Established Member
Premium Member
Welcome to Bizzaro World.

Screenshot_20200722-134844__02.jpeg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow,......I haven't been on the Hellcat forum in a long time to see if people are complaining about their Dodge vehicles.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
These initial quality awards are the best participater trophy of the car awards world.
Gotta disagree.

The problem is marketing teams and consumers may try and infer something from these studies that the studies are not actually measuring.

"Initial Quality" does not mean "nothing will ever break on this car", nor does it mean "this is the most luxurious" high quality" built car ever".

It means the cars shipped to the dealers and customers as they are designed and function as intended.

2020 Initial Quality Study (IQS)

It's part data but also has an element of customer interpretation. Back in the day, the Hummer H2 got mauled because of customer complaints - those complaints being gas mileage, tire/road noise and wind buffering with the windows down.

Buffering was a by-product of the square design and had nothing to do with poor workmanship.

Road Noise was the result of 32" all-Terran tires, again, no production flaws in the tires or suspension.

And of course gas mileage, unlike those Ford, Nissan or Mazda historical horse power claim fiascos, the H2 had no design/tune issue. Rather, it was not required to post an EPA number because of its size and weight.... And well a giant truck on 32" all terran tires shaped like a brick with a 4spd auto is bound to suck gas.

So consumers expected the vehicle to perform like a Tahoe, Escalade or Ford Excursion... But unfortunately it was designed to be rough and tough. They took the harsh ride, noise and performance as potentially something wrong with the vehicle and reported it as such on surveys. After all, they paid Denali money and got Jeep Wrangler comfort.

These reports are very valuable feedback to anyone in the industry. The studies are not geared towards telling "real people, not actors" , what is actually "better".

As for "paying" to win, you are thinking of Motor Trends Car/Truck of the year.

In order to even compete, a manufacturer must submit to MT their proposal. This includes why they should win and how they will help market the Motor Trend brand if awarded. This proposal is usually over a sponsored weekend complete with food, hotels, test vehicles and a lot of journalist hand jobs.

This is why for example the all new G63 was never even once considered for Truck of the year.

Mercedes wasn't about to give them hacks a half dozen trucks to bomb around in for 6 month. Nor did Mercedes promise to air 500 commercials over 12 months promoting "2019 G63! The Motor Trend Truck of the Year!!".

So yeah, that one is pay to play.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
My Ram 1500 has been 100% trouble free in 20 months. One non-maintenance trip to the service department - to tighten a single bolt on a sway bar bracket.

I've read that most initial complaints regard the infotainment systems. The 12" screen system in the ram has been fantastic.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
My Ram 1500 has been 100% trouble free in 20 months. One non-maintenance trip to the service department - to tighten a single bolt on a sway bar bracket.

I've read that most initial complaints regard the infotainment systems. The 12" screen system in the ram has been fantastic.

Same with my '18 Durango that was bought on Feb 2018. Over two years, including daily commutes and road trips with no issues.

Blown 89

Established Member
I have a 2009 Ran that's been trouble free, my brother has an 05, same thing.

I'll never buy another GM product after owning the V though.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had 3 Dodge/Jeep vehicles.

The 14 was a SRT Jeep that was pretty low maintenance outside of the lifters(IIRC) going bad at 72k(5yr-100k PT warranty). Then at 103k the AC fuse went bad along with the rear camera. Other than eating brakes every 25k it was solid. Traded it in at 107k for 28k.

Wife had a 15 R/T Durango that had 1 issue, the water pump started to poop itself at 30k. Warranty item, fixed in a day(7-100k warranty item by Dodge). Traded it in with ~55k on the clock with no other issues.

Then I had a 19 Ram which was solid till I got rearended at ~19k miles.

Fathers Trackhawk has 55k miles. Something small in the transmission(fluke issue supposedly) went bad at ~45k, so instead of rebuilding it they ended up swapping the entire transmission. He's got a 125k mile warranty on it so he's not too worried.

Have the same reliability on my ford vehicles. One random part here or there and only one major issue with an engine(thank god for warranty even though it was a fluke issue from the get go with a bad head).

From my experience, they have been no worse than Ford vehicles for me.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
JD Power. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Over the past 30 years I've owned 9 vehicles from Ford, Chevy, Buick, Mini Cooper, and Genesis. Nothing from Chrysler or Dodge. I had zero issues with any of them except for occasional auto transmission sloppiness on my '16 Edge Sport. So for me, a JD Power Award doesn't mean much of anything. It does give Dodge bragging rights for their marketing department to use. I always buy what personally appeals to me at the time. I'll admit, though, that Motor Trend influenced my buying a 2003 Cobra and 2019 Genesis G-70.

Users who are viewing this thread