"2020 GT500's Scheduled For Production - Part 1"

Snoopy49

Established Member
Is that a specialty car??
See the SOLD TO??
Unnassigned Production

That's weird. I wonder if all painted stripe cars are going to have a window sticker like that?

That is a painted stripe car.
That's the raffle car. I imagine it will have a different window sticker with the dealers name and address.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Approximate total of all the VINs for all the states. These do not include the 131 Factory VINs.

Total VINs by State.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I thought I read that correctly.
So, it is just a rolling chassis when it gets shipped out, then goes back for final assembly. That's the reason for the extreme cost for the painted stripes. Now it makes sense.

From the other Mustang forum,..............
Step one of course is to get steel formed into a Mustang shell/body and then sent directly to the paint booth and painted the appropriate body color and at some point once the body is painted the clear coat process would take place prior to heading down the assembly line to become a rolling chassis and installation of the suspension engine, transmission and interior.

In the case of the Painted OTT Stripe optioned cars once the body has been painted and left the paint booth the clear coat process is then skipped with the body heading down the assembly line in order to become a rolling chassis.

Once the car has become a rolling chassis it will then be loaded up and shipped to Team Penske's paint facility located not far from the FRAP whereby the already painted rolling chassis will be hand prepped and hand painted with OTT Stripes after which time the rolling chassis will return to the FRAP for further assembly.

After the rolling chassis returns to the FRAP it will return to their paint booth at which time the clear coat process will then take place with the rolling chassis then continuing on down the assembly line for installation of the engine, transmission and interior.

My initial thoughts were that Team Penske would handle the complete OTT Painted Stripe process including the clear coat application but it is now my understanding that the FRAP will complete the clear coat process themselves.

This past weekend I was able to observe and closely inspect a Rapid Red Metallic GT500 with Painted Black OTT Stripes and came away very impressed with the look, feel and final outcome on this Pilot Production car namely "PP0021".

I understand the stripe painting before the clear goes on. I wonder what a "rolling chassis" means. Definitely the rear IRS assembly. Most pictures I have seen the k-member/motor/tranny go in as a single unit which would allow the front to roll as well. Then, it gets stripes and goes back for clear at the plant. This can't be on the assembly line. Or, maybe the motor/tranny is pulled again, or wasn't installed. Or everything is masked off so it doesn't have clear all over it. There is more to this story for it to make sense. But, it helps justify the $10K charged.

Tom

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Are the locations dealer location or owner location?
For some of us the dealer location is different than the car location.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I understand the stripe painting before the clear goes on. I wonder what a "rolling chassis" means. Definitely the rear IRS assembly. Most pictures I have seen the k-member/motor/tranny go in as a single unit which would allow the front to roll as well. Then, it gets stripes and goes back for clear at the plant. This can't be on the assembly line. Or, maybe the motor/tranny is pulled again, or wasn't installed. Or everything is masked off so it doesn't have clear all over it. There is more to this story for it to make sense. But, it helps justify the $10K charged.

Tom
Very true Tom. It's kinda confusing.
I think the engine/transmission and something else gets installed after the stripes?? I'm not positive. The whole set up is kinda weird. I wonder why they wouldn't leave everything in house? Better quality control and more cost effective that way, I would "assume"??

kilomikebravo

Established Member
Now here's a question...does that car have a clear coat? Word is that the POTT stripe cars only get primer and base then Penske does the stripes, base only, then back to the FRAP for clear coat.

But this car sure looks like it's got one.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I don't know, I left a message with the paint manager at Penske last week, but he hasn't returned my call. Not holding my breath.

kilomikebravo

Established Member
You probably won't hear from the guy Earl but, you never know. Regardless, it would be nice to know the answer to my question. If it IS cleared then all I can think is Penske scuffs the stripes, paints them, and Ford takes it back for one or more additional clear coats? I could almost see that because moving these cars around with JUST a base coat is asking for paint damage. They obviously don't have any protective paper/plastic on the car other than the wing.

DonMTV

Established Member
Approximate total of all the VINs for all the states. These do not include the 131 Factory VINs.

View attachment 1604058
Would this be the state of the ordering dealer, or the delivery dealer? I have a friend who ordered in CA, but having it delivered in MA. I am amazed at your skills to get all this info. You are spending a lot of time helping everyone out.

Users who are viewing this thread