2020 GT500 - Retorque Wheel Lug Nuts

Snoopy49

Established Member
I just checked mine today for the first time at 876 miles and all 20 lug nuts rotated.
My car has never been driven hard or done any burn outs.

Even if you drive like an old lady going to church on Sunday, make sure you check the lug nuts.

From the 2020 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

Retighten
the lug nuts to the specified torque at 500 mi (800 km) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire or wheel removal).
150 ± 15 lb-ft ---- (200 ± 20) Nm
Note:
Torque specifications are for nut and bolt threads free of dirt and rust. Use only Ford recommended replacement fasteners.

Last edited:

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
Oh wow. I'm right around 400 miles so I'll check tonight when I get home. Thanks for posting!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just checked mine today for the first time at 876 miles and all 20 lug nuts rotated.

Even if you drive like an old lady going to church on Sunday, make sure you check the lug nuts.

Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque at 500 mi (800 km) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire or wheel removal).
Note:
Torque specifications are for nut and bolt threads free of dirt and rust. Use only Ford recommended replacement fasteners.

That is only talking about re-torqueing of the bolts IF the wheels are removed for any reason. Has nothing to do with the bolts potentially loosening. Yours has to be an isolated case where maybe the wheels were not properly torqued at the factory, or somebody removed the wheel(s) and retorqued them to the wrong spec. If properly torqued from the factory, you should not have to re-torque them. I'm not saying not to check anyway, but they should not loosen up on their own.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member

Retighten
the lug nuts to the specified torque at 500 mi (800 km) after any wheel disturbance (tire rotation, changing a flat tire or wheel removal).
Note:
Jeez, I have 350R, so I’m wondering if this is a carbon wheel thing. I’m at 3300 miles and haven’t touched them.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could be that the original, or your, torque wrench is not 100% spot on either.

I had a buddy that his torque wrench was 15-20lbs heavy.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
That is only talking about re-torqueing of the bolts IF the wheels are removed for any reason. Has nothing to do with the bolts potentially loosening. Yours has to be an isolated case where maybe the wheels were not properly torqued at the factory, or somebody removed the wheel(s) and retorqued them to the wrong spec. If properly torqued from the factory, you should not have to re-torque them. I'm not saying not to check anyway, but they should not loosen up on their own.
Theoretically, yes. But, having done a ton of track days over the last two decades, most with a tire change the day before, whenever I install a set of wheels and torque to spec, I always get another bit of a turn on the nut after they've been driven on a while. If I mount up a set of track tires on Thursday and drive 250 miles to the track for a Friday event, I'll get maybe an eighth of a turn on most of the lug nuts on Friday morning with the car cold. If I leave those rims on for a few track days, the nuts will eventually stop moving on the morning retorque.

It's such a universal thing that I expect part of the "factory spec" is an allowance for loosening by 10% or so. It's not clear why it happens, and it stops after a while, but my theory is that the heating and cooling of the brakes relaxes tensions in the assembly and the nuts end up a hair looser.

Users who are viewing this thread