2020 Super Duty 10r140 recall? CSP 21B03

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I fear for those that go to dealerships with no master transmission tech. I guarantee alot of transmissions will come back worse than before the repair.
They don’t let everyone work on trannies, you have to be trans certified to touch them under warranty. I feel bad for the techs, they always get the shaft on recalls and warranty times.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They don’t let everyone work on trannies, you have to be trans certified to touch them under warranty. I feel bad for the techs, they always get the shaft on recalls and warranty times.

No offense but trans certification doesn't mean anything. Do you know what it means to be certified? Serious question.

A master transmission tech is what you want working on your transmission.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
No offense but trans certification doesn't mean anything. Do you know what it means to be certified? Serious question.

A master transmission tech is what you want working on your transmission.
Being a Ford Transmission certifies tech means a lot. It means the person did all the classes Ford requires to go to their in-person training facility to get certified. A master technician has certifications in all fields. I am just telling you how it works because I am an ex ford diesel master tech and current ASE master tech.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Being a Ford Transmission certifies tech means a lot. It means the person did all the classes Ford requires to go to their in-person training facility to get certified. A master technician has certifications in all fields. I am just telling you how it works because I am an ex ford diesel master tech and current ASE master tech.

How long does it normally take to get your Master tech?
My understanding is that you have to have a few years under your belt before you can even get to the level of a Master tech.

My understanding of fords certification program is that a newbie out of school can go an study the material take the test with little experience.

You must have some good experience and knowledge being a diesel master tech.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
How long does it normally take to get your Master tech?
My understanding is that you have to have a few years under your belt before you can even get to the level of a Master tech.

My understanding of fords certification program is that a newbie out of school can go an study the material take the test with little experience.

You must have some good experience and knowledge being a diesel master tech.
When I worked at Ford you could get all you online and in person training done in the different fields offered and be a Master Tech, it would take a few years because you have to wait for classes to open up and there is a lot of online training modules. You could also become a Senior Master which includes being ASE master certified and all the Ford certs. For some reason Ford stopped recognizing the ASE’s and cancelled that program. You could also go to school in an apprenticeship program and when you are done you get your Master certs, this is a two year deal.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have a 23 year old Master Tech. He's phenomenal.

Thats great. Honestly its really nice to have master tech with that kind of experience. They tend to do really really good work.

Personally i would hate for a inexperienced tech doing major work on my vehicles. Unfortunately not having the experience and knowledge tends to leads to mistakes that end up with vehicles back at the service department.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thats great. Honestly its really nice to have master tech with that kind of experience. They tend to do really really good work.

Personally i would hate for a inexperienced tech doing major work on my vehicles. Unfortunately not having the experience and knowledge tends to leads to mistakes that end up with vehicles back at the service department.

I think you might have misread that... he's 23 years old haha

I also have a technician who is 57 and has been a Master Tech for 31 years.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think you might have misread that... he's 23 years old haha

I also have a technician who is 57 and has been a Master Tech for 31 years.
Lol totally misread that , sorry.

Thats incredible that at 23 hes a master tech.

Between the 2 do they each have a specialty that they are good at?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lol totally misread that , sorry.

Thats incredible that at 23 hes a master tech.

Between the 2 do they each have a specialty that they are good at?

The older one is MUCH better at a quick drivability diagnosis, while the younger one is much more interested in the more complicated issues. They both have full ability and willingness to do just about anything, but given the choice, the younger one will tackle the problems that fall more in the gray area while the older is much more black and white.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
When I worked for Honda it was cool to watch the differences between the young and old master techs.

The young guys were outrageously fast, like knocking out a 9.5 hour job in 45 minutes.

The old guys were far better at dealing with non-Hondas, I think it was a confidence thing, or maybe they were just hungry so they didn't want to be slowed up.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The older one is MUCH better at a quick drivability diagnosis, while the younger one is much more interested in the more complicated issues. They both have full ability and willingness to do just about anything, but given the choice, the younger one will tackle the problems that fall more in the gray area while the older is much more black and white.

Any trouble retaining talent?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
It takes a special person to become a good Transmission tech. It is most definitely a detail oriented job. Something as simple as a wave washer in the wrong position could require complete disassembly to correct.

When they are good, motivated and experienced they can make a transmission rebuild look like a bearing repack. Of course, as they gain experience there are growing pains. Just the nature of in-shop transmission repair.

Us Lexus/Toyota guys were blessed with having a corporate policy of reman transmissions as opposed to rebuilding at the shop.

Of course, banging out a reman trans 3 times because each core was only washed painted and shipped by the reman company was a trip lol.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any trouble retaining talent?

Not really. We pay union rates, but aren't union, so they're actually making a little more money since there are no dues. We also observe most union holidays, etc etc etc. I'd like to think we make it pretty easy to stay here.

We have just under 50 employees, with probably 20 of them being here for 20+ years.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It takes a special person to become a good Transmission tech. It is most definitely a detail oriented job. Something as simple as a wave washer in the wrong position could require complete disassembly to correct.

When they are good, motivated and experienced they can make a transmission rebuild look like a bearing repack. Of course, as they gain experience there are growing pains. Just the nature of in-shop transmission repair.

Us Lexus/Toyota guys were blessed with having a corporate policy of reman transmissions as opposed to rebuilding at the shop.

Of course, banging out a reman trans 3 times because each core was only washed painted and shipped by the reman company was a trip lol.

Trans rebuilding is very tedious... especially on autos!

Manuals... not so bad. I’ve done a few of those on a fwd platform.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread