2022 F150 3.5 Suspension Float??

03' White Snake

Established Member
I ordered the same truck and options as my 17’ 3.5 which has been a great truck. New truck is a 22’ STX 3.5 eco boost, 10 speed, locking 3:31 rear. After 3.5 month wait it’s finally here. Traded in my old truck last week for the new truck. After driving it for a day, I am realizing my old truck rode much better. Looking into it more, the new truck only has a single rear leaf spring. The truck feels floaty and body rolls like no other. My other truck did not ride like this at all.

I am really not happy with how it rides. I get it, Ford is trying to appeal to the soccer moms out there but I don’t like it. It doesn’t ride like a truck should ride even though it’s rated to tow more than my last truck.

Anyone have the same complaints and what suspension mods can I do to fix it? Needs to be leveled and 34’s for sure. I’m contemplating looking for the 3 spring rear leafs and swapping them, or sway bars. It needs something. Just not sure what yet. Truck has about 200 miles on it now.

DF754CCA-4782-4629-852E-290417EC1A48.jpeg
D9E1CC08-8711-4794-8110-2BF193E7CCD9.jpeg
EA73103F-7FE1-4FAC-8CE2-39BE24101696.jpeg
61AD0456-346B-47B5-BDB8-4A428F07CA51.jpeg
875551C7-2207-4F73-9468-5EAA3E67F673.jpeg
8872CB13-B6FE-4CBF-98BC-BBB42BED0E68.jpeg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
OP did you not test the new gen before purchasing? Some pretty big changes on the 21+ F150. Some not all good. Like Sid said said a nice set of Fox struts and shocks will make things to much more your liking.

03' White Snake

Established Member
OP did you not test the new gen before purchasing? Some pretty big changes on the 21+ F150. Some not all good. Like Sid said said a nice set of Fox struts and shocks will make things to much more your liking.
Unfortunately no test drive until the truck showed up. The dealer didn’t have any comparable trucks on the lot at the time. That’s why it was a 3.5 month wait.

My dads 19’ was just like my 17’. My fault for not doing more research.

I was looking at the Fox kit. Some say don’t run them if your in a salt area (they salt the roads like crazy in the winter here). Will the fox hold up?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Bilstein 5100's and some Hellwig sway bars would be my go-to(and my actual plan when the warranty runs out).

I have a 2.7 XLT w/ the 302a/FX4/tow package and it doesnt feel floaty to me but im coming from a Colorado so its a wash on my end.

I will say that the stock shocks are pretty good for me except when hitting large expansion joints at 40-60mph. Just feels like the truck wants to lurch all over the place. Any other time it feels perfectly fine.

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
Wow! I ordered my wife a 22 f150 4-wheel drive XLT with the
black appearance package back in 4/4/22. Still waiting!!!
I will have to wait and to comment on the ride.
Soft ride Humm!
Well maybe she will like it LOL
Should be here soon tho.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Wow! I ordered my wife a 22 f150 4-wheel drive XLT with the
black appearance package back in 4/4/22. Still waiting!!!
I will have to wait and to comment on the ride.
Soft ride Humm!
Well maybe she will like it LOL
Should be here soon tho.
Ordered mine April 4th too. Just showed up last Thursday.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Bilstein 5100's and some Hellwig sway bars would be my go-to(and my actual plan when the warranty runs out).

I have a 2.7 XLT w/ the 302a/FX4/tow package and it doesnt feel floaty to me but im coming from a Colorado so its a wash on my end.

I will say that the stock shocks are pretty good for me except when hitting large expansion joints at 40-60mph. Just feels like the truck wants to lurch all over the place. Any other time it feels perfectly fine.
Mine has the tow package too, but not the max tow. If I knew about the suspension changes I would have went max tow for the stiffer springs. I will look into the Bilsteins and the Fox kits. It's getting something for sure.

I can literally open the door, grab the helper handle and shake the truck. I can let go and it will continue shaking for a good 1-2 seconds, no lie. I am very un happy about that aspect of the truck. My other truck was much tighter feeling and I miss it already hahaha.

The good side of things, factory Sport Mode is nice. Not as nice as my MPT tune was on the last truck but I can deal with that until tunes are released for the new trucks.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Unfortunately no test drive until the truck showed up. The dealer didn’t have any comparable trucks on the lot at the time. That’s why it was a 3.5 month wait.

My dads 19’ was just like my 17’. My fault for not doing more research.

I was looking at the Fox kit. Some say don’t run them if your in a salt area (they salt the roads like crazy in the winter here). Will the fox hold up?
Honestly Salt eats everything. I cant say how well the fox shocks will last in the salt. But my guess is not much less than OEM.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Mine has the tow package too, but not the max tow. If I knew about the suspension changes I would have went max tow for the stiffer springs. I will look into the Bilsteins and the Fox kits. It's getting something for sure.

I can literally open the door, grab the helper handle and shake the truck. I can let go and it will continue shaking for a good 1-2 seconds, no lie. I am very un happy about that aspect of the truck. My other truck was much tighter feeling and I miss it already hahaha.

The good side of things, factory Sport Mode is nice. Not as nice as my MPT tune was on the last truck but I can deal with that until tunes are released for the new trucks.
The 16-20 F150 were actually really solid trucks. Other than maybe the 1st yr of the 3.5 gen 2 and 10 speed. But they got that figured out really well for the 19/20. What was even nicer was the 3.5HO option for 19/20

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
The 16-20 F150 were actually really solid trucks. Other than maybe the 1st yr of the 3.5 gen 2 and 10 speed. But they got that figured out really well for the 19/20. What was even nicer was the 3.5HO option for 19/20
3.5HO option for 19/20!! Did not know this, I thought that was Raptor only.

mbsvt

My Hot Rod's
Established Member
Nice, my son got a 2019 Platinum f150 pretty sure he would have ordered the limited if he was aware of this option.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly Salt eats everything. I cant say how well the fox shocks will last in the salt. But my guess is not much less than OEM.
They are aluminum with Kashima coating which is ultra durable in terms of long term corrosion resistance. Never used Fox but i have had R/C cars with Kashima coated shocks(Kyosho is notorious for using this coating on buggy shocks) and they held up to the abuse of a race buggy over a few years of use.

Bilstein uses a zinc coating on theirs which is around the same durability rating. I used the 5100's on my Colorado and after 2 winters they still looked basically new.

The exterior coatings should last longer than the OE painted shocks.

cmacmustang

Established Member
If your truck has the OBS system them you might want to rethink changing the springs. The system uses spring rate as part of the calculations to display payload.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member

so if a person was looking to buy a newer F150 (I know a guy), and from what I have researched on SVTP, the 19/20 MY seems like the a better truck in a lot of areas vs new 21/22?

OP, My ranger (not apples to apples) is out fitted with the Tremor package, Fox 2.0 shocks and stiffer springs than my friends 22 XLT ranger. There is a big difference between just those 2 units. His does feel floaty

Users who are viewing this thread