2022 GT500 ordered!! Have some questions

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Hey everyone.

Just sold my foxbody and left that world, prices on those are so crazy here I am ordering a new GT500.

I have never ordered a brand new build before and was looking for some advice on what to expect.

The dealer had a car ordered for their showroom stock, green with painted stripes and electronics package only. They said that it wasnt too late to change options if I wanted the allocation it was mine. Turns out they have a build date of May 1st so the only thing I can change is the color and stripe not packages or options on interior etc... color was most important to me. I wanted White no stripe, handling package and recaros but I can buy the handling package pieces later on and im trying to look at it as I gained heated and cooled seats so im all good and sent in my deposit.

The question I have is once the build date is set what happens next? When is a vin assigned? From start of production to completion and delivery how long is that normally? Has there been delays or am I looking good since build date was assigned?

sorry for the million questions but im just overly excited.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry but I think your dealer is FOS.
If the build date is assigned the VIN. is assigned and no changing of the order.
@13COBRA can possibly clarify.
I’ve had an order in since the first day.
Still in material hold.
-J

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Sorry but I think your dealer is FOS.
If the build date is assigned the VIN. is assigned and no changing of the order.
@13COBRA can possibly clarify.
I’ve had an order in since the first day.
Still in material hold.
-J
There were some things I found strange... maybe he wasnt explaining it correct either.

The Ford rep was there today and he got the color approved. He gave me an order number, I asked for the vin and he said there wasnt a vin yet which I thought was a little strange if it was scheduled for build but no vin.

They are waiting for the system to update with my color and they will send me the revised paperwork (lower cost due to no painted stripes) for me to sign off on and hopefully get more info from them at that point.

Appreciate you chiming in, looking forward to hearing what to expect!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No problem and I hope we both get one.
For several reasons I gambled on a last year car and I don’t mind waiting I just hope to get a car built to my specs.
I’m sure Nick can help clarify.
-J

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
No problem and I hope we both get one.
For several reasons I gambled on a last year car and I don’t mind waiting I just hope to get a car built to my specs.
I’m sure Nick can help clarify.
-J
From my understanding this order was already placed some time ago so the dealer could have one in their inventory, which is the reason I jumped after it so I didnt have to wait. I was non negotiable on white with no stripes. everything else I could live with. It made sense that they couldn't change interior or other packages since paint is easy im guessing but ordering another set of Recaros might be too late this close to build.

But yes, I hope so too. Looking forward to hearing from nick and other's experiences!

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
I got the email thursday from ford performance and my dealer that my car was scheduled for the week of may 9th production. I too wondered how long the build, shipping and all that takes just to have an idea when to expect the car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If it's scheduled to a day.. it has a VIN. If it has a VIN you can't change colors.

Sent from my Potato

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
From my understanding the color change was made the last day possible. The rep from ford was there at the dealer and okayed the color change. After the change was put in is when it got the build date. They have a new invoice that will be sent over on Monday to confirm the color change and stripe delete.

This makes me think the sales guy gave me a day but it is actually not that specific. Maybe 1st week of May is what he should have said.

My main question is do they give ballpark dates for builds then narrow it in? once they nailed the exact date down does that normally stay put or could that change drastically?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From my understanding the color change was made the last day possible. The rep from ford was there at the dealer and okayed the color change. After the change was put in is when it got the build date. They have a new invoice that will be sent over on Monday to confirm the color change and stripe delete.

This makes me think the sales guy gave me a day but it is actually not that specific. Maybe 1st week of May is what he should have said.

My main question is do they give ballpark dates for builds then narrow it in? once they nailed the exact date down does that normally stay put or could that change drastically?
They'll give a build week, then a build date.

Once it receives a build week, it very well could get moved. My wife's Expedition was the last week in January...then kept getting kicked back, and finally got built last week.

When it gets a build date, it's more final....but still possible it'll move.

Sent from my Potato

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

All you need to ask your dealer…hands the car been assigned a VIN?
If it has they can easily prove that to you and you’ll see the car that’s being built with that VIN. The VIN will be assigned a build week which can and likely will change.
Hopefully they can show you your order with a VIN and build week.
-J

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Awesome, I called him Friday and he was off that day, I asked him if I am 100% locked in white. He called me back and said his manager confirmed its locked in and I will have the paperwork Monday.

Once build date is given, how long does production take to finish the car, then how long till it shows at the dealer?

Or are these questions too variable to even answer? Again, I appreciate your insight.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Update, the build date wasnt a hard date. its a "week of" date as of this moment. still communicating with them and waiting on my updated invoice to sign off on.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Update, the build date wasnt a hard date. its a "week of" date as of this moment. still communicating with them and waiting on my updated invoice to sign off on.

Ask them what the VIN is.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He stated there is not a vin yet. order 7733 has a priority of 01 with fastest build week of 5/16. The system changed the stripes (originally painted stripes) but waiting on the body color (originally green moving to white) to update.

If it has a build week, it has a VIN.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wonderful. sounds to me the sales guy isn't quite as informed as I hoped he would be.

For example.

1649090145673.png

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
In that system there are you able to see all dealers orders or only your own? I wish I could go in person but the dealer is a few thousand miles from me. I will ask if they can pull that up and send me a screenshot.

Users who are viewing this thread