2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP broken suspension! (video)

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I was on a Mustang cruise with others and developed a problem with my suspension. My magneride suspension was disabled and the car was computer limited on speed. I was filming at the time of the problem, which I show as well as the trip to the dealer for warranty work. The video finishes with a "spirited" test drive with my service advisor!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Tim, wearing a harness on the rode is a really good way to break your neck.

Harnesses without helmets/HAANS are not safe at all.
I have a HANS, but how is wearing a harness without a HANS different on the track or on the road?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have a HANS, but how is wearing a harness without a HANS different on the track or on the road?

If you're wearing a harness, on the track or on the road, you absolutely should have a HANS device.

On the road, if you get in an accident the factory seatbelts will allow you to go far enough forward that your head will hit the airbag. If you have a harness on, and get in an accident the harness will keep your body from moving, but your head will still go airbag searching...but won't reach it resulting in a loud snap.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If you're wearing a harness, on the track or on the road, you absolutely should have a HANS device.

On the road, if you get in an accident the factory seatbelts will allow you to go far enough forward that your head will hit the airbag. If you have a harness on, and get in an accident the harness will keep your body from moving, but your head will still go airbag searching...but won't reach it resulting in a loud snap.

Dale Earnhardt died this way. Extreme whiplash. An ~11lb melon affixed atop a stationary body, with your neck acting as the fulcrum.

Definitely taking a big risk harnessing up for the street. A factory car relies on all safety systems working in synergy to function effectively.

Nice video BTW. My intent was not to preach at you.....just looking out for a fellow gearhead.

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the tips.
Translation:
1*JN6qTTvi5RmvU2cFc1-KRA.gif

blk02edge

Established Member
I've been in that position years back when I was ignorant to track safety. Spec miata, lost brake line. Hit the wall doing maaaybe 15mph. Full harness, helmet, NO Hans... It was a hospital visit and could not walk for a week due to bruising around my spine...

Now had I hit that wall at even 30mph...

Anyone else thinking 13Cobra is just being a nag... Don't, serious business

blk02edge

Established Member
I think it’s just good looking out for a carbro. No one should take offense. They both are good guys
Absolutely! No harm intended, it's just a great fact to reiterate. I didn't think of it when I first started and I know plenty of other's that haven't as well. Scary thing is I know other guys in open wheel cars who know better but still don't because "it's not comfortable"...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been in that position years back when I was ignorant to track safety. Spec miata, lost brake line. Hit the wall doing maaaybe 15mph. Full harness, helmet, NO Hans... It was a hospital visit and could not walk for a week due to bruising around my spine...

Now had I hit that wall at even 30mph...

Anyone else thinking 13Cobra is just being a nag... Don't, serious business

damn, I knew it was bad but never thought it would be that severe at only 15mph. That's what tears me up about putting any kind of bar in the street car - no harness and you might smack your noggin off the bar, wear a harness and break your neck.

blk02edge

Established Member
damn, I knew it was bad but never thought it would be that severe at only 15mph. That's what tears me up about putting any kind of bar in the street car - no harness and you might smack your noggin off the bar, wear a harness and break your neck.
Yep, being so involved in racing has turned me into a Ned Flanders when it comes to that stuff, the reality is race car stuff does not belong on street cars period. Another one is fixed back seats in cars with no roll bar.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I wouldn't put a bar in a street car.

Even with a bar that has required padding on it, and a helmet, a fairly minor bump still gets your attention.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yep, being so involved in racing has turned me into a Ned Flanders when it comes to that stuff, the reality is race car stuff does not belong on street cars period. Another one is fixed back seats in cars with no roll bar.

Curious about the fixed backs now...

Users who are viewing this thread