2020 Ford Explorer ST | Finally, a Real Performance SUV from Ford

2020 Ford Explorer ST | Finally, a Real Performance SUV from Ford

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_025.jpg

I know that title may be a bit harsh, but if you read our review of the somewhat lackluster 2019 Edge ST you’ll understand its meaning. That version of the Edge was marketed as the first SUV from Ford Performance. Other than the nice styling, that car was a let-down. Ford really needed to do something special to redeem their efforts to produce a true performance SUV. Enter the 2020 Ford Explorer ST.

Check out our video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrSOoh-D4VU

Let me get this out of the way right up front. I was extremely excited to see that the newest version of the venerable Ford Explorer was returning to a Rear-Wheel-Drive based architecture. In my humble opinion, RWD is simply superior from a driving dynamics standpoint than a FWD design. For the ST model, the Ford Performance engineers took advantage of this drivetrain change and produced what I consider the first real performance SUV from Ford.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_026.jpg

The new Explorer's styling makes it look much wider than the outgoing model. We especially like the headlights.

So how good is the Explorer ST? I wish I could give to a complete answer, but sadly I didn’t get as much time with ExST as I would have liked. However, even with minimal seat time you can instantly tell that the drivetrain is really dialed in. The 3.0L EcoBoost V6, first introduced in the Lincoln Continental, is a very potent little engine. With twin turbos supplying 400HP and 415lb-ft of torque to the excellent 10R80 automatic transmission and AWD system you’re left 4,700 pound family truckster than can make the 0-60 sprint in the low 5.0 second range. Add a little tuning and those power numbers can increase dramatically. We’ve seen sub-4 second 0-60 times and the ¼ mile knocked out in the low 12s. Mix it up with some ethanol blended fuels and you have companies like Livernois Motorsport throwing down over 450HP and 525lbft to the wheels. That’ll get your attention.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_039.jpg

For you guys hoping to see a Coyote under the hood of an Explorer eventually, it looks like it might be a tight squeeze.

Ford Performance also worked over the suspension tuning. They managed to make this heavy truck feel sporty, but not at the expense of ride quality. The AWD system and decent factory tires provide ample grip. In fact, you’ll probably find that the limits are much higher than you would expect from a 3-row SUV. I’d go so far as to say that is the overall theme of the performance aspects of Explorer ST, surpassing your expectations. And that theme extends to the braking system as well, which a can bring all that fast steel to a stop in a respectably short distance.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_048.jpg

The Explorer's suspension is more aluminum intensive than previous models.
Ford has been steadily improving the interiors of their new cars for years, and the new generation of Explorers is no exception. The materials choices are very nice, and the quality is nicer than the previous model. Front and center is a large vertically mounted touch-screen. It acts as the control center for the navigation, entertainment, and climate control systems. The black leather seats are supportive and comfortable, and the heated steering wheel is a welcome addition during a polar vortex. Second row passengers are treated to heated reclining captain’s chairs, and power points to charge your devices can be found throughout the cabin. If you like a sun roof in your ride, Ford has you covered there with a massive panoramic unit. If you haven’t sat in a new Ford lately, check out the new Explorer. I think you’ll like it.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_022.jpg

The interior is much better than earlier Fords. There's still room for improvement, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

As for the styling, this is another area where Ford got it right. The new Explorer has a much larger and refined presence that the old one. The ST adds the expected blacked out wheel and grill, while also carrying on the tradition of minimal chrome accents. It certainly carries the ST styling DNA that we’ve become familiar with in the Focus and now greatly missed Fiesta ST models. The Explorer ST looks properly aggressive without veering into over-the-top territory. This is a vehicle that knows its intended purpose and audience.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_005.jpg

This center mount vertical screen is possibly one of the worst touch screen integrations I've seen in any vehicle. Most of the apps make very poor use of the massive amount of available screen real estate.
And, as in the case of out tester, when you’re spending just north of $59,000 you expect a quality product. Ford again delivers there. The fit and finish of our truck was as good as any I have seen from the Blue Oval. While some new Fords have some features that appear to have been cheapened by the bean counters, the Explorer ST seems to have avoided much of their wraith. You get excellent LED lighting, a quality stereo, super performance, snappy styling, and premium level fit-and-finish. The Explorer engineering and design team should be proud. They’ve put together a new Ex-Truck that should solidify Ford’s place as the leader in the SUV market for years to come. And the team at Ford Performance just added the cherry to the sundae with the ST model. Get out and try one for yourself.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_006.jpg

The full digital cluster is very nice, but the image does lag when changing modes.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_007.jpg

The console controls are logically laid out and have a fairly quality build. I especially like the inductive charging pad behind the drive mode buttons.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_035.jpg

The body and chassis structure make use of large amount of aluminum, such as this rather strong looking extruded brace.

Explorer_ST_Press_Car_069.jpg

The 2020 Explorer ST cuts a strong stance from any angle.

-SID297

I love the way the outside looks, especially with the black rims and red calipers against the blue paint. I drive a SHO as a daily, and its my second one. I have also owned a FiST.

I love the SHOs, and I liked the FiST, so I'm naturally excited about having ST handling in an Ecoboost AWD SUV. But, man, that center screen is SOOOOO bad. Surely, they have market research that says consumers will dig it, right? I just don't see how.
Pretty sure that portrait oriented screen is the upgrade. I like iPads, but not attached to my dash.

Incorrect. The 2020 Explorer is on an entirely new RWD platform.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Ford has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. They don't have money to develop 2 platforms. If they still made a Taurus it would be the same platform as the Explorer, just like the past 10 years.

Besides, a RWD Taurus, or full-time AWD, would be preferred over my FWD (with rear assist) '15. And hopefully this Explorer won't disintegrate inside and out like my SHO.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

I think its a perfect example of hopelessly lost.
Very plain looking
Overpriced
Little to no grass roots connection with the original vehicle.

Everybody loved the original 5.0 Explorer, lets start with that!

I think its a perfect example of hopelessly lost.
Very plain looking
Overpriced
Little to no grass roots connection with the original vehicle.

Everybody loved the original 5.0 Explorer, lets start with that!
The original spent most of the time on pavement. The new one will do the same for mom, dad, girlfriend and the man that cant no longer buy a Taurus but want to be brand loyal. But now you can get a Bronco made for offroad or if thats more you. In Europe Explorer is almost forgotten. Grand Cherokee and Cherokee of the 90s are what people build for offroad. It is still cool in 2020. It also helps that most suspension kits for Jeep are approved in Europe. None for Explorer.

My neighbor just rolled in with a fully optioned one. They are one of the better looking SUV's, as far as exterior goes. However, I sat inside of it, and other than the gauge cluster and center display, it felt very dated. Hard parts everywhere, and the buttons and door panels felt like they jumped right out of the 90's. Maybe it was just an option that he missed, but for the money he paid, I would think that a leather dash would be part of the deal. We paid $38K for out very fully optioned Durango RT in 2015, after some rebates, and it has a leather dash. The only option we didn't get was the automated cruise control and rear entertainment. Plus that was with 5 years and 0% interest on the financing. One note though, his exhaust tips had cleaner cuts where they turned down. They didn't look all hacked up like the one in this image. Maybe QC stepped in on that, or he got lucky.

I would question the real need for a portrait screen of that size. IMO the more information crammed onto the screen, the more the driver potentially is distracted while driving. Can these screens possibly even get bigger?!? Heavily contributes to an interior that misses the mark big time at that price point.

That ST isn't stock, is it? Do you know what mods it has?

A lot of tuning for sure.

My neighbor just rolled in with a fully optioned one. They are one of the better looking SUV's, as far as exterior goes. However, I sat inside of it, and other than the gauge cluster and center display, it felt very dated. Hard parts everywhere, and the buttons and door panels felt like they jumped right out of the 90's. Maybe it was just an option that he missed, but for the money he paid, I would think that a leather dash would be part of the deal. We paid $38K for out very fully optioned Durango RT in 2015, after some rebates, and it has a leather dash. The only option we didn't get was the automated cruise control and rear entertainment. Plus that was with 5 years and 0% interest on the financing. One note though, his exhaust tips had cleaner cuts where they turned down. They didn't look all hacked up like the one in this image. Maybe QC stepped in on that, or he got lucky.

The one we had was a pre-production unit.

I would question the real need for a portrait screen of that size. IMO the more information crammed onto the screen, the more the driver potentially is distracted while driving. Can these screens possibly even get bigger?!? Heavily contributes to an interior that misses the mark big time at that price point.

The big problem with it is that they don't make very good use of the space on the screen. The back-up camera only takes up half of it, etc.

Then again, just save up for a G63.

but a G63 is $150k+.... so i’m just curious how did we go from 60k car to 150k and skipped everything else in between.
I mean G63 is in its own class for sure, BUT there are others to consider as well...

A lot of tuning for sure.

The one we had was a pre-production unit.

The big problem with it is that they don't make very good use of the space on the screen. The back-up camera only takes up half of it, etc.
So it sounds like they could have made the screen a bit smaller if they paid more attention to utilizing the space. Hmmm, sounds like Ford might have a penile issue. o_O IMO a horizontal layout would be better all around and less of a distraction to the driver. Moving your eyes left to right rather than up and down is more intuitive. At least for me it is. I like the horizontal layout on my G-70.

For the life of me I can't see the reasoning behind the exhaust tips... What's the Point?

Never mind the iPad stuck on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread