2019 have the same engine tick as 2018?

Twisted2v

Established Member
Hey, as the title states- are the 2019 coyotes developing the same tick as the 2018? Has Ford made any adjustments?

TERMN8U

Established Member
Does anybody know what causes the tick? Does it lead to engine failure? How noticeable is it?

svt04cobra1

Established Member
I never had the issue with my 2018 or my 2019. Its hit or miss. Seems some people think they have the tick but is just the DI they hear. Others have it for sure and could case engine failure. Seems to be loose tolerance in the ring land. Someone posted pictures in Mustang6g. Ford says its normal with regards to the DI sound and does not cause any issues.

Twisted2v

Established Member
Is it possible to unplug or disconnect DI at idle?

The noise fades at full operating temps so it's hard to believe it's DI related.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I've been fortunate enough that I haven't experienced any ticking in my 2018 as of 7,000 miles. Matter of fact, the Gen1 5.0L in my FX4 makes more "noises" than the Gen3 in my 2018 Mustang.

C0y0teonC0rn

Ford already confirmed the BBQ "tick" is oil cavitation causing popping "bubbles", which is why they are inconsistent with RPM. The piston slap is common on nearly all and they released a TSB noting that its normal due to the piston materials and design. The rod knock in the oil pan is less common and is a clearancing issue that is a real problem, but not many folks have this. The ceratec additive folks are using helps with the BBQ tick because it changes the lubricity of the oil (its super slick), but doesnt affect the piston rattle since that is mechanical based on the piston design and materials. Also does nothing for rod knock. I'm not using any additives, just the standard 5W-20 Ford Synthetic Blend and a FL500. The piston rattle def is quieter after it warms up and the metals expand.

I had my 18 car scoped with the piston rattle and all was clear, oil was clean, Ford confirmed no issues. They also scoped a 2019 who had a worse rattle than mine, both bone stock, and both were clear and run great. If you get the rod knock, thats bad news. They will pull the oil pan and check clearances on it.

Users who are viewing this thread