomly think about it to check the level. But I just added 3 gallons last week and it's been at least 2 months since I added some.

Oh, two fuel filters and one oil filter with 13 quarts of oil. Oil change every 7500 miles and fuel filters every 15k.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Dude you’re insufferable.
I’ve never seen you post one positive or helpful thing.

HuntFishCobra: congrats on the new truck!
I like the light interior, getting bored with all black everyday.
I’m looking forward to my order at Chuck Anderson Ford!
-J
Thanks! I’m up to about 180 miles on the clock, 12.7 mpg. Would be higher if I didn’t love the sound of Godzilla so much. Not quite sure on whipple timeline haha

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My understanding is you need the block heater if it gets into the 30's.

our 6.0 doesn't have the block heater, it starts just fine in the 20s/30s, I usually cycle the key twice to run the glow plugs. Hell, we've started it in the low teens/single digits in Colorado but it sounds like it's gonna come apart. We'd let it run while we ate breakfast, it'll do it but I'd definitely have the block heater if I lived somewhere cold

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
our 6.0 doesn't have the block heater, it starts just fine in the 20s/30s, I usually cycle the key twice to run the glow plugs. Hell, we've started it in the low teens/single digits in Colorado but it sounds like it's gonna come apart. We'd let it run while we ate breakfast, it'll do it but I'd definitely have the block heater if I lived somewhere cold
It was just a guess. The only people I interacted with that live in the cold no longer post on the forum I was on. One of the things HuntFishCobra and I discussed was the cold starts in the low 20's since he likes to hunt in the winter. Mine has only seen temps in the 20's once when we went snow boarding. I don't remember there being any issues, but that was about 4 years ago.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It was just a guess. The only people I interacted with that live in the cold no longer post on the forum I was on. One of the things HuntFishCobra and I discussed was the cold starts in the low 20's since he likes to hunt in the winter. Mine has only seen temps in the 20's once when we went snow boarding. I don't remember there being any issues, but that was about 4 years ago.

I drive diesels, and have for 6 or 7 years.

This February we had a week when the average temperature was -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I had my truck plugged in, parked outside, and it fired up easily each time.

Now, the trick is to NOT park your truck where the wind is blowing directly into the grill. I pull mine up tight (4-5") to the garage door.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member

I drive diesels, and have for 6 or 7 years.

This February we had a week when the average temperature was -20 degrees Fahrenheit. I had my truck plugged in, parked outside, and it fired up easily each time.

Now, the trick is to NOT park your truck where the wind is blowing directly into the grill. I pull mine up tight (4-5") to the garage door.

yeah duck hunting in KS winter is no bueno for having a power outlet accessible. We generally hit our spot around 5 am and will stay for 5-6 hours and it can be windy as hell, depending on which spot we hit

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks to everyone for their input.
I really appreciate it guys.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

How about cold weather and diesels? I live in the Northeast and it gets cold out here in the winter time.
I "assume" that it gets good mpg? Not too worried about that too much, but I don't want it to be like the TRX. The TRX is stupid on gas. Stupid. lol

I was going through this struggle as well. I had Sids truck ear marked but got misleading info from USAA. Anyways,

For my needs the 7.3 Tremor gas burner will be fine. I was trying to plan for years down the road and trying to convince myself I needed the NEW truck to be a diesel.

My wife made the analogy, WHEN we get to needing a diesel it means that we probably no longer have a house and all the things holding us back from going in on a nice RV etc etc. At that time we will switch em out if need be from gas to diesel.

"Save the $10k on the diesel and add the Tremor package for $6k+/-" Her words, not mine

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I was going through this struggle as well. I had Sids truck ear marked but got misleading info from USAA. Anyways,

For my needs the 7.3 Tremor gas burner will be fine. I was trying to plan for years down the road and trying to convince myself I needed the NEW truck to be a diesel.

My wife made the analogy, WHEN we get to needing a diesel it means that we probably no longer have a house and all the things holding us back from going in on a nice RV etc etc. At that time we will switch em out if need be from gas to diesel.

"Save the $10k on the diesel and add the Tremor package for $6k+/-" Her words, not mine
Awesome wife, 7.3 and a Tremor package. Win win

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

That makes sense to me. I agree.
I can't believe how much of a jump in price it is from the 7.3 to the turbo diesel. Crazy.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

In the "old" days, diesels would last more than 2x as long as their gas counterparts. This is due to the fact that diesel engines spin at roughly half the RPM a gas motor does so the bottom ends last just about forever.

The newer diesels have the emissions garbage to worry about, but there are tons of guys who "hot shot" them (use them for work--towing--transportation businesses) that have gone 400k+ miles with 0 issues w/the emissions components so who knows.

Dont ever expect to work on a modern powerstroke yourself--just about physically impossible, plus the special tools required will force you to refi your house. Duramax is similar. The cummins can still be worked on by your garage mechanic--mostly.

The modern diesels start in the cold just fine, especially if you plug in at night.

Diesels still get better fuel mileage than gas, but not better "enough" to justify the added cost over gas IMO.

The draw of a modern diesel over gas is the torque and ease of towing large loads and peace of mind being able to do 65+ mph up a mountain with 15k lbs behind you, driving with one hand on the steering wheel with a coffee in the other. A gas motor'd truck in a similar situation will be spinning at 4k-5k rpm and you will be constantly listening for a rod to fly out the passenger side of the block as tractor trailers are passing you because you are only going 40 mph up that hill with your foot planted on the floor.

Just do it! lmao

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread